Search Unity

Volumetric Fog & Mist - AAA realistic and animated fog, dust, low clouds and mist

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Kronnect, Dec 1, 2015.

1. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Does this also work with the standard render pipeline or only with the URP?

2. Kronnect

Kronnect

Both. This asset includes 2 packages optimized for the two pipelines.

3. CSWasaff

CSWasaff

When I import the package to my project and unpack the package, all I get is a brown box and it says the shader is empty

4. Kronnect

Kronnect

What strange. Could you contact us by email and include a screenshot? Thanks.

5. xkingjohnx

xkingjohnx

Hi there,
    is it possible to use Volumetric Fog & Mist 2 with a runtime instatiated camera (which is used across all scenes) and having different settings for each level? (e.g. blue fog in one map, yellow fog in another scene)?

6. Kronnect

Kronnect

Yes.

7. Shrimpey

Shrimpey

Hi, wanted to buy the asset, but need to know one thing beforehand:
    In my game I've got a player that is able to teleport, but when he teleports (to different Unity coords) I'd need the clouds to persist in the exact same state (so unchanged UV position of the gaussian gradient or however clouds are implemented in the asset). So my question is as follows - is it possible to move clouds to different Unity coords and they would stay exactly the same? Or are they strictly bound to world coords and moving them would reset their state/change some UVs?

8. Kronnect

Kronnect

Moving the fog volume keeps the same cloud layout:

9. Shrimpey

Shrimpey

Alright, thanks, that's all I needed to know :)

10. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi all!
    Dynamic Fog & Mist 2 v8.0 is a massive new update (URP version) and includes:
    - Added "Fade" option. Allows smooth transitioning when moving from outside into the fog volume.
    - Added "Show Boundary" option. Shows an overlay on the fog volume in Game View.
    - Added "Box Projection" option. Traits depth as distance to camera near plane instead of camera position.
    - Added "Max Height" and "Max Distance" options
    - Added "Sub-Volume" support. Allows customizing fog properties in different areas within the same volume.
    - Regrouped some options in inspector

These improvements belong to the URP version included in the asset.
    Also, note that Dynamic Fog & Mist 2 is free for Volumetric Fog & Mist 2 customers:
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packag...-fog-mist-2-48200?aid=1101lGsd&utm_source=aff

11. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi!

We’re excited to announce that we’ve been nominated for Asset Store Publisher of the Year at the Unity Awards 2020.

The Unity Awards, first celebrated in 2008, recognize the most outstanding examples of games, simulations, visualizations and other projects created using the Unity development platform across a variety of categories. Winners will be announced by December 23, 2020.

This is the first time the awards include an Asset Store Publisher of the Year category.

We’d like to thank all our users who have walked along with us and helped us shape these phenomenal assets with their support and suggestions. This recognition would have been impossible without your warm feedback and shared passion on building our dreams.

We would love it if you, our customer, could head over to the website and vote for us in the Asset Store Publisher of the Year category. The voting is open now and runs until the December 21, so make sure you head over and cast your vote.

Wish us luck!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
  12. Alic

Alic

Hey guys, I'm confused by the description on the store page for Volumetric Fog & Mist 2. If I already own the original Volumetric Fog & Mist, and I'm using the built in render pipeline, is there any difference between the original and the built in pipeline version included in Volumetric Fog & Mist 2? Is the only difference that Volumetric Fog & Mist 2 comes with a URP version? Would love to have that cleared up!

13. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hello, yes, it's the same version.

Volumetric Fog & Mist 2 is a bundle that gets updated more often due to updates in different packages. As a consequence some recent minor improvements for the built-in version are released earlier in the Volumetric Fog & Mist 2 package but the Volumetric Fog & Mist 1 package eventually is also updated with the new features or fixes.

Alic likes this.
  14. Alic

Alic

Alright, makes sense. Thanks for the quick response Kronnect.

15. septN

septN

Hello, I've watched the promotional video about Void Fog, on the example it uses radius, does it have Box shaped variant? for example I'd like a square shaped area to be clear from all the fogs

16. Kronnect

Kronnect

Builtin or URP?

17. septN

septN

urp

18. Kronnect

Kronnect

In built-in you can choose between rectangular or circular void area but you can only have 1 void area.
    In URP you can have many fog areas but currently only circular shaped areas are supported. We'll add rectangular shaped void areas in next update.

septN likes this.
  19. Kronnect

Kronnect

Releasing today.

20. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi, the new update is now available as beta on our support forum. You can get it right now from there (send me a pm to get access).
    The update finally includes additional options which adds more flexibility to the shapes of voids. They can now be merged (sdf style) and shapes range from regular rectangles to perfect circles as well as ovals or rounded rectangles.

21. knas01

knas01

Hi, I wonder what's the difference between URP and built in? What do I miss out if I use built in, with both volumetric and dynamic fog assets?

22. Kronnect

Kronnect

Built-in version has a few more options like Sun shafts and Depth Blur and has been more time on the market which means it's a lot more tested and stable on many platforms.
    The URP version is built from scratch to leverage URP and is more performant as it's no longer a full-screen image effect. Also, it comes with 3D noise support and multiple fog voids while the built-in version only supports a single fog void. Plus new transparency support options which can differentiate from pure transparent and cutout or semi-transparent objects.
    The focus right now, regarding future and new options, is on the URP version though. For example, during the next days the URP version will receive two major new features related to fog voids (ability to customize its shapes and merge them to create more complex areas) and the ability to fit terrain surface (think of fog going down a hill...)

In addition to the features, their workflow is very different - the built-in version is a full-screen image effect, you add the main script to the camera and tweak the inspector settings whereas the URP version works like an in-scene object which you can position/scale much easier and in a more intuitive way (IMO). In built-in version you can also achieve the same ease of use by creating fog areas. Basically in URP we have designed it so every instance of the fog is a fog area, you can make it as large as you want but the workflow is same for all kind of fog shapes whereas in built-in you have this dual usage, script attached to the camera and the fog areas, which are added differently.

Volumetric Fog & Mist 2 package is a bundle which includes all assets so you have all the variants and options included - just use the asset that your project requires, built-in or URP.

23. knas01

knas01

@Kronnect Thanks. Man that URP version sounds fantastic. But I think it's impossible for me to change, too many assets are built in only. I hate that I have to make these choices... :(

24. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi all,

Here's a preview of the new Terrain Fit mode:

Note: this feature is being included in the URP version only for now.

25. Kronnect

Kronnect

Also, here's a sample of the new enhanced voids in action:

Internally they work as sdf primitives. For optimization purposes, the system picks the 8 nearest voids to the controller or camera although this limit can be changed in the asset source.
    Remember that if you need to have precise control of void areas over many positions, you can also use the fog of war feature.

26. knas01

knas01

Will this only work for terrains or any type of mesh?

27. Kronnect

Kronnect

Any type.

28. knas01

knas01

Kronnect likes this.
  29. Monil

Monil

Fantastic !!!

I hope it will soon be compatible with built-in too..

Kronnect likes this.
  30. mick129

mick129

Just got your asset, it look very fantastic.

I have two questions
    For that video above, will it be available on Built-in?
    And I build an open world game, I can have a volume to follow my player and keep the clouds in world position? (to avoid following the player in a weird way).

I would like to do like in this video, the volumetric fog in the mountain (look at 3:00)

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
  31. Kronnect

Kronnect

Yes, but not sure when as we have 3 new assets launches this month. After that, probably end of January.

Clouds can be rendered using world or local space regarding the fog area center. By default they use local space but they can be changed to world space with a checkbox in the Shader Options section.

mick129 likes this.
  32. mick129

mick129

Thank you and no hurries, I don't plan any release until February at least :)

Kronnect likes this.
  33. PacoChan

PacoChan

Hello, pretty nice asset.

I've seen that fog can be configured to align to XZ plane and XY plane. But can it be configured to align to an arbitrary plane? We are working in a game with spherical planets and we would like to align the fog to where the player is located.

Thanks!

34. Kronnect

Kronnect

Nope. The bounds are always axis-aligned.

35. Kronnect

Kronnect

Adding support for colored cookies in both built-in and URP versions of Volumetric Lights.
    This update will be released today.

Picture created with a regular spotlight with Volumetric Lights component attached (shadow occlusion + cookie texture set).

Whatever560 likes this.
  36. Zyblade

Zyblade

Do your volumetric lights and volumetric fog and mist 2 assets support both orthographic camera view? If yes, only in built in or also URP?
    I already searched the forum, but it was not explicitly mentioned, at least not in the main feature section. It was just asked in the forum and I'm not sure which version was meant.

37. Dan_G

Dan_G

Hi! I've seen some questions regarding Oculus Quest and it seems like your asset should work (both single and multi-pass??) but it may have some issues depending on the settings. Have you done any test with Oculus Quest 2? I am doing a project for that device and your asset looks like a perfect fit :)

38. Dan_G

Dan_G

Sorry for my double post. I've just seen you have a few great assets so i thought i could ask some other questions here if you don't mind.
    1- I want to know which assets work on VR and more specifically on Oculus Quest 2. According to your specs, the assets that support VR are: Dynamic Fog & Mist 2, Volumetric Fog & Mist, and Volumetric Lights. Is there any others?
    2 - Is the Fog Painting feature in "Volumetric Fog & Mist 2" available in "Volumetric Fog & Mist"? I guess the answer is no but it would be great, i love that feature!

Thanks a lot!
    D

39. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi, yes, they all support orthographic camera in both built-in and URP.
    Please folllow the documentation for details on how to enable this support. You need to enable it editing a shader file and uncomment this line:
    //#define ORTHO_SUPPORT

Zyblade likes this.
  40. Kronnect

Kronnect

1. We don't have a Quest 2 so can't confirm this but they should support at least Multi-Pass on this device on any pipeline.
    Another asset that works in VR is Beautify.

2. The Fog Painting feature is also present in the built-in version although in this version only add/remove fog is supported (fog color brush is currently only available in the URP version).

Dan_G likes this.
  41. Dan_G

Dan_G

Thanks for the quick reply! Just one last question: If i buy your assets but they do not work on Quest 2, can i ask for a refund?
    D

42. Kronnect

Kronnect

Of course. Contact us by email.

43. drew55

drew55

Hi Kronnect,

We just bought VF & M 2 and am using 2020.2 URP on a 2013 Mac Pro running High Sierra. I run both sample projects and there are clearly two major issues:

(1) Something with camera y (altitude) cords is reversed. It's obvious in Demo 2 makes, and Demo 1 trying looking hard up or down, (and is more obvious if you make the fog denser). Raising or lowering the ceiling visually moves in in the opposite direction.

(2) GPU load is pegged at 100%. I get this this machine is far from great but there is no way we're going to ship software that had a basic fog effect that chokes out a GPU on a solid Mac. I tried building Demo 2 into an macOS app and it still pegged rather often. Basically, there is no way we would ever be able to ship with that kind of burn.

UPDATE: after turning off the grass and water, GPU load hovers around 60-80%, which would still preclude us from ever shipping w/ this. Assuming (1) can be addressed, what settings affect GPU load most?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
  44. drew55

drew55

Very broken

Attached Files:

45. Kronnect

Kronnect

Checking this.

46. Kronnect

Kronnect

But those screenshots are from Dynamic Fog & Mist 2 for URP. Are you talking about this asset or Volumetric Fog & Mist? I've found no issues in Volumetric Fog & Mist for URP in latest Unity version (tested with iMac 2017/Metal).

It would be useful to see what settings are you using (full screenshot including inspector).

Dynamic Fog & Mist 2 is quite performant. The issues with GPU utilization with this asset must come from the environment in the demo scenes which use vanilla shaders and have never been considered for optimizations. This asset works great for grass rendering.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
  47. Dan_G

Dan_G

Hi again,

I tested the Volumetric Lights on Unity 2019.4 with URP (7.5.2) and it only works on Multiview (aka single pass). Same in Unity 2020.1 with URP 8.3.1. If i change VR settings to Multipass it is only partially rendered, plus depths are not corretly displayed on the right eye. The description of the asset says "VR Multi-Pass and Single Pass Stereo support (only built-in pipeline)." so i guess it is not supported on URP?
    Note that I am using an old version of Volumetric Light though (version 2.1.5 i think).

I have more questions regarding another assets:
    Volumetric Fog & Mist 2:
    This asset is for URP, but i wonder if it supports both Multipass and Multiview (aka single pass)?

Beautify:
    If i am going for URP, should i consider Beautify 2 instead of the original one?
    The description of Beautify 2 says it is compatible with URP (requires Unity 2019.3 and URP 7.2.1.) I know this is a stupid question but i guess it is "Unity 2019.3 and URP 7.2.1. or later", right? It says that for Built-in RP and LWRP.
    Finally i would like to ask about the performance of Beautify 2. I know it is hard to implement post-processing effect when working in VR (specially if standalone like Quest 2) as it has a big impact on performance. I wonder if this asset is more performant than Unity´s PPv2 as it has native support for integrated Post Processing (not sure what this means) and it is combined in the same render pass for superior performance

PS: if all your assets are as optimized as Volumetric Lights... you guys did an amazing job!

48. Kronnect

Kronnect

Which VR device are you using?
    Regarding Beautify 2's URP compatibility, yes, it's URP 7.2.1 or later.

49. Dan_G

Dan_G

I am using Oculus Quest 2 in standalone mode (not connected to a computer)

ChristopherKerr likes this.
  50. draverik

draverik

Hello,

We have a problem with volumetric fog and Single Pass VR - two eyes rendere different image and it is unconfrotable for users. Any help ?