Search Unity

Volumetric Crystal Materials Pack

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by eddietree, Dec 1, 2017.

1. eddietree

eddietree

High-quality volumetric crystal gems shaders, materials and models/prefabs for you to instantly drop into your game.

Ready to use! 13 pre-made volumetric materials ready to be applied onto any 3D model (and mobile versions of all materials), 5 crystal models (and drop-in ready prefabs), 10 hand-crafted textures (volumetric height maps, etc), and shaders fully available. Supports LWRP, HDRP, mobile, VR/AR and consoles.

Check it out here:
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packag...nces/volumetric-crystal-materials-pack-105951

Video Here:

Used in projects:
    Have questions or need support?

Note regarding weird gamma textures (happens on HDRP):
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/volumetric-crystal-materials-pack.507114/#post-5987699

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
    PolyCrusher, rrahim, Mauri and 4 others like this.
  2. eddietree

eddietree

Just wanted to bump this thread to mention that it finally was approved and went live! Check it out and love to hear your thoughts.

3. nipoco

nipoco

This is one of the best looking gem/crystal shader, I've seen so far.

eddietree likes this.
  4. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

Looks very nice!
    It would suit my project perfectly.
    I will need some additional info though, since my render pipeline is quite odd:

- Are this Surface Shaders or Vertex + Fragment shaders?
    - Are this shaders transparent or opaque ?
    - Do they use GrabPass ?
    - Do they cast/receive shadows ?
    - Do they support realtime GI ?
    - How hard it is to make your custom material and textures with the included shaders?
    - Any info about the used technique or a WebGL demo ?

eddietree likes this.
  5. eddietree

eddietree

Thanks Atomicjoe

to answer your question

- Are this Surface Shaders or Vertex + Fragment shaders?
    Because of the special rendering it needs, we had to develop a custom vertet+fragment shader for this.

- Are this shaders transparent or opaque ?
    Some are transparent and some are opaque, depending on your needs

- Do they use GrabPass ?
    Yes, in order to do transparent refractions, GrabPass is required. All mobile versions of the material (which is included in the asset) has grabpass disabled to be mobile-friendly.

- Do they cast/receive shadows ?
    They cast shadows, but currently does not receive

- Do they support realtime GI ?
    Does not support GI currently it would need to be a bit more involved. If there is a demand for GI, definitely wouldn't mind taking a look.

- How hard it is to make your custom material and textures with the included shaders?
    Very easy. If you look at the materials, it all uses only one shader, u can simply swap textures to immediately see how it affects.

- Any info about the used technique or a WebGL demo ?
    The technique is a variant of the parallax bumpmap technique. As for the WebGL demo, we tried recently but Unity had a weird WebGL export bug on the 2017 version we were using and couldn't be bothered to dig into it.

I hope that answers your questions, thanks again for your interest!

kavanavak likes this.
  6. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

I see... sadly, I really need shaders to be surface shaders in order to integrate nicely with the rest of my render pipeline as I'm doing pretty fancy stuff.
    Thanks anyway :)

7. eddietree

eddietree

Thanks Atomicjoe, not a problem. I will say that in our projects, we are using the crystal shader alongside alot of our standard shader materials in the scene and it does mesh well visually. Unsure if you are dipping into some fancy GI stuff, but should be generally viable within most contexts.

8. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

The problem is I use a custom deferred render for my game (not unity's deferred render) and it's not easy to integrate shaders that are not surface shaders.
    Also, things like realtime GI, shadow reception and tessellation can easily become a nightmare with regular fragment shaders.

9. eddietree

eddietree

Slight update, the volumetric crystal has been used by a few projects, recently "Chorus" by Justice VR video.
    http://tylerhurd.com/projects/chorus/

If you are using it, let us know, we'd love to feature you!

10. trilobyteme

trilobyteme

Nice, congratulations! I'm planning on using it for content I'm building in a Unity-based virtual world. Once I get some things finished an 'in-world' I'll post pics or video :)

11. eddietree

eddietree

Thanks! Looking forward to see how you use the material. And if you have enjoyed it, feel free to leave a review as well :) No pressure!

12. SpaceRay

SpaceRay

I have just seen this asset and it seems to be what I have been waiting and trying to find for a very loooong time. And it seems that it does not depend on having custom thickness map, curvature map, or any other map needed.

Please, how is this shader affected from ambient light and directional lighting? I mean if the effect shown on examples will keep the same or is better to have a low lighting for the effect to be seen better?

Thanks very much

13. eddietree

eddietree

Thanks for your interest, @SpaceRay. Most of lights effects don't really affect the crystal as most of them are transparent, however, specular lighting are enabled with certain lights (such as directional lights) and will provide you with specular highlights for that shiny bling look :)

The demo video shows the scene with one directional light

14. vallenshield

vallenshield

loving this shader but I'm having dificatly figering out how to make my own textchers for the shader to use with transparency mind sheding some light on this.

15. eddietree

eddietree

Hi Vallenshield. If you try replacing the "heightmap" texture slots in the material, you can get somewhat of a sense of how it works. Essentially, the value of the heightmap correlates to the depth of where to place the texture.

Feel free to email support@funktroniclabs.com if you have specific questions.

16. mangax

mangax

does this support light weight render pipeline?

17. eddietree

eddietree

Sorry for late reply, @mangax - I have not tested it with LWRP, but there is not reason why it would not work.

18. Airship

Airship

Unfortunately, looks like LWRP does not work. Awesome shaders though

19. eddietree

eddietree

@Airship ok we'll look into it. can you lmk what it is that doesn't work? is it just error (MAGENTA)?

20. Airship

Airship

Yeah, all of the shaders are just Magenta in LWRP.

21. eddietree

eddietree

Hey @Airship, just letting you know that we've submitted a fix for LWRP and the new version is now live! If you update the plugin now, you will received the fix. Thanks again for informing us of the bug, please let me know if you still have any problems!

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/slug/105951

- Eddie

22. Airship

Airship

Awesome, thanks for supporting LWRP. They look great!

23. Shinao

Shinao

I need a HDRP/ShaderGraph version, is it possible ?

24. eddietree

eddietree

HDRP is a feature that has been requested quite a bit recently, and am looking into it! It's def possible, I'll post here where it is integrated and the plug-in updated, thanks.

Shinao likes this.
  25. Unity-Artcraft

Unity-Artcraft

is there a way to make this work with unitys fog? :)

26. eddietree

eddietree

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    Unity-Artcraft and Shinao like this.
  27. Shinao

Shinao

@eddietree Thanks for the quick support. I can't seem to make Specular and Refraction works on HDRP though, on Standard it works as expected.

28. eddietree

eddietree

@Shinao, OK I'll look into it. can you describe what is going on? is it not working at all or is it working but just doesn't look correct? Thanks

29. Shinao

Shinao

@eddietree There is no change at all by moving the sliders or enabling the features (on HDRP, works fine on Standard).

eddietree likes this.
  30. eddietree

eddietree

@Shinao, ok took a look into it, seems like there is a general bug in HDRP working with lights in general. It seems like the variable "_WorldSpaceLightPos0" is undefined in HDRP unfortunately.

But it does seem like others have tried to solve this issue, you can see it here:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/shader-graph-light-direction.615316/
    https://gist.github.com/ciro-unity/a55d73bcda93ca149cf7fd7e407f8812

Essentially, at the moment, I am unable to receive unity scene lights are not passed automatically into the shader and requires users to have extra code to make it work. A bit frustrating that this stuff has not been consolidated, and I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

31. eddietree

eddietree

Shinao likes this.
  32. bariscigal

bariscigal

Looks definitely fantastic. My projects are mainly on mobile though. Can you share some images on mobile? How is the performance?

33. eddietree

eddietree

There are Material variants in asset bundle that have the material fully optimized for mobile, should run very fast on current phone platforms. We've used them on some of our Oculus Quest projects, which is not only VR but also a mobile gpu/processor, so should not have problems if your phone is current.

bariscigal likes this.
  34. eddietree

eddietree

Note:

For those of you who are having troubles with weird gamma textures withing certain render pipelines (like HDRP), you can fix it by toggling the sRGB flag within the textures.

Render bug (HDRP):

How to fix:

35. faolad

faolad

Hello, I recently bought the VolumetricCrystalMaterials asset and was wondering if there's a way to add emission to the shader. Thanks!

36. eddietree

eddietree

Thank you @faolad . I received your email, and happy to work with you over email.

faolad likes this.
  37. LogaNRV

LogaNRV

Hi. Do you think it would be too difficult to add "receive shadows" support to the shader?

rrahim likes this.
  38. eddietree

eddietree

Hi @LogaNRV , it would not be difficult to add. I'll take note to add it in our upcoming update

39. LogaNRV

LogaNRV

Hi, thanks!
    That would be great. I tried, but it was over my current knowledge of SRP shaders.

What I did, was integrating the volumetric shaders with the PIDI planar reflection asset from the store, but that was pretty easy.
    So now I have some floors that simulate "ice" using your shaders and with nice planar reflections :)

40. eddietree

eddietree

LogaNRV likes this.
  41. NotQuiteSmith

NotQuiteSmith

Do I need to do anything to enable URP? I'm not getting the same transparency, "glass" effect with todays release :-(

42. eddietree

eddietree

OK i will look into it @NotQuiteSmith , can you email me with your project details? Specifically which version of Unity and URP (and any other rendering settings you have enabled), and I will try to reproduce your bug and fix it?

Email: support@funktroniclabs.com

NotQuiteSmith likes this.
  43. KrisKay

KrisKay

Wow these are beautiful! Do they work with the Built-in Render Pipeline?

44. eddietree

eddietree

Yes Kris it should work work. Feel free to email us at support@funktroniclabs.com if you have any issues

45. KrisKay

KrisKay

Hi! With the materials that are transparent, would it be possible to put a light inside and have shine out onto the scene (like a lamp)?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
  46. eddietree

eddietree

Hi @KrisKay , we have an "Inner Light" component in the material, which I believe will accomplish what you are looking for. Simple choose any material and scroll down to the "Inner Light" section of the material.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to reach out at support@funktroniclabs.com

Attached Files:

KrisKay likes this.
  47. mrwhip

mrwhip

Hi @eddietree Awesome asset thanks!! I'm using this on Quest as well and trying out the mobile shaders. Is it possible to make any of them transparent? I've tried all the mobile shaders and can't get anything to be transparent.

I've been messing with changing some of the textures with my custom reflection maps (things like chandelier rainbow streaks) and it looks incredible and is so performant - but how can I make the shaders transparent or semi-transparent so you can see through them and still get some of these volumetric effects -- I want to put objects inside or be able to see thru a crystal a little to see a wall etc. Thanks!

48. eddietree

eddietree

Thanks, sorry for the slight delay, was out last week. To asnwer your question - you can try the non-mobile variants, which have transparency in them. Since alpha is rather slow on mobile (specifically on quest), we have transparency off on the mobile variants.

mrwhip likes this.
  49. Oyshoboy

Oyshoboy

Hi, I'm having this errors:

Shader error in 'FunktronicLabs/Volumetric': Couldn't open include file 'Packages/com.unity.render-pipelines.universal/Shaders/LitInput.hlsl'. at line 199

50. eddietree

eddietree

Hi there, can you please send us an email support@funktroniclabs.com with your unity version and general details on your setup (URP/HDRP/etc), happy to look into it, thanks