Search Unity

Volumetric Fog & Mist - AAA realistic and animated fog, dust, low clouds and mist

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Kronnect, Dec 1, 2015.

1. docsavage

docsavage

Hi @Thrawn75,

Update looks really nice. Just wondering did you ever get chance to look at connecting the fog and mist to windzone and wind controls?

Still really like this package.

2. Kronnect

Kronnect

Yes, tried that, and the only way to have different fog speeds is to have different fog areas and still the result is not optimal.

3. docsavage

docsavage

Thanks for trying. I'll try and think of a way around it. Thanks anyway:)

4. Kronnect

Kronnect

Update 6.4 is available now and here're the changes explained:

- Inverted fog void is deprecated - now called fog areas, have a specific section in inspector:

Existing inverted void areas should be converted automatically to fog area section, but if you're making them through the API then you'll need to use the new properties.

This improvement allows you to create a void into a fog area, which is useful if you have several fog areas and a void area around a character, ship or any other object while crossing those fog areas.

- Added Build Options to remove some shader features easily

As in Beautify, you now have a Build Options section where you can disable some of the shader keywords. Reducing keywords will dramatically reduce the compilation time and also the build size, since no unused shader variants will be generated. This option is included for convenience because you could always edit the shader file and comment out the unwanted keywords by yourself, but now you can do that from the same inspector which is safer and more practical.

- Improved fog distance effect.

Previously when using the fog distance parameter, fog would use transparency to create a smooth gradient between the camera and the specified distance. This effect was not so smooth in the end since depending on the angle of view it could cause the fog to appear abruptly at the distance. This has been improved and the fog distance threshold has more importance now to create a more natural look and smooth transition (if you're updating you will need to update the distance and threshold parameters).

docsavage likes this.
  5. MrArcher

MrArcher

Hi Thrawn,

Love the product!

I was wondering if there's support for single pass stereo rendering?

6. Kronnect

Kronnect

Thanks! It works on VR as you can see in the demo reel of this month but I can't confirm compatibility with Single Pass Stereo Rendering yet.

7. ianwilliams040

ianwilliams040

Hi Thrawn,

Your Fog looks amazing, we are doing a project in PSVR using Unity and need to use Forward Rendering could you tell me if it will work in this way?

8. Kronnect

Kronnect

Thank you. Yes, it works on VR and forward rendering. I have not tested it on PS specifically but will help you fix any issue that could arise.

9. docsavage

docsavage

This looks very nice.

Kronnect likes this.
  10. ianwilliams040

ianwilliams040

awesome thanks for confirming.

11. Kronnect

Kronnect

12. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi guys,

A few updates see the light on the Asset Store including improved VR and Unity 5.5 support. All of the following effects have been updated and verified to work fine with an Oculus DK2 with and without Single Pass Stereo feature:

- Beautify: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#!/content/61730

- Dynamic Fog & Mist: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#!/content/48200

- Volumetric Fog & Mist: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#!/content/49858

- Tunnel FX: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#!/content/68564

As always feel free to post your comments, screenshots and/our requests here or on our dedicated support forum at kronnect.com.

Cheers!

13. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi! Happy to announce Terrain Grid System is on 24h SALE today!
    This is a flexible, documented and well supported grid system for both Unity terrain and 2D projects - check it out, you might be interested!
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#!/content/47215

14. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi and wishing a marvellous 2017 to everyone!

Cool news. Beta 1 of Volumetric Fog & Mist v7 is now available on our support forum on kronnect.com.

Among the new features, two great improvements:

Up to x8 downsampling now allowed plus new edge improvement algorithm.
    For those looking for the best performance, and thanks to the new edge improve you can now choose to downsample the fog buffer up to x8. This is optimal when using Volumetric Fog & Mist for cloud rendering, but it works quite well in other scenarios. Also smaller downsampling factors (x2, x4) have improved a lot as well.

New Depth Blur.
    This new option blurs the color buffer in the final composition according to depth looking for extra light scattering effect. Example (click the image to enlarge):

This new upgrade is available to all customers from today for free on kronnect.com.
    Hope you like it.

docsavage and radimoto like this.
  15. Kronnect

Kronnect

Beta 2 available on kronnect.com. Includes a new max distance falloff parameter which smoothly blends fog end with skybox/background:

16. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi!

Version 7 is now available on the Asset Store. This update includes the following additions:

- Improved edge correction algorithm
    - Downsampling up to x8 allowed
    - New Depth Blur effect
    - Added Point Light Check interval parameter and optimized search routine
    - Added Max Distance FallOff parameter to smoothly blend fog end with sky/background
    - Fixed issue with provided sprite shaders related to shadows in deferred rendering path

Please close any scene (or create a new one temporarily), delete previous Volumetric Fog & Mist folder before importing the new update.

Check the build options as well, as new shader features have been incorporated in this update (and you may want to disable some).

Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  17. Kronnect

Kronnect

v7.1 is coming!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
    Lex4art likes this.
  18. Danirey

Danirey

Hi,

Great asset! I'm following it for a long time. Can i ask if it is possible to use spot lights and get a lighthouse shaft like effect?

Thanks!

19. Kronnect

Kronnect

Spotlights are not supported yet.

Danirey likes this.
  20. Danirey

Danirey

Thanks! Anyway, i bought it.

It's great!

Kronnect likes this.
  21. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi there!

v7.1 beta 2 is now available on our support forum. This update adds support for XY plane rendering as well, which is great for 2D games or vertical effects.

Cheers

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
    docsavage and Danirey like this.
  22. cfantauzzo

cfantauzzo

Hello! Is there a way I can animate a cloudscape so it doesn't look like a static plane moving through worldspace, but instead has some life to it? Perhaps with an animated noise texture?

23. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi @cdmpants, stay tuned for next updates - this is something actually under experimentation - thanks for your suggestion!

24. cfantauzzo

cfantauzzo

Well I'm excited now :D

Kronnect likes this.
  25. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi everyone!

V7.1 is now live on the Asset Store. Here's a briefing with the new goodies:

- Sun shadows.
    Now you can make the Sun (the directional light you assign in the inspector) cast shadows over the fog. Works great when looking the fog from the top. A demo scene is included with this setup:

- Ability to render along XY plane
    This new option is useful for 2D games that still use perspective camera or to render gigantic walls of mist, also nice for background effects in menus, etc.

This update also contains some fixes (PS4 glitches fixed) and internal improvements.

Enjoy!

26. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi!
    Good news - we have a new beta with support for Orthographic camera!
    If you own a copy of Volumetric Fog & Mist, get it from our support forum.
    Cheers!

27. Kronnect

Kronnect

Added turbulence feature in latest beta. Why not visit our support forum on kronnect.com and get it now :)
    v7.2 will be submitted in a few days!

28. TechDeveloper

TechDeveloper

Wow thats great!
    My current project doesnt require this feature so I'll wait for the release on the asset store. looking forward to testing it on old project.
    How is the performance impact on mobile?

29. Kronnect

Kronnect

Volumetric Fog & Mist is not intended for mobile so I can't say as it's not being tested on those platforms. It could run fine on modern devices with proper downsampling though. However Dynamic Fog & Mist is included in the package which is compatible with mobile (has lot of variants for mobile indeed).

30. Kronnect

Kronnect

Happy to announce v7.2 is now available with two great new features:

- Turbulences, makes the fog more compelling adding random transitions.

- Orthographic Camera support! Finally it's here - not only you can now switch to plane X/Y for rendering the fog, but it now supports orthographic projection!

31. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

Thank you for shadows!!!

32. gskinner

gskinner

We specifically bought this because it claimed to support stereo-rendering on the asset page, but I'm seeing double with 5.5.1p3 and Single Pass (Fast) mode.

Can you clarify?

33. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi! Yes, Single Pass Stereo Rendering has been implemented and tested with Oculus DK2. Can you please send us an email including a screenshot of Volumetric Fog & Mist settings and your VR device model? Thanks.

34. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi everyone!
    A fix for Single Pass Stereo Rendering and OpenVR SDK is now available on our support forum on kronnect.com.
    Please send us an email if you need it now.
    It will be of course included in next update!
    Cheers

Akshara likes this.
  35. Ceyl

Ceyl

Hi there,

I still have issues using this asset with Single Pass Stereo Rendering and OpenVR. At the moment it simply disappear when I change my project to SPSR... Any advice? Does it really work with OpenVR/Vive? Now that we are optimize our game, it's a blocking feature for us.

Cheers

36. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi there,

Once you have changed to SPSR, select your camera and ensure the Single Pass Stereo toggle at the end of Volumetric Fog & Mist inspector is enabled. It should work as expected once this toggle gets refreshed.

Regards.

37. Ceyl

Ceyl

It is check by default according to player settings. But good news is it now seems to work properly. I did nothing special. Maybe due to Unity reload. I keep you updated if I still have similar issue or bug repro.

Thanks.

Kronnect likes this.
  38. gecko

gecko

Hi,
    In one scene, on Volumetric Fog inspector, I've set Fog Geometry: Density to 0.06, but after I save and reload the scene, it switches back to 0.2. How do I get it to stick at 0.06?

39. Kronnect

Kronnect

There's nothing in Volumetric Fog that sets the density to 0.2 so it seems like the change is not marking the scene as dirty and it's the change is not being saved. Try changing any other value in the scene to make sure the changes to the fog are also saved. I'll improve this in the next update.

40. gecko

gecko

That was it, thanks!

41. Hormic

Hormic

I have a hard time to get it to work properly with Realistic FPS Prefab -> https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/7739.
    RFPS uses 2 cameras, when i attach the fog to the weapon camera, which renders weapons and GUI, i can see fog but it looks not very good.
    When i attach the fog script to the maincamera which renders all other layers i have a black screen.
    Do you have some experience using it with Realistic FPS?

42. Hormic

Hormic

It is working now on the maincam, but its a fragile thing i had two unity crashes before, but now it works.
    But I have one question:
    This bush on the picture is transparent where the fog is, is this a layer issue?
    Unity_2017-03-22_14-41-17.jpg

43. Kronnect

Kronnect

Sorry for late reply. I didn't get a notification for your post.
    You may need to enable the "Render Before Transparent" and also "Improve Transparency" options in the inspector. If the issue persists, could you please send an email to contact@kronnect.me with a very sample scene as a repro? Thanks!

Hormic likes this.
  44. Kronnect

Kronnect

DoorFortyFour studio has launched a new great trailer for their upcoming MarZRising tactical base defense game:

This is a good example of the masking features in Volumetric Fog & Mist (Fog of war).

radimoto, GiantGrey and docsavage like this.
  45. GiantGrey

GiantGrey

Thank you @Thrawn75
    Volumetric Fog & Mist really helped us to push the visual quality of MarZRising. We tried several fog of war systems but none of them were so beautiful and appealing like Volumetric Fog & Mist. The masking feature is awesome, we can easily paint our masks for each level and load them at runtime easily.

Kronnect likes this.
  46. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi everyone!

I'd like to invite you to participate in the 1st Annual Beautify Contest to be celebrated in April (starts tomorrow!). The winner takes $200 USD and there'll be also free vouchers for all the 4 remaining finalists!

Rules here: https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/1...test-april-2017-discussions-and-rules.462417/

The submission thread will be created tomorrow. Stay tuned and prepare to share your shots / video clips. Posting earlier increases your chances to get likes and win!

wetcircuit likes this.
  47. jashan

jashan

I just ran into a fairly peculiar issue: Volumetric Fog works just fine in VR in our project. We use single-pass stereo rendering. For screenshots, we have additional cameras that are not rendered to the HMD. Those cameras show VolumetricFog while not in play-mode but as soon as we activate Play mode, the fog disappears.

I've tried all kinds of things, like removing all image effects and so forth, nothing made a difference. However, when I switch of "Virtual Reality supported" in the player settings, it suddenly also works in play mode.

One weird thing about this is that even when we have all VR-cams switched off, it still doesn't work. But as soon as we disable VR in the Player Settings, it works.

It didn't work in a previous version and I've just updated to the most current release from the Unity Asset Store and that shows the same behaviour. This is on Unity 5.5.2p4 (I believe we didn't have this issue in Unity 5.4.3 and/or 5.5.2p2 but we're not doing screenshots all the time, so all I can say is that it worked "earlier", probably with Unity 5.4.3, and now broke).

While having a workaround is nice, we also use these cameras for creating videos, so we need this to eventually work while actually playing the game (in VR ;-) ).

48. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi!
    Latest version autodetects whether you're using Single Pass Stereo Rendering or not based on player settings and applies an optimization to the camera matrix that's being passed on each camera. It seems that it's using that optimization on the camera that you're using to render offscreen so it could be the cause that the fog is not rendering properly on those cameras with SPSR enabled. I'm sending you an update so you can override this behaviour and verify if that fixes your issue.
    Cheers

jashan likes this.
  49. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi!

A patch is now available with some useful fixes:
    - Minor tweaks in fog parameters ranges to give more flexibility (you can now force greater density values which may help create thicker fog in some cases)
    - [Fix] Changes in Volumetric Fog inspector does not mark the scene as dirty ("pending save")
    - [Fix] Fixed jittering changes not reflecting changes in Editor mode
    - Minor fixes for Unity 5.6 (yep! It should work on Unity 5.6 out of the box).

Also if you have a multi-camera setup in VR and use Single Pass Stereo, a new beta is available (send me a pm) which allows you to set the VR mode per camera (SPSR, Dual Pass or Automatic - default). Thanks @jashan for fast testing!

Cheers!

Too-Nerd-To-Die and jashan like this.
  50. jashan

jashan

Thanks @Thrawn75 for fast delivering of versions to test. Getting this fixed so fast is super-appreciated ;-)

Kronnect likes this.