Search Unity

Volumetric Fog & Mist - AAA realistic and animated fog, dust, low clouds and mist

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Kronnect, Dec 1, 2015.

1. crowmaster

crowmaster

Can i create underwater effect using this package?

2. Kronnect

Kronnect

Yes. For example, in URP, you can place a fog volume under the water level and customize the density and other settings to match the desired visuals.

3. crowmaster

crowmaster

I am currently using builtin renderer, is it still possible?

4. Kronnect

Kronnect

Yes.

5. Rustamovich

Rustamovich

Hey, @Kronnect
    I'm looking for Fog for my Oculus Quest VR game. All current solutions I've found use Depth Texture for URP, and they are not working together on Oculus Quest, Are any possible solutions for using fog in such restrictions?

Thanks

6. Kronnect

Kronnect

Use Dynamic Fog & Mist 2. It works well with URP in Multi-Pass and Multi-View. It's free purchasing Volumetric Fog & Mist 2.

7. Rustamovich

Rustamovich

But I've read in instructions that I need to enable depth texture, and this thing is broken for oculus now

8. Kronnect

Kronnect

Which Unity version? It looks fine to me in 2021 LTS.

9. Rustamovich

Rustamovich

I use 2021.3.16f1

10. Rustamovich

Rustamovich

@Kronnect do I need to use depth texture with you asset?

11. Kronnect

Kronnect

Yes.

12. Francoimora

Francoimora

Hi Kronnect ! Last year, I posted about an issue when the fog follows the terrain and we update the position (see https://forum.unity.com/threads/vol...w-clouds-and-mist.371147/page-22#post-8357232).

To repro this issue, you can add a script that randomize the position of the volumetric fog every frame :

Code (CSharp):
    1. _currentVolumetricFog.transform.position = targetPosition + new Vector3(Random.Range(0, 10), 0, Random.Range(0, 10));
    Here is an example of what will happen :

CleanShot 2023-02-17 at 23.42.36.gif

I finally had some time to search for a solution and I found that it happens because the render of the surface cam is delayed, so it sometimes shows an old texture to a new position. The temp fix I found is to force cam to render instead of scheduling it. Here is how I modified the method in VolumetricFog.Terrain.cs :

CleanShot 2023-02-17 at 23.09.57@2x.png

Do you have the possibility to make something like this as part of the package ? Thanks !

Kronnect likes this.
  13. Kronnect

Kronnect

Confirmed, thank you!

14. mchangxe

mchangxe

Hello Kronnect, great asset as always! Just a question, when built to android, the fog always appears infront of other objects, when in fact it should be behind a cube. Works fine in the editor in play mode. One observation is that when the editor is not in play mode, the fog glitches moving infront of and behind the cube back and forth. It seems like its a rendering order issue?

15. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi! If you’re using URP, please make sure Depth Texture is enabled in the URP renderer. Check all URP assets assigned to each quality level defined in Project Settings/Quality.

16. mchangxe

mchangxe

yes they are enabled indeed! But the sorting layer problem still exists

17. Kronnect

Kronnect

Are you using the Volumetric Fog Render Feature? There’s a render event parameter to specify the injection point.

Also, try using deferred or changing the depth priming mode option in forward rendering path.

Other than this, send me a pm with a simple repro of you wish.

18. Kronnect

Kronnect

New v10 with Scattering option for URP!

DylanF and ratking like this.
  19. VirtualDestructor

VirtualDestructor

I just started using the package. I am using it for low lying fog, and mist. It has been working well.

Instead of having volumes absolutely everywhere, I'd like to have a traditional non-raymarched fog effect simultaneously. Is creating one volume with distance fog (density set to 0) the most efficient way to do this? Or can this package be combined with the Dynamic Fog & Mist 2 package?

20. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi,
    Yes, you can combine both.
    If you use the URP version, Volumetric Fog has a Distant Fog option integrated which works similarly in addition to the raymarched effect.

21. VirtualDestructor

VirtualDestructor

Thanks for the response. I am using URP, it's a VR game running on Windows. I am noticing banding when I try to use the distance fog option (I haven't tried dynamic fog & mist yet).

22. Kronnect

Kronnect

I'll check that. You can also post that on the support forum - there you can also download latest beta versions.

23. Spsama

Spsama

I use Dynamic fog in URP Vesion whith VR Mode,It will display normally on Quest 2 or Quest Pro,But it doesn't show normally on Vision Pro, it shows that the depth texture is displayed incorrectly, I tried adjusting various fog parameters,Seems to have failed to solve, please ask for any clues

Last edited: Apr 10, 2024
  24. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi!
    Unfortunately we don't own a Vision Pro unit so we can't test with it although we're trying with the help of some users. It's related to foveated rendering. To some users it seems that if you enable ambient occlusion, some of these issues go away (because probably ambient occlusion is disabling foveated rendering).
    Regards.