Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Vostopia Avatar System

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by KvanteTore, Feb 27, 2012.

1. KvanteTore

KvanteTore

Hi all!

We've just released the free tier of the vostopia avatar system. Check it out at https://vostopia.com/developer.

The sdk is also available for download from the asset store, http://u3d.as/content/vostopia/vostopia-avatar-system/3gU

The main idea of the avatar system is to let users setup and customize their avatars once and then be able to use the same avatar in all the games using the system. We have done all the difficult parts like hosting the assets and the player outfits, as well as a unity plugin for connecting to our api and assembling the avatar parts to a single skinned mesh renderer for optimized rendering. All you have to do is drop a prefab into your scene and you'll have avatars loading in no time.

We are creating an open ecosystem of avatar goods, where you, the game developers, can create and sell assets to end users using our microtransaction storefront. At the moment we have created a selection of clothes the players can choose from, and this will only grow with more games adopting the system.

Features:
    • Really, really easy to get started :)
    • Free to use, even for commercial projects (upgrade to a paid tier to create and sell custom items)
    • Customizable shaders to match your rendering style
    • Works on facebook/web/desktop/ios/android
    • Open ecosystem of avatar items, letting the players express themselves with a mix of outfits
    • Basic anims including walk and idles are included
    • Animated eyes and mouths
    • Integrated with the locomotion system of Rune Skovbo Johansen
    • HIK rig in Maya for animation work and animation transfers
    • Integrated with the new animation system in Unity4 (mecanim) for automatic retargeting
    • Works with both pro and non-pro versions of unity
    • Integrates with Google Wallet, Facebook Credits, Apple In App Purchases and Google Play In App Billing to support virtual currency purchases cross platform.
    • In game UI for account creation, login, dressingroom and shop included

NGUI is used to implement user interfaces the dressingroom, and NGUI mut be installed in the project before importing the dressingroom unitypackage. It is possible to use the evaulation version of ngui for evaulation purposes, but in order to publish games with the dressingroom, a commercial license is required. See http://www.tasharen.com/?page_id=140 for more details about NGUI.

We have also teamed up with Exitgames and created a demo integrating the avatar system with Photon Cloud. This shows how to use the avatars in a networked environment, and also shows integration with the locomotion system of Rune Skovbo Johansen. This would serve as a good start for any project where you want avatars running around in a networked environment.

Check out the online dressingroom demo. It shows the default dressingroom/shop that we ship with the avatar api. On the commercial plan, you can sell your own items (both for the avatar and otherwise), and easily set up your own virtual currencies. You get the full source for the UI, so you can easily modify or extend/change the UI to suit your game, or you could create your own dressingroom UI using our api to retrieve items and offers.

Please let me know what you guys think!

Update: Version 1.4
    Version 1.4 is just out, and includes support for non-pro versions of Unity :)

Update: Version 1.5
    Version 1.5 is just out. Avatars can now be loaded on iOS and Android as well.

Update: Version 1.9
    • New NGUI based authentication flow (including registration) is now implemented.
    • Basic in-game dressingroom is also implemented.
    • Mobile loading performance has been improved by caching avatar assets on device.
    • Optional low-res textures for smaller memory footprint on mobiles

Update: Version 1.14
    • NGUI Based shop is now implemented, complete with virtual currency and item purchases
    • Google Wallet is implemented as a payment provider for the open platforms (web/desktop).

Update: Version 1.17
    • The Avatar API can now be used without NGUI. The NGUI based dressingroom is separated in a separate unitypackage

Update: Version 2.1
    • Mecanim retargeting and state machine integration
    • Facial animation system
    • Apple In App Purchase integration

Update: Version 2.4
    • Google Play In-app billing integration
    • New examples of the in-engine dressing room:
    • New default environment and lighting setup
    • Clearer UI design
    • Examples of both normal and SD proportions
    • Various other small bug fixes

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  2. p6r

p6r

Sounds very interesting...

6R

3. Slem

Slem

I can attest to it's ease of use and power. We've used it one project so far (I won't steal vostopias thunder and post link here) and I only used about a day to integrate it. Mind you that this was a game that already was at an alpha stage.

Kudos on the new developer site. It looks great!

4. Zhosay

Zhosay

I cant find anything about animations. Do the avatars allready have some animations?

5. KvanteTore

KvanteTore

We have a few idle anims and a walk cycle anim included in the package. We're also working on getting a few emotes in as well. The avatars also work with mixamo anims, so you could source any additional anims you might need from there.

In general we want to provide basic anims that are useful for most games, while leaving game specific anims to the game developers. If you have any suggestions that would be useful for a lot of games, please let us know, and it's definitely something we'll consider :)

I edited the original post to have some info about anims.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  6. Zhosay

Zhosay

Just registered some hours ago. Gonna test it out the next days the idea looks good. But how easy/hard it is to implement in an existent game I'm going to figure out.

7. KvanteTore

KvanteTore

Cool! Please let me know how you're getting on. Either here or directly on skype (KvanteTore) or email/jabber (tore@vostopia.com).

Are you using Maya? We can supply a HIK rig which you can use if you need additional anims, or have anims on another skeleton you want to try to transfer.

I'm flying to San Francisco on saturday (21h flight including layovers :/), to attend GDC next week, so my online availability might vary a bit over the next week or so.

8. Biggles

Biggles

Hi,

To give you a better feel for the system, here is our latest showreel that shows it in use in a couple of different games. It also has some shots from the customisation interface and the exit games demo.

9. Aileron

Aileron

Great Idea, but have you guys thought of opening it up to other Avi types and models, just Maya and your cartoony characters may not be enough to gather the users. There are many opensim VW grids like Secondlife that have a need for an avi store and already have a mass of assets ready to go.

IF you can host several avi biped types, you will have a winner. The range of hair and clothes designs on IBM/Intel backed opensims and SL are stunning ... and are already looking for a bigger market. The use of hypergrids mean they can already visit many different VW's, to be able to take their own avis into Unity games and spaces would be very appealing. Re osgrid.org, avination.com reactiongrid.com anisphere.com 3rdrock.com sciencegrid etc... etc...

10. p6r

p6r

I have created my avatar to test your nice system...
    But I don't understand how to insert the character in my unity game !?!

6R

11. pixelsteam

pixelsteam

This looks great! I anticipate you will constantly expand the characters and asset base.

12. Biggles

Biggles

@Aileron:
    We don't know too much about the virtual worlds you mention, thanks for the links! We will have a look and see if we can do anything to support those, or at least make it easy for other developers to do so.
    When it comes to the style of the avatar, it is possible to do quite a lot with lighting and shaders. You can see some examples here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uw2KabuHo8c.
    It is also possible to use any art tool that can output an fbx to create assets.

@p6r:
    To build the avatar system into your game, head to http://vosotpia.com/developer and sign up for an API key (on the "Get Started" tab). Then follow the steps in http://vostopia.com/docs/files/Docs/AvatarLoading-txt.html. The whole process should take less than half an hour.

@24pfilms:
    Thanks! We are definitely working to increase the customisation options, both for the base avatars and for the clothing/items they can wear. Even more importantly, this is an avatar platform where avatars can go between all the games that integrate it, so we are working to open the item creation up to developers as well. You can already see an example of that with the cycling game on our site. That game has been made by a studio called Turbo Tape Games and they are creating their own items for the avatars. You can see the shop for that game here: http://www.vostopia.com/en/vpd/avatar/#page=shop. The attached image shows one of the categories in that shop.

Bjarne

Attached Files:

13. Aileron

Aileron

The thing with the opensource opensim projects is they require a user account and avatar on the system you join. With use of hypergrid links, users are able to connect to other opensim servers. The missing element for opemsim is one central avi store where the user logs in and then hypergrid teleports to another different grid taking their assets with them. You guys have solved a problem for them and the opensimulator market has many thousands of users. Secondlife.com (linden labs) prevent users from taking their assets out of their grid, but all the other grids are very keen. Anyway, just a heads up for a huge established market that your site could tap into... joined yours as a developer, will include in our next games. Look forward to seeing your idea grow. btw we run anisphere.com just for dev purposes but it will give you an idea, if you want to do some dev work using our grid, let me know

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  14. pixelsteam

pixelsteam

Great kit.
    Have you created any relationships with any MMO server people such as ulink or..UnityPark?

Best of luck at GDC;)

15. Biggles

Biggles

@Aileron
    The opengrid is still new to me. I understand there is world data and viewers for that data. Are those viewers made in Unity? In that case it should be quite straightforward to drop our avatars in.

@24pfilms
    Thanks! We've made a demo with Exit games already for the photon cloud. You can check it out at http://www.vostopia.com/developer/downloads/. We're also talking to more middleware and networking companies, so we hope we can get some more demos up before too long.

16. Aileron

Aileron

No, that's part of the problem, but the avi's are standardised bipeds and easily available to work with, each grid simply talks to its own database. But its not hard to connect and insert into each database as each registered avi has its own inventory folders that can be added to or changed from outside the game using mysql queries in php or even javascript It just needs the usual permissions. So inventory can be added from an external source, also the opensim software will allow external modules to be written and called when starting. On top of dealing with individual grid instances with different db's, there is another function called hypergrid, which allows an avi from one grid to 'teleport' into another taking their inventory with them. (like going from one unity instance to another with the same avi) So an easy way for a company like yours is to host your own instance (very simple), allow people to register an account with you and then hypergrid to any grid or instance that's online and enabled for hypegrid.

Hard to put it all into a few words, but essentially, either a unity based mod could be written for opensim or you could simply set up your own instance to allow hypergrid access, using the web front end you already have. As I say, if you want to see the system in action, contact me and I will setup a user account on our grid so you can get an idea of how it works. Because its opensource there is a lot of documentation of all aspects. Unity and opensim share many similarities, but opensim is a fixed prebuilt mmo framework and networking is already built in, no need for extra server software. There are many, many thousands of regular users that already buy inworld. Contact me here or thru anisphere.com I can explain in more detail.

My main point is that a company which hosts avi registration, inventory and assets across multiple virtual world platforms will find an enormous and growing market at their fingertips. Users are constantly frustrated by not having a central avi asset store to go from one world to the other. If you could host multiple avi types compatible with multiple avi based vw platforms, the market is already huge and will become mega. Most of the grids have internal currency mods already setup and easy to interface with...

17. Biggles

Biggles

Thanks for filling me in. I'll contact you offline to discuss more.

18. Biggles

Biggles

To those of you who have downloaded the system and started playing with it, how are you getting on? If there's any way we can help, let us know. We are already working on more cool stuff after getting back from GDC :)

19. TouchSoft

TouchSoft

Interesting and looking into this a little more. I'm just a little hesitant on using a third party for a system so tightly integrated with our soon-to-be community of gamers. What happens if you all take on a different business direction and decide the Avatar System will no longer be supported? Is there a fall back in place for customers?

This is my biggest question when it comes to this system. Thanks.

20. Biggles

Biggles

Hi,

That is a very good question. Like any service, we can not guarantee that it will be running forever, but we are committed to making it thrive. We founded the company two years ago to create a universal avatar system, and have been working to that goal ever since. The system has been live and tested for the better part of a year and more games are on the way.

Do you have specific fallbacks in mind?

Best,
    Bjarne

21. TouchSoft

TouchSoft

If (heavens forbid) you all did take on other ventures, leaving the system behind, I'd hope as a developer and someone who has invested in this product that you all would at the very least have the project open sourced. If that isn't feasible, then maybe licensing the system with source to game studios.

Basically I'd feel better knowing that ALL wouldn't be lost. As you can imagine, this isn't the kind of thing you could just rip from a community. Thats like if Xbox deleted all avatars... People would go mad.

I think the system is Kool and i'm very interested in it. That was my only concern.

22. Biggles

Biggles

We hear you loud and clear. We will do all we can to support anyone using the system in their games. We have already made this commitment to the games that are using the system (including Velocipede, not made by us), and for more games that are on the way. We are really excited to see the usage grow, and can't wait to see what people do with it!

23. KvanteTore

KvanteTore

I've published version 1.5 of the AvatarApi. The main new feature is support for loading the avatar on iOS and Android. :D

There are now two main "modes" the avatars can be loaded in. The default is with CombineMeshes enabled and StampingMethod set to GPU. The other is CombineMeshes disabled, and StampingMethod set to LayeredMaterials. (CombineMeshes and StampingMethod are options set on the AvatarController)

With CombineMeshes enabled, all avatar meshes are assembled into a single mesh to optimize for rendering speed, but assembling the avatar takes a bit of time. This is recommended for when you have the avatar rendering in the game and the outfit does not change (often).

With CombineMeshes disabled, all avatar meshes are kept separate, and with StampingMethod set to LayeredMaterials, no texture stamping is performed either. This makes avatar loading a bit quicker, and is the
    recommended mode for a dressingroom type of situation, where the avatar changes outfit a lot. It comes at a cost of rendering speed though. Depending on the outfit and lighting, a single avatar might use 100+ draw calls, compared to about 2-6 when the meshes are combined.

24. reset

reset

I think this is a great idea!! It is exactly what I need for my project.

I have some questions:

Can I change the login splash screen into Vostopia? I would prefer to have a splash screen that told the visitor that they can enter my game world as a default "guest" character or join Vostopia and create a wonderfully unique character to enter the game world with. The current splash screen is confusing.

My concern too is the networking overhead. If I am in a game and five avatars suddenly join is this not going to create significant latency on the network? I noticed when my avatar spawned in it took some time.

Also I think that it would be great if a user who wants to simply use a guest avatar can choose female or male. :)

thanks

I think that you have a really amazing idea here but my concern is how it interfaces with other games/worlds.

25. KvanteTore

KvanteTore

Hi reset, thanks for trying out our avatars!

At the moment, the login screen is hard coded using OnGUI :-/. I am, however, working on a much improved login flow. It is based on NGUI, and will be far more customizable, both in terms of visual appearance, and how you want to treat guest users.

Regarding avatars taking up lots of resources on load, that is actually what I'm working on _right_ now :). You'll be able to set limits for how much resources the avatar system should spend loading new avatars to ensure that the game is running smooth while avatars are loading in the background.

Furthermore, for non web apps (where we have access to a persistent storage) the avatar system will cache item assets, which should reduce the network usage significantly.

We're also working on a dressingroom that is purely in-game (in contrast to the web based one we have now). This will allow your players to have the full avatar experience without leaving to our website to set up their avatars. The dressingroom will come integrated with our shop system, which will allow you to monetize on selling avatar assets or other virtual items.

All in all, it's looking to be an exciting summer, with lots of cool avatar stuff coming.

Would you mind telling a bit about your project, either here or in a PM? I'd love to understand how we can help you make the avatars awesome in your project :)

26. reset

reset

Thanks KvanteTore

I have sent you a PM

R

27. KvanteTore

KvanteTore

I've pushed v1.9 of the avatar api. It now includes an improved authentication flow and a prototype of the in game dressingroom. Both new UIs are implemented using NGUI, and NGUI is now a prerequisite for using vostopia avatars. It is possible to use the evaulation version of ngui for evaulation purposes, but in order to publish games, a commercial license is required. See http://www.tasharen.com/?page_id=140 for more details about NGUI.

The new authentication flow allows users to sign up direcly in game without first visiting vostopia.com. Users supply their email address, and a new user is created for them. New users can opt to play as guests without creating an account, and can choose whether to get a male or female avatar to start out with.

The dressingroom ui is still in prototype stage. There is no shop at the moment, and it is optimized for a touch interface. There will be more updates to this over the summer to add more functionality, but it should let you integrate avatars in your projects without referring users to the vostopia.com website (unless they want to get more clothes options than the basic clothes handed to them at start).

As always, we'd love to get some feedback of what we can improve, and what you need the most from your #1 avatar system :)

28. KvanteTore

KvanteTore

We are now live on the Asset Store! :D

http://u3d.as/content/vostopia/vostopia-avatar-system/3gU

New in 1.14 is support for purchasing virtual avatar items in the in-game store, as well as topping up virtual currency using Google Wallet. Try out the dressingroom demo.

Bjarne, Ciara an Mike are at Unite, so if you're there, make sure to drop by the vostopia stand and check out the mecanim integration demo.

29. portgalaxy

portgalaxy

We have been using Vostopia and it's great. We will have to update to the latest version though :)

30. runningbird

runningbird

It would be nice to have a better example of the token authentication for say facebook or your own login system.

Runningbird Studios has been using Vostopia for a while now and it's works great for player avatars as well as NPC's in the game.

31. portgalaxy

portgalaxy

Will there be some new clothes, hairstyles, or animations coming soon then? We've still had trouble getting the female avatar animations working properly. Will that be fixed with mecanim? (Not fixed, but made easier?) Also as I mentioned we've not yet updated to 1.14 but if the in-game store works perhaps you can describe that to me on here or on skype some time?

Thanks,
    Riley

32. bjarnatar

bjarnatar

We put out a couple of new hairstyles a couple of days ago (have a look here), let us know if there's any particular style you would like to see and we can get it in.

What was your problem with the female animations? Were they the animations that are included in the package, or is it your own? The female anims should work nicely even without mecanim, but it will allow us to do even more things, and do scaling more easily.

We are still working on getting the creator plan finalised, but will do so as soon as we are back from Unite :) The creator plan allows you to create items, upload them to the vostopia back end which will host them in the cloud like they do for the exsisting Vostopia Assets. You can then set up offers based on these items where you can control price, availability, whether it is a limited use item and many more parameters. I hope that gives you a good idea, and I will do a better writeup when Unite is over :)

33. bjarnatar

bjarnatar

@runningbird - We will put up some better documentation on the authentication stuff as well.

34. portgalaxy

portgalaxy

Sounds great. Using 3rd party animations from Mixamo, we have been unable to get them working properly on the female avatar. This has something to do with 'adding curves' to the animation. We follow the steps, but it doesn't give us the option to add curves. Maybe we are missing something, but yes I just wondered if mecanim would remove the need to do this.

35. DarkArtsProdigy

DarkArtsProdigy

I recently created a new game and as the first scene I add Vostopia and I entered all the information but when I clicked play it read "All compiler error have to be fix before you can enter playmode".

What does this mean?

36. KvanteTore

KvanteTore

@portgalaxy, I'll make an editor tool to ensure that there are animation curves on the shoulder translations. Right now, I'm trying to lull my newborn daughter to sleep with one hand, while typing with the other, and I'll be a bit busy with that, but I'll try to post something in the next few days. With mecanim, there is no scaling animation, just retargeting to a female rig, so those problems will be gone.

@DarkArtsProdigy,It means that there is a compiler error in your project. It usually happens if you don't have NGUI imported in your project, because some of the vostopia scripts reference NGUI classes. Please import ngui, either the evaluation or commercial version and let me know the exact compiler error you are getting if the problem persists.

37. DarkArtsProdigy

DarkArtsProdigy

thank you i fixed it, but now how do i get the avatars to walk around in my terrain? Do I create a new scene or do I keep it on the same scene and create a terrain? I tried both but nothing happened.

38. KvanteTore

KvanteTore

Actually creating gameplay with the avatar will most likely take a fair bit of scripting to get going. I would reccomend you take a look at the photon cloud example available on http://vostopia.com/developer/downloads. That example has a scene where the avatars can walk around. Hopefully that'll help you get started. :)

39. DarkArtsProdigy

DarkArtsProdigy

i get what the link is, because i've done it before, but do you ave any idea what the scripting is so my avatar can walk around in my game?

40. KvanteTore

KvanteTore

The very simplest way of getting the avatars to move around is to put a ThirdPersonController on the avatar controller. Both classes are available in the Character Controllers standard package.

I've attached a very simple example, showing how you can set it up.

A more advanced solution is to use the locomotion system of Rune Skovbo Johanssen (http://unity3d.com/support/resources/unity-extensions/locomotion-ik), it requires a bit more setup, but has some IK foot placement to reduce skating. The mentioned photon integration example also contains an example of to set up the locomotion system.

Attached Files:

41. Elzean

Elzean

Hi,

i have been tested your avatar system with photon during the week end, i just have a problem when building a standalone for windows. Everything work fine in unity, then the build succeed but when i start the .exe i got this error inside the output_log.txt :

TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'UnityEngine.iPhone' from assembly 'vostopia.AvatarApi'.
    at VostopiaAuthController+<ConnectRunner>c__IteratorE.MoveNext () [0x002b3] in D:\Unity\Projects\2D_Game\2D_Game\Assets\vostopia\authentication\scripts\ui\VostopiaAuthController.cs:174

Do you have an idea on how i could fixe this ?

Thanks !

42. KvanteTore

KvanteTore

@portgalaxy, I've attached an editor script to create the correct curves on LeftArm and RightArm if none exist.

Place the FixFemaleAnimation.cs in Assets/Editor or similar. Select the animation clip you got from mixamo in the project browser, right click and select Vostopia -> Fix Female Animation Clip. If the clip is missing position curves on the LeftArm/RightArm bones, it will create a simple curve to reset the arm positions every frame. This stops the additive female animation scaling clip from sending the arms to infinity and beyond.

Give me a shout if that does not help.

Attached Files:

43. KvanteTore

KvanteTore

@Elzean, that very much sounds like a bug on our part. It is probably some iphone-specific code that is not guarded by platform checks. I'll try to get a fix out tomorrow.

44. Elzean

Elzean

Thanks, that's the only thing i need to publish the demo i have been working on to present Vostopia to my company ;)

45. runningbird

runningbird

Is the Photon example updated to the newer version of the API last I saw it was 1.8 which uses the older gui?

46. KvanteTore

KvanteTore

@Elzean, I've updated the avatar api to version 1.15, which includes a fix for your problem. It's pending asset store approval, but should be available on the asset store shortly. You can also find version 1.15 in the download section on our site http://vostopia.com/developer/downloads.

@runningbird, yes, I've updaated the photon example to version 1.15 as well now :)

47. Elzean

Elzean

Hi again !

The last version is working better and i succeed to export for windows and its working. Next i tried the webplayer but i'm against a new error coming from the Unity Web Player :

Code (csharp):
    1. Invoking web surround to get vostopia parameters
    3. (Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d7496a7abf5e4fea/Runtime/ExportGenerated/WebPlayer/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 43)
    5. Got Vostopia Parameters: {}
    7. (Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d7496a7abf5e4fea/Runtime/ExportGenerated/WebPlayer/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 43)
    9. MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'System.IO.File.ReadAllText'.
    10.   at VostopiaAuthController+<ConnectRunner>c__IteratorE.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    12. (Filename:  Line: -1)

I don't know if it's something i did wrong but else it's working fine in the editor and with the windows standalone.

Thanks for your help !

48. KvanteTore

KvanteTore

I'm really sorry about that! I quickly made a few changes right before submitting the initial asset store version (big mistake!). These changes unfortunately introduced bugs on pretty much all platforms except iOS :(.

I've fixed the webplayer bug in version 1.16. It is pending assetstore approval, but you can get it from our download section (http://vostopia.com/developer/downloads) in the mean time.

Thanks for telling me about the bug. Now I'm off to improve our test suite, so this doesn't happen again. :)

49. cynel

cynel

is it possible to use the avatars as test models for my RPG

50. bjarnatar

bjarnatar

@cynel - It is absolutely possible to use the avatars to test your RPG. If you download the Unity package and create a game ID, you can download the avatar of the logged in user, or any other that you have the avatar ID for (whether it is other online players, or NPCs that you have set up). Feel free to play with the system.

Of course if you want to use the system when your game ships, we can do a fair bit of the heavy lifting for you on both avatars and item ownership / microtransactions :) On our asset creator plan which we are working hard on launching, you will be able to define that players of your game will only be able to use assets you have created for the game (as long as you allow players to take those items out), so maybe that will make it a fit even in production?

unityunity