Search Unity

Voxel based sandbox survival: Forgotten Lands

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Vanamerax, May 22, 2012.

1. Vanamerax

Vanamerax

Thank you! :)

2. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

A little capture of the game progress

3. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
  4. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

We are doing a new interface for the game, this is a screenshot of the player's UI still in progress~

Also we added some things like this (This was the bugged version, the new one handle the arms in a better way):

Or this (He's throwing an axe):

As i said you can check our progress on Trello, any suggestion, comment or criticism is really appreciated ^^!

Cheers!

mathias234 likes this.
  5. Myhijim

Myhijim

Loving the look guys, am I right in assuming for voxel terrain you are using Marching Cubes/Tetrahedrons or are you on something more like dual contouring?

Kirbyrawr likes this.
  6. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Hi there, Wasstraat65 is the one that know about the voxel since he's doing it haha, i can say that dual contouring is still not implemened, but he's looking to do it, and about what's using i really don't know : (
    Thanks Myhijim for your feedback : )

7. virror

virror

When did you two joined forces?!? Totally missed that : p
    Looking good as always though : D

Kirbyrawr likes this.
  8. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Hahahah
    Hahaha Virror it's a secret tss! xD
    Thanks a lot ^w^, i expect to see your game too!

9. Vanamerax

Vanamerax

That is correct, at the moment it is using marching cubes. I would like to implement dual contouring, if I can get my head around that though ;)

Haha, like Kirby said, it happened a bit in the background. I hope to be able to show a new video with the content merged :D

10. virror

virror

Well, the project merge make a lot of sense i think since you worked on pretty much the same concept, and two great coders are way better than one : D
    And both get one less competitor : p

Kirbyrawr likes this.
  11. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

I agree with your point, it was the same as mine hahah, and thanks again Virror ^w^!

12. Vanamerax

Vanamerax

No we're not dead. Both of us have got a lot to do unrelated to the project, but its still being worked on in the background. I have made a lot of performance improvements for the voxel terrain (multithreading, yeah!), bugfixes, working on a node editor to improve the workflow to control the procedural content generation. I hope to be able to upload a new video soon to show off some new stuff

Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
    Kirbyrawr likes this.
  13. virror

virror

Nice to see that you guys are still working on it : )

Vanamerax likes this.
  14. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Yeah we don't want to leave the project, and since we need to fund it i started to save money for unity pro and more things. :)

15. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Hi there little update for this, i recently got a job so i can't spend a lot of time on this, however i will develop each weekend i didn't do it because i was lazy but now it will be different haha :)

16. Myhijim

Myhijim

Glad to hear the project isn't dead, push through it guys! Huge inspiration to me :p

Kirbyrawr likes this.
  17. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Thanks Myhijim, i will be revamping the entire character controller these weeks so it will be a hard restart, haha.

mathias234 likes this.
  18. mathias234

mathias234

Great to see that it isnt dead :)

Kirbyrawr likes this.
  19. virror

virror

Keep it up! Im here cheering ; )

Kirbyrawr likes this.
  20. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

New UI is coming! :

100% Done from zero.
    It still need improvements but the UI will be like this, i think it's a little big so maybe i will scale it down...
    Any suggestion, criticism is accepted!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  21. KamGamesINc

KamGamesINc

Hey I like how you did this I'm also trying to make some trying to make some thing just like this(I'm bad at code) how did you learn how to do this only in my wildest dreams would I ever make some thing like what did. good job I feel voxel base terrains are the way to go for sandbox games now.

22. Vanamerax

Vanamerax

Thank you! Its hard to get a proper voxel terrain set up. Took me about two years of research, trying, rewriting etc to get a decently performing engine running. Still a long way to go though!

23. Hynopsis

Hynopsis

Yeah I hear you, i spent almost the same amount of time on mine, so good job I know it's a lot of work. Is your water volumetric or just a static block type? I'm almost finished with my 3d water and it has been really tough. And what are you doing for textures, are they manual or triplanar?

24. Vanamerax

Vanamerax

Thank you :) The water currently is volumetric, but it is just another 'opaque' blocktype like all the others. I have yet to implement water simulation (and voxel lighting). Textures are per-submesh right now with a triplanar shader. I will probably have to change this in order to support proper textureblending between multiple materials

Kirbyrawr likes this.