Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Volumetric Fog & Mist - AAA realistic and animated fog, dust, low clouds and mist

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Kronnect, Dec 1, 2015.

1. kulesz

kulesz

I've imported your asset and cannot build project (as a standalone exe file). Building freezes at "Building assets - resources.asset" and nothing happens for a looooong time (actually never).
    When I delete it, everything runs fine. Asset works great in editor.
    Did anyone noticed someting like this before?

2. Kronnect

Kronnect

Read this post for an explanation and instructions (also included in the documentation):

http://kronnect.me/taptapgo/index.php/topic,1849.0.html

3. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi everyone,

Just a brief update to announce availability of V5.3 with some interesting improvements:

- New dithering slider in the inspector to allow finer customization of the dithering effect.
    - New jittering parameter which increases the level of control for anti-banding artifacts around fog volumes.
    - New speed/damping parameter for baseline relative to camera option, which smooths fog height changes.

4. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hello, some interesting news!

Volumetric Fog & Mist 5.4 is on sale (25% off) for limited time.

Also, version 5.4 is now available which includes better sun rays, experimental VR support with Single Pass Stereo Rendering and a few important fixes.

Finally, we're launching a showcase competition! Post a link here or send us a short movie showing Volumetric Fog & Mist in action in your game before August 22 and get a chance to win one of 3 free vouchers for any of our other assets (you choose!)

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
  5. camel82106

camel82106

Here is something from my project:

wetcircuit and Kronnect like this.
  6. Kronnect

Kronnect

Thanks @camel82106 !

Deadline for showcase competition is August 22!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
  7. Kronnect

Kronnect

wetcircuit likes this.
  8. gecko

gecko

I'm trying to use Volumetric fog in a large canyon environment, and I need the low-lying fog to extend far into the distance, visible down below the camera, just above the canyon floor. However, the 2000m max value for Max Distance is a problem, as the canyon is larger than that. Can I increase that value so the fog extends further? I understand there's a performance impact, but would at least like to try it. But I can't find where in the script to change that.

9. Kronnect

Kronnect

@gecko edit VolumetricFogInspector.cs inside VolumetricFog/Editor and locate the line that writes de slider in the inspector (look for the hard coded 2000 limit value and increase it).

10. Doyora

Doyora

Hi, this asset looks very interesting. I'm wondering about certain features though.

I see that you can create these inverted void areas, for defining fog within a certain volume.
    What's the limit on the number of these volumes?
    can the density of fog inside each volume be controlled independently?
    can I use my own arbitrarily shaped meshes to define the shape of each volume?
    are the volumes their own individual gameobject and can I control each directly at runtime (eg change position, size, density)?

I'm really interested in using volume fog as a gameplay element rather than purely a visual enhancement. I think there's some pretty interesting possibilities and advantages over volume based stuff rather than particles. imagine using volumetric fog volumes when you use something like a smoke grenade, or a rising column of volumetric smoke from a fire.

features like these, if not present, would be pretty amazing. I'm definitely going to purchase if it can fit the needs of my project. thanks!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
  11. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi!
    The asset supports the creation of 1 void area which was created to allow fog clearance around a character in third person view. It can be inverted to create a floating mass of fog, like those on the peak of mountains, like a circle of clouds). The inverted void area can have a spherical or boxed shape - you can control the borders with a falloff parameter so the edges are smoothed.
    Volumetric Fog & Mist also supports using a mask texture to define void areas, so you can virtually have any level of transparency at any number of locations. This feature is called Fog of War. But this feature is best used from a top-down perspective since the mask is applied on all the vertical range of the fog.
    Hope this info helps.
    Cheers!

12. Doyora

Doyora

ah I see, thanks for the quick reply! so is what I'm describing not possible? is it something I could try and implement myself based on what's in the package? or do the mechanics of the thing prevent that?

13. Kronnect

Kronnect

That's going to fit in a upcoming update definitely: multiple volumes of fog. Contact us by email please so we can discuss some details to see if that would work for you.

Doyora likes this.
  14. Doyora

Doyora

That's really good to hear! I sent you an email detailling what I'm trying to achieve. hopefully with multiple fog volumes it's something that should be possible to make work.

Thanks again!

15. Kronnect

Kronnect

Thanks! We'll get in touch shortly.

16. Karearea

Karearea

I may have a very similar use case to @Doyora but had put the idea of fog volumes aside for the moment after trying the demo package with a single volume. I'd add that different wind speed and direction per volume would also be useful in my case, as would allowing fog movement to occur in the Y-axis. From using the demo, I can see why this may be difficult, but nonetheless I'm keen to hear the outcome of the above conversation.

17. Kronnect

Kronnect

@Karearea @Doyora this feature is going to happen. Stay tuned.

We've submitted V5.5 to the Asset Store with improvements for point light support and the inclusion of Dynamic Fog & Mist 2. Here's a short video demonstrating the feature. Nice for creating 3D bloom effects:

Karearea and radimoto like this.
  18. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi!

Volumetric Fog & Mist 6.0 now supports multiple fog areas (spherical and box type). A new demo scene is included which allows to fly over a standard Unity landscape and create random fog areas as you fly around.

Latest update is already available for existing customers on our support forum and will be submitted this week to the Asset Store.

Cheers!

Karearea and Doyora like this.
  19. Doyora

Doyora

Sweet, looking forward to trying it out!

20. Kronnect

Kronnect

Volumetric Fog & Mist 5.5 is now available, while v6 is already pending approval. Expect it to be available in a few more days.

Some tidbits about V6. This new update supports multiple layers of Volumetric Fog & Mist effect thus allowing any number of fog areas. For convenience, a new API is provided so you can create any number of fog areas at runtime with a single function call per fog area, specifying position and size (radius for spherical shapes and a vector3 for a box type). The fog area volume is created in the scene and can be moved or rescaled, enabled or destroyed. And of course each fog area provides all visual features and customizable properties of the standard Volumetric Fog & Mist effect which you can modify at runtime as well.

We're curious to see what you can do with this new feature!

21. Kronnect

Kronnect

22. Karearea

Karearea

Hi @Thrawn75

Sorry to be a hassle, but would it be possible to try out a demo package for v.6? or alternatively just a standalone build demonstrating the multiple spherical fog areas?

23. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi everyone!

We have submitted Volumetric Fog & Mist v6.1 to the Asset Store to include the new Dynamic Fog & Mist v2.2.
    This new update adds a collection of fog materials which you can use instead of the full-screen image effect and works very fast on mobile (and possibly a better option for old mobile devices which may not support full screen blit passes).

Here's a glimpse of the new demo scene 5 included in Dynamic Fog & Mist (sort of a basic game template):

Volumetric Fog & Mist v6.1 represents the most complete and advance fog effect we have created to date:

- Gorgeous multi-area or vast landscape animated fog effects with point light support, sun shafts, fog of war, 2D sprite support, day/night cycle, void areas and elevated fog/clouds, which works on desktop and fast VR handsets (Volumetric Fog & Mist).
    - Fast full-screen image effect variant (Dynamic Fog & Mist) for desktop, fast mobile devices and VR.
    - Super fast collection of fog materials for mobile.

24. TechDeveloper

TechDeveloper

you guys are fantastic. Thanks so much ;)

Kronnect likes this.
  25. TechDeveloper

TechDeveloper

oh by the way will it work in orthographic mode?
    if not, do you think you could make a compatible version?

26. Samhayne

Samhayne

Hi,

Volumetric Fog & Mist looks awesome.

Would it also be suitable to create a huge spherical cloud?

Think of Freelancer's clouds in space (@4min30s):

27. Kronnect

Kronnect

It works with perspective projections only at this moment. Orthographic cameras don't project depth so it can be quite tricky to achieve good effects where everything is really in "front".

28. Kronnect

Kronnect

The kind of shape you can achieve is more like a cloud. Generating globe-like shapes is something that will probably be addressed in a future update as it's also related with vertical smoke and such.

29. Kronnect

Kronnect

Volumetric Fog & Mist 6.1 just updated!

30. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi everyone!
    Happy to announce Volumetric Fog & Mist 6 is on Sale for the next 24h!
    Get it now and save (note that the package also includes Dynamic Fog & Mist!).
    Enjoy!

31. docsavage

docsavage

Hi @Thrawn75,

Picked up this excellent pack today. Just wondering if there is a way to use a Windzone object to directly affect the speed, turbulance etc of the Volumetric fog and mist? So as to have fluctuating velocity etc of the mists. Even disperse the mist after the windzone reaches a certain speed/intensity maybe.

Really great asset this by the way. Very happy with it.

Thanks

doc

Kronnect likes this.
  32. Kronnect

Kronnect

Thanks. Your proposal sounds very interesting indeed. Currently Volumetric Fog only accepts a global wind parameter, so you're stick with a speed direction and intensity.. but we could leverage the full RGBA values of the fog of war texture, so instead of just using the alpha channel to control transparency on custom areas, we could pick RGB as a direction vector for custom speed and use it to add to the global speed vector. Not sure how it could results but it's a start.

We'll do some tests and get back to you! Thanks for the suggestion.

docsavage likes this.
  33. Kronnect

Kronnect

34. docsavage

docsavage

Thanks for the reply. Sounds more complicated than anticipated. Sounds great though. Thanks again

doc

35. exiguous

exiguous

Hey, I'm tempted to purchase this Asset during the sale. One question though.
    I want to have a planet of maximum 1000 Unity units diameter. Is it possible to use your asset for this to provide a spherical cloud layer? Or is it just designed for flat terrains? The description says: "Spherical and box shape fog areas supported.". So I would just create a spherical fog area of the diameter of the atmosphere and I could create a spherical void area for the part inside the planet. Is this correct? And the camera could fly through the clouds?
    Thanks for your time.

36. Kronnect

Kronnect

It's designed for flat terrains. Although you could create a spherical fog area most of the fog inside that sphere will look like clouds which extends horizontally and won't look correctly around your spherical world.

37. exiguous

exiguous

Ok, thanks for your fast response. But I guess then its not really suited for my needs. Impressive work anyways.

Kronnect likes this.
  38. Kronnect

Kronnect

Thank you. You're welcome!

39. Kronnect

Kronnect

40. TechDeveloper

TechDeveloper

Hello Guys.

This plugin is not working properly with PlayWay Water. I know Fog and water shaders usually have some sort of issue so any tips would help.

You can see the fog but its kind of stretched, looks kind of like a fog fire.

Thanks.

41. Kronnect

Kronnect

Could you please contact us with some screenshots and maybe a sample scene? Thanks.

42. unicat

unicat

Works fine here with PlayWay.

TechDeveloper likes this.
  43. TechDeveloper

TechDeveloper

No worries it works fine. I dont know why this issue was happening. I just started a fresh project and imported plugins and it works perfect. Sorry for wasting your time.

Kronnect likes this.
  44. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi!
    We're opening our Asset Store screenshot slots to studios and indie devs that would like to see their projects showcased there.

If you love Beautify, Volumetric Fog & Mist, World Political Map series or any of our assets and are interested in having your game or app promoted on the Asset Store pages, please send us a short clip and your desired reference (link / studio / brand / dev name) to be shown at the footer of the media.

We'll use your media along our own promotional campaigns on Facebook, Twitter, Asset Store, Forums and other channels. As a reference, on August we got near 100K views on our combined channels which makes this an excellent opportunity for spreading the word about your project (for free).

Thank you very much for using our assets and we wish you the best luck in your project.

Akshara likes this.
  45. docsavage

docsavage

I think this is a great idea and hopefully will be able to pass you a finished product to showcase in the next couple of months. Don't know why more devs don't do this.

Thanks

doc

Kronnect likes this.
  46. gecko

gecko

I'm having a problem with terrain trees and volumetric fog. See screenshot, showing without and with fog -- the tree leaf meshes are transparent against the background. This is a stripped down example, but happens with a unity Skybox and with Time of Day Skydome. Any suggestions on how to fix it?

Attached Files:

47. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi @gecko, I see you're using Dynamic Fog & Mist, not Volumetric Fog & Mist. It does not matter though as both requires the same change when using transparent objects.

Many transparent based shaders don't write to z-buffer so this kind of image effects can't compute the fog accumulation correctly. The workaround is either making the image effect render before transparent objects (adding [ImageEffectOpaque] just before OnRenderImage located in DynamicFog.cs script - OR - modifying the tree shader so it writes correctly to the zbuffer. This is something SpeedTree (at least latest versions) do correctly hence I recommend using them in future updates/projects.

If you send us a sample project with the tree and fog we can modify it for you and send back a tree replacement shader.

48. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hello everyone!

Just a quick update regarding v6.4. Finally testing minor but useful improvements which hopefully will be released as a beta in our support forum during this weekend:

- Ability to combine fog areas with fog voids. Additionally fog area and fog voids will have different configuration sections in the next editor inspector (new Fog Extents plus previous Fog Void sections).

- New Build Options which will help you select the feature set you want to include in your build, reducing compilation time and size (alternatively you need to edit the shader file to remove those shader features according to the manual).

We took some time to assemble a cool video showcasing some projects using Volumetric Fog & Mist. Enjoy the video:

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
    wetcircuit and docsavage like this.
  49. Kronnect

Kronnect

Update 6.3 is now available with sun shafts improvements.

Unity Asset Store team is catching up following last Unite event so hopefully 6.4 will see light very soon as well.
    Inverted Fog Areas are now a deprecated term in 6.4 - now they can be combined with fog void feature and have a specific settings area in the inspector:

docsavage likes this.
  50. Kronnect

Kronnect

Bonus pic:

ice2011 and docsavage like this.