Search Unity

1. Unity 2020.1 has been released.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Volumetric Fog & Mist - AAA realistic and animated fog, dust, low clouds and mist

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Thrawn75, Dec 1, 2015.

1. FeastSC2

FeastSC2

Is volumetric fog compatible with Unity's Post Process? If so, how do I make them work together?

2. Thrawn75

Thrawn75

Yes, you can use Volumetric Fog & Mist along with Post Processing Stack in builtin pipeline. Make sure the "Direct To Camera" checkbox is disabled in Post Process Layer component.

FeastSC2 likes this.
  3. FeastSC2

FeastSC2

What do you suggest I do in order to have those eyes stay in the black so that we the player can't see that they don't have a body? Previously I used a camera with a pitch black background.

I can do the same with your asset but I'd like to try to use more features of the fog.

upload_2019-12-11_2-13-24.png

4. Thrawn75

Thrawn75

You can place a fog area covering the zone with low noise (so it becomes very thick) and very dark colors:

FeastSC2 likes this.
  5. Antumarin

Antumarin

Sorry it took this long to answer. I reduced the dithering and while the effects were reduced, they aren't completely gone.

6. Thrawn75

Thrawn75

If you're using a fog area, you may want to increase the Jitter setting to reduce hard border artifacts. If the issue persist, please contact us by email so we can work on a repro. Thanks.

7. kyleshell

kyleshell

Hello, I'm highly considering picking up this asset, but I'm on the fence. I understand that Volumetric is not optimized for mobile, but Dynamic Fog is. Does this include support for Nintendo Switch? I couldn't find anything about support for different consoles, so I figured I'd ask.

8. Thrawn75

Thrawn75

Can't tell about Switch compatibility but feel free to try it on your own project. If it doesn't work on Switch, please contact us.

9. FiveFingerStudios

FiveFingerStudios

I'm using it in a FPS VR project.

I'm noticing that as I walk through it, it seems to come towards the camera at a faster speed that the geometry in the scene. Is there a way to control this?

10. Thrawn75

Thrawn75

Not sure about what could produce that effect. Could you please send me an email with your Volumetric Fog settings?

11. Robdon

Robdon

Hi,

I currently have a 'fog' solution in my 2D project, and it basically uses the particle system to move 15-20 large transparent textures around the screen and it gives me a fog effect.

The problem with this is it creates a massive overdraw problem, and it can kill your fps if you don't have a fast graphics card. (Even with a RTX 2080 Super, I get a drop from 600fps, to 400fps, when testing with it)

How does your system work, and does it create a big overdraw overhead?

What I'm trying to create in my 2D game is some lightish fog in the background layer behind the player and cave system, so it's nothing that much or too 'thick' fog.

I know it's hard to tell, but what kind of fps drop do you typically get adding your fog system into a scene?

Just wanted to know if your asset is likely to fix my performance problem, before I think about buying it :)

Thanks, Rob.

12. FeastSC2

FeastSC2

@Thrawn75 Your asset is great, I'm having a lot fun with it :) Glad to see it does not impact performance too much so far.

I would like to have the effect of the fog void on more than a single target.

I have torches in my scene and I want them to dissipate the fog if they're toggled on. Anyway the specific effect I'm looking for really is the fog void, is there a way I can have more than one fog void?

I tried to do this with the Geometry mask inverted but since there is not falloff it doesn't look good.

In one of my shader scripts. I set the radius, and the position of many objects directly into the shader with an array. Is something similar possible with your package?
    Code (CSharp):
    1.             Shader.SetGlobalVectorArray(ShaderID.Positions, new Vector4[100]);
    2.             Shader.SetGlobalFloatArray(ShaderID.Radius, new float[100]);
    upload_2019-12-22_3-26-16.png

Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
  13. Thrawn75

Thrawn75

Honestly can't say what performance you will get, it depends on so many settings, distance covered, quality, lighting options, ... it's an effect that has been tweaked for years to provide the best performance possible for the active feature set but it's a raymarching system nevertheless so probably a few sprites would perform better. Also it depends on the effect you like most/fits better at the end.

Yes, Geometry Mask works like a stencil buffer by checking depth so it's a bitwise op. Have you considered using the fog of war feature as an alternative? You can control the transparency level at any position this way and have a smooth falloff.

Robdon likes this.
  14. FeastSC2

FeastSC2

I'm going to try it out

There's still something I don't understand: in the picture of my previous post the Fog Void is offset compared to the gameObject target. Depending on if my player is higher/lower in Y position the Fog Void is either in front or below the player. Sometimes it's completely gone. What's happening?

https://i.imgur.com/Y5qy1sB.gifv

15. Thrawn75

Thrawn75

Try enabling "Raymarched Void Area" in Shader Options section (button at top of Volumetric Fog inspector). This forces the fog void area test to be performed along the ray, instead of just at the end of the ray.

16. FeastSC2

FeastSC2

Most of or none of the demos work for me due to scripts being missing. Like the character controller script.
    upload_2019-12-22_11-5-36.png

I assume I must write in the FogOfWar texture to remove the spots where I want the fog to be gone. Is that all?

17. FeastSC2

FeastSC2

With the Raymarched Void Area, it seems to be better but it still doesn't quite fit to where the character is.

Unity_eksI5a4jt5.png

The Fog Void looks like it's drawing a circular shape in 2D (on the final image) and not in 3D because it also affects objects that are higher than my character.

upload_2019-12-22_11-16-25.png

Is there an option to make it 3D? (I would like the character to be the source of the radius) instead of the character's position on the 2D final image.

18. Thrawn75

Thrawn75

Check the READMe file. It states you need to import the Standard Assets from the Asset Store (just for the demo scenes).

19. holodevice

holodevice

I have issues with Quest . Fog is not showing.
    I am using Unity version 2019.2.12.f1 , Oculus Quest . Shader options are removed. Profile's Default settings were not changed. IMG_20191230_110455.jpg IMG_20191230_110334.jpg

20. Thrawn75

Thrawn75

Hi!
    We’re investigating the issue but it seems like the Quest is not capable enough to run certain complex (ie. ray marching) shaders.
    Dynamic Fog & Mist, which is included in the package, works fine on the Quest though.
    Regards

21. HerVap

HerVap

May i ask for a refund? and how can i do it, to buy dinamic one coz this one doesnt support lwrp.

22. Thrawn75

Thrawn75

Hi! For questions regarding your purchase, please contact us directly by email. Please include your invoice/order number.

Note that in the Volumetric Fog & Mist package, Dynamic Fog & Mist is included, which is compatible with LWRP.
    Also we're working on an URP compatible version of Volumetric Fog & Mist.
    Regards

23. Thrawn75

Thrawn75

Upcoming improvements to fog of war painter...

HerVap likes this.
  24. GoldFireStudios

GoldFireStudios

Is there a way to have fog stick to the level of the terrain as it moves? I'm trying to simulate blowing fog in a snow storm with quickly animating fog with high noise to make it patchy. It works great on flat terrain, but if I make it hilly, when climbing up the hill you can see the plane of flog out over the ground instead of continuing to stick to the ground down below.

25. Thrawn75

Thrawn75

Hello! Currently the fog effect cannot bend and adapt to the terrain. We’re looking into new fog shapes for the next version of the asset, including the option to follow terrain heightmap. We’ll share more details about it soon.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
  26. borkbork

borkbork

HDRP is production ready, wondering if you're planning to make a compatible version of this excellent asset?

27. Thrawn75

Thrawn75

Hey, thank you. There's a URP compatible version now available for registered customers.. I guess we can step into HDRP after that version ships. No ETA yet though.

28. borkbork

borkbork

Glad to hear it, love your work!

Sorry if this is a cross-post, but I found a video of you demoing your Dynamic Fog and Mist in HDRP (Book of the Dead scene). But I see any mentions of HDRP support on the product page.

29. Thrawn75

Thrawn75

That demo was created using HDRP in Unity 2018. New HDRP in 2019 no longer supports Post Processing Stack v2 so Dynamic Fog & Mist is not compatible with that version.

30. GoldFireStudios

GoldFireStudios

Ah, that is good to hear! I don't suppose you have an idea how far out that might be?

31. Game_DevKH

Game_DevKH

32. borkbork

borkbork

Thanks Thrawn, I can imagine the moving target of HDRP support is tons of fun to chase around. Looking forward to Unity solidifying it's structure and the amazing assets Kronnect will build on it.

33. DespairBear

DespairBear

Does the Fog Volume script support swapping profiles linked to a camera with Volumetric Fog & Mist? I'm only seeing the option to set Dynamic Fog profiles as the target, not Volumetric Fog Profiles

34. jtok4j

jtok4j

Greetings,

Have placed a volumetric Fog Cloud Layer (2 layers) in a level where we mostly move up and down. The fog/cloud is at a fixed place with "relative" to Camera turned off.

However when descending into the hold, for lack of better words, the fog/cloud seems to follow for a certain distance, then disappear. It also appears in front of the pillars, as shown in this image:

upload_2020-3-10_19-5-37.png
    This is about half-way down into the hole, and I thought that I would have left the clouds behind a long time ago, but they seem to kind of follow the view down the hole...

Any thoughts on what might cause this?

upload_2020-3-10_19-7-32.png

and

upload_2020-3-10_19-8-27.png

are the settings.
    Thanks for your insight. :)

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
  35. sebakujawski

sebakujawski

Hey guys! I have a problem with Fog user with Temporal Antialiasing from PostProcessing stack. Turning on fog produces super flickery image. Anyone had that problem? Other AA solutions works ok. Also i have no animation on fog.

36. Thrawn75

Thrawn75

Hi, yes! You can create a Transition Volume and assign a custom profile:

1) Right click in the Hierarchy, select Create / Other / Volumetric Fog / Transition Volume.
    2) Assign a fog profile or custom settings for the volume. Adjust position and scale.
    3) Make sure the camera with fog effect can "collide" with the fog volume (has a collider / rigidbody, it or its children).

37. Thrawn75

Thrawn75

Could you please send us an email with a screenshot of settings and Unity version? We'll try to reproduce it.

38. Thrawn75

Thrawn75

Announcing Volumetric Fog & Mist 2 for Universal Rendering Pipeline!

For the last few months we have been working on this new asset which has been created from scratch to support Universal Rendering Pipeline exclusively. It uses a different workflow (it's not a camera effect anymore) and it's easier to use & customize, supporting multiple fog voids and an improved fog of war painter.

This new asset also includes the previous Volumetric Fog & Mist asset plus Dynamic Fog & Mist for builtin and PPSv2 as well. So it's an all-in-one bundle.

Note: this new asset does not replace current Volumetric Fog & Mist which will continue receiving updates in the future. Also current customers of Volumetric Fog & Mist can get this new asset at 50% its price.

39. GoldFireStudios

GoldFireStudios

Just to clarify, this new package is only for URP? As in, if we are using built-in currently, we won't see any benefit by switching as we'll just use the same package?

40. Thrawn75

Thrawn75

That’s correct. The new Volumetric Fog & Mist 2 only works for URP (and the package also includes the same previous version which only works for builtin). Both assets are active, meaning that none is being abandoned or replaced.

41. Keegan_ORourke

Keegan_ORourke

Is the fog painting feature shown in the video only available for URP/version 2 of the asset? I'm using build-in and would love to use it.

42. Thrawn75

Thrawn75

Yes, the built-in version also includes the fog painter feature although it doesn't allow custom color, just add/remove fog.

43. Thrawn75

Thrawn75

Hi all!

Just released a new asset called Volumetric Lights, exclusively made for Universal Rendering Pipeline.
    Use this asset to add light scattering features to spot, point and area lights (disc and rectangular):

Demo:

Feature walkthrough:

Vondox likes this.
  44. shamsfk

shamsfk

Hi! Does Volumetric Fog 2 support VR?

45. Thrawn75

Thrawn75

Yes, it should work but it can be too taxing on mobile VR devices, like Quest (also depends on the settings).

46. shamsfk

shamsfk

Hi! Thanks!
    • It should or it would?) I'm using tethered devices now, singlepass instanced mode.
    • Is there a plan to make a Dynamic Fog for the URP? (to use on mobile devices)

47. Thrawn75

Thrawn75

I've not tested with desktop VR systems yet. Feel free to try it and send me a pm with your fog and VR settings if you experience any issue.
    Regarding Dynamic Fog & Mist, since this asset provides a PPSv2 version, you can try it in URP following this instructions:

We plan to support native URP post processing soon in Dynamic Fog & Mist as we've done with other assets.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  48. terrycheung

terrycheung

Hi, If i just need the built in version at the moment, i should just buy the latest "Volumetric Fog & Mist 2" right?
    If there are updates for the "Volumetric Fog & Mist" , will the built in package inside "Volumetric Fog & Mist 2" be updated correspondingly as well?

49. Thrawn75

Thrawn75

Yes. Volumetric Fog & Mist 2 asset contains all versions, for built-in and URP. Any future update for built-in will be included as well in this asset.

terrycheung likes this.
  50. DaleEidd

DaleEidd

The demo scene doesn't work correctly in VR. The occluders don't always occlude. The bug appears to be dependent on rotation.

• Asset version 2.1.0
    • Unity 2019.3.10f1
    • URP 7.3.1
    • OpenVR and MockHMD through Legacy XR Settings
    • Single Pass

fog.jpg

I tried it with your URP settings asset and it was still broken. Multi-pass is worse but it shouldn't be used anyway.

unityunity