Search Unity

Vote for you favorite Game Modeling software

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by tchpowdog, Dec 16, 2011.

?

Which software do you prefer for game modeling?

1. Blender

42.3%
  2. Lightwave 3D

4.2%
  3. Maya

12.7%
  4. 3ds Max

19.7%
  5. Other

21.1%
  1. tchpowdog

tchpowdog

Vote for you favorite Game Modeling software!

2. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

My favorite is Wings3D but it has let me down lately, any chance of a unbiased comparison of Maya and 3ds max? everywhere i look its just fan boys, seems strange that they compete against them self?

3. giyomu

giyomu

XSI and Modo for the win ^^...

4. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

I do not understand what kind of informations this poll should bring you or others.
    It is clear that there are more 3DS Max users (owner or ...) and Blender is free and for that reson easier to test then most of the others.

Everyone has to test wich one is the best for him because it is mostly not the tool that makes the art.
    For me they are only tools and i use what i can pay for and feel good with.

I voted for Lightwave but it is just one tool from manny i use.

If money would not mean a thing i would use maya for animation and would like to use Softimage too like in the earler days when they only run on sgi´s.

5. larvantholos

larvantholos

this poll comes up monthly, please check the previous ones :)

6. ivanzu

ivanzu

Wrong there is more Blender users and there are 3dsmax users and 50% is pirated or student so kinda useless.

7. McDev02

McDev02

What is kinda useless and why student versions are?
    And Autodesk products are definitly most in use in generall, in the casual and hobbyist segment blender might be on the top of the list.

8. ivanzu

ivanzu

Its useless to use pirated version of 3dsmax,student version isn't useless but you cant do much with it too.

9. Silence

Silence

Sculptris all the way!

10. tra2002

tra2002

gimp -> sketchup -> blender -> unity -> win :)

11. BotMo

BotMo

It's kind of a slanted poll. Most hobbyists/indies go with blender because it's freeware. I admit is 'good' as far as freeware goes, but its so cumbersome and awkward.

12. tchpowdog

tchpowdog

I've been a Lightwave user for about 6 years and I really like and i'm fluent with it, but I think Blender is DEFINITELY better for making game models. Lightwave is a lot more powerful and has tons more tools but you don't need all that for game modeling... imo

13. tra2002

tra2002

It really just comes down to what you stick with a learn.

14. sama-van

sama-van

Mayaaaa!!!

15. jin76

jin76

maya ftw !

16. Wickedsunny

Wickedsunny

Zbrush guys. It rules the game world.

17. ArcainOne

ArcainOne

Have to go with Blender all the way. Switched from being a long term user of 3D Studio Max and will never go back.

18. tchpowdog

tchpowdog

Agreed... I really think Blender is just perfect for GAMES. I wouldn't use it for anything else lol. Lightwave is awesome for photorealistc type rendering and animation

19. chrisx84

chrisx84

Blender ftw. I have 3ds max educational but it doesnt give me the freedom that Blender gives to mesh and edit poly's.

20. SaltSlasher

SaltSlasher

I am not a professional, and only have an opinion. But i like Blender the most, cause of its price/performance.

My student version of all the Autodesk products is useless, I only practice with them for school.

I am still a noob with blender, but after the short amount of time that i have been using it, I am getting so accustom to it.

21. Unicron

Unicron

Max was what I used when I was going to school and favored it the most. Though I started using Blender a lot more when it turned 2.5 and loving it, more than Max actually. Only gripe I have with it is you can't import in .FBX files. I suggest checking out Blender Cookie for those who are just getting started with it as it has really great video tutorials.

22. Tysoe

Tysoe

I prefer Max but if your on a budget you can't really beat blender. Been using Blender on and off for about 15/16 years and Max just as long. Max had a few years where it was pretty awful but it's really come a long way in the last 3/4 years. I suggest you try any modeling tool your interested in since they all have free month trials or in the case of blender is free. See which one suits you best personally.

For the basics they all do the same kinds of things but have a slightly different approach which suits some people better than others. Kind of like choosing between watercolors, gauche, acrylics or oil paints something will feel right and they you just have to decide if you can budget for it.

23. ivanzu

ivanzu

You couldn't use Blender for 15/16 years when it was available since early 2000s.

24. Tysoe

Tysoe

Yeah sure I could, I first played with blender back in 1995 when it was a newcomer and couldn't quite break into the professional market. They had box retail versions with spring bound manuals and everything. They were doing all the CG trade shows with 3ds max 1 and Softimage and Maya was the new kid on the block. They went shareware not too long after. It's been out a LONG time, though it has changes significantly over the years just like Max, lightwave etc. But it's actually older than Maya and XSI

25. ivanzu

ivanzu

Looks like you are right :)
    http://www.blender.org/blenderorg/blender-foundation/history/

26. GabrielFarrugia

GabrielFarrugia

Programming Dept. FTW! :)

27. ArcainOne

ArcainOne

Yes Blender is perfect for games but I also have to state that I have seen a great and growing number of professional 3D artist beginning to adopt Blender to do high end 3D. One of the major reasons I switched from Max to Blender was because I felt Blender had just as much power as 3DS Max and more. In fact when I switched 3DS max still did not have static particals, they do now, but it was something blender had long ago. It also has the benefits of sculpting like ZBrush and it is constantly being improved during the Summer of Code. And lets not forget Blender's up and coming new renderer "Cycles". The people who are maintaining Blender are always trying to push it beyond the limit of current modeling technology. And they have to, because it is "free" there will always be people who want to dismiss it as second rate.