Search Unity

voxel engine

Discussion in 'Physics' started by Tecknowolf01, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Tecknowolf01

Tecknowolf01

I have seen that there are several voxel assets, but they haven't been rated very well recently. Do you guys suggest making your own or is there a good one out there for Unity?

2. RuinsOfFeyrin

RuinsOfFeyrin

Hello,

I have never used any of the voxel related asset, so I can not speak for how well they work, dont work, or if they are easy to integrate in to anything. I decided to make my own so that I would understand how and why everything was working, and so that it suited my end goals instead of trying to make something else just work for me.

Also if any of the assets would work for you at all really depends on which ones you are talking about and the intended use for them, which you didn't mention.

The downside to using an asset is you have to tailor what you are doing to the asset, not the other way around.

The downside to making your own is that its not nearly as easy as you think. Below is a link to an on-going thread about developing voxel engines. It is a very very long thread, and most everything you need to know is covered there (either directly or by provided links). Please, if you intend to make your own read the thread from the beginning! No seriously, start on page 1 and read to the end.

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/after-playing-minecraft.63149/

Hope that helps.

3. Grillstern

Grillstern