Search Unity

Feedback Volumetric Clouds

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by SebLazyWizard, Mar 20, 2021.

1. Ruchir

Ruchir

I have one more thing to say, although the controls are more than enough for normal scenes but I think one more noise layer could really help out with the Custom mode as I really don't want to create a coverage map for those Mid-sized details :p.

Also, you guys fixed the repetition in shape by using the multiplier but the repetitions in noise is still there (a bit exaggerated here but totally possible in fly throughs):
    upload_2021-9-30_0-7-24.png
    upload_2021-9-30_0-10-30.png
    upload_2021-9-30_0-13-4.png
    A second noise layer (please add this) or maybe a fix similar to one with the shape could fix this.

Rowlan likes this.
  2. Ruchir

Ruchir

Also, it's visible in the overcast preset currently:
    upload_2021-9-30_0-22-5.png

3. HIBIKI_entertainment

HIBIKI_entertainment

totally, the sunsets/rise and twilights have always been the weaker points mind, and the most dynamic looking, so i can certainly appreciate the massive steps here for PBS and the cloud systems

Ruchir likes this.
  4. HIBIKI_entertainment

HIBIKI_entertainment

i think the in and above clouds is being tackled more after the initial drop of functionality and performance for under cloud views

pierred_unity likes this.
  5. Ruchir

Ruchir

Well, one more suggestion would be to add a dimmer/toggle to directional lights itself to control it's effect on Volumetric cloud

Aa weird bug when rotating camera:

Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
  6. pierred_unity

pierred_unity

Unity Technologies

Visible tiling at very high altitude is inevitable with the current system. The presets are tuned for more "reasonable" scenarios and certainly not for space scenarios. With Custom or Manual modes it can be minimised more easily though.

We'll look into very high altitude scenarios, sun disk occlusion, multi layer clouds, etc. in a future major release.

Step by step.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
  7. LumaPxxx

LumaPxxx

Hi,i tried the cloud in the version 2021.2.b14,(not github one)
    the cloud color difference between different height is really awesome in most time.
    but i think there should be a multiplier slider for this effect.
    some people may not want this effect, some may want it a bit lower.
    these bright clouds in twilight time is a bit of weird to me,
    i know this is physically correct,but i think there should be some option for us to adjust it.

D[`_9SAR5AL`(MP1VDH_5%R.png

PutridEx likes this.
  8. PutridEx

PutridEx

Good point! I agree

9. auzaiffe

auzaiffe

Unity Technologies

You should avoid dynamic clipping in general, especially at planet scale size!

Ruchir likes this.
  10. LumaPxxx

LumaPxxx

Btw, the fog is rendered behind the clouds in Planar reflection from day 1.

it has no problem in reflection probe and SSR in 2021.2.b14.

maybe it's my settings are wrong or it's just a bug no one mentioned.

GIF 2021-10-2 14-40-22.gif

2. another bug i have noticed is the clouds in reflection probe is not moving.

so it's hard to capture a good reflection when the clouds flying over some good place in playmode.

this could be a problem to other people doing heavy reflection based project and they will be sad when they can not use planar reflection for clouds because the 1st bug i mentioned.....

Last edited: Oct 2, 2021
  11. pierred_unity

pierred_unity

Unity Technologies

Hey, you can reduce the sun light influence via the new sunlight dimmer. If you don't see this control in the volumetric clouds volume component (make sure you show all the additional properties via the 3-dots menu), then you'll have to wait a bit, or use the latest master branch from github if you can't.

This and the light probe dimmer (and scattering tint), should give you a lot of control.

Also, if you have very high clouds (as in higher than in reality), or even types of clouds that "shouldn't" be at certain altitudes, like cumulus clouds at 6km high, it'll also look very odd because it'll look unnatural, literally out of this world. That was the case for the earlier "cloudy" preset that had 2 layers of clouds, where the 2nd layer was unrealistically high and started to produce very odd sunrises/sunsets when we massively improved the cloud lighting for these time of days, because the top of the 2nd layer was still in full sun light whereas the lower part of the clouds and the terrain were in the Earth's shadow. The updated presets now behave as expected. The "stormy" preset still goes to 9km by default, but this is representative of very high cumulo nimbus.

7039e1983bda0a711611403fb0e013ed.jpg

In any case, playing with altitude and sun/probe dimmers will get you there if you don't want to have physically correct lighting or if you want to create fantasy clouds that don't follow Earth's "rules". Also don't forget about the lift/gamma/gain post fx: like in real world photography, you can reduce the intensity of the highlights if needed, without drastically changing the exposure value.

Thanks, this has already been reported by @Ruchir and I've logged it as a bug.

Gokcan, Ruchir and LumaPxxx like this.
  12. auzaiffe

auzaiffe

Unity Technologies

13. Ruchir

Ruchir

Hey @pierred_unity, I have one more suggestion,
    Currently the way Earth's curvature is handled makes it so the coverage maps change drastically with respect to world origin (most probably the pivot for coverage texture is not at world origin if it makes sense :p),

Because of this we can't really create a smooth interpolation between different "Earth curvature" on screen as the placement of clouds change drastically. If this is fixed (with an option to choose the pivot, if possible, for future proofing) we could do some cool effects with changing earth curvature at runtime. :)
    I hope what I said made some sense :p

14. Ruchir

Ruchir

Also, lens flare occlusion still doesn't work with volumetric clouds (local and non-local) which user would expect for the final release imo.

Just a suggestion about that, Currently I don't think it's possible to provide custom Occlusion data to SRP lens flare system, so it would be much better if you guys create a public facing API that supports user created systems to provide that data to Lens flare system and implement your logic using that instead.

I'm suggesting this because there could be cases where transparent objects don't write to depth buffer (which is used for occlusion I think) and we still may want it to occlude certain lens flares according to game scenario. (Say a window which gets very dirty over time, and we may want it to occlude the flares but not necessarily write to depth due to some reason)

LumaPxxx likes this.
  15. PutridEx

PutridEx

I have to say, this now sticks out like a sore thumb. It's nice, and I know probably realistic and correct
    but it's making it hard or maybe impossible to get the look i'm going for currently. An option as suggested by dongliang would be nice :D

Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
  16. pierred_unity

pierred_unity

Unity Technologies

Hey, did you try any of the solutions provided here? If you're trying to create something totally unrealistic, you'll need to use the solutions provided in my message above.

You should also share some screenshots.

Here are a few shots of the Stormy presets (it covers the whole vertical range), from 2000m, all the way to 32km (totally unrealistic), with the sun at 1.5 degrees above the horizon.

Even up to 16km, it still holds up, afterwards, we're entering alien planet territory.

upload_2021-10-11_11-26-23.png upload_2021-10-11_11-26-24.png upload_2021-10-11_11-26-28.png upload_2021-10-11_11-26-30.png upload_2021-10-11_11-26-41.png

PutridEx and Rowlan like this.
  17. pierred_unity

pierred_unity

Unity Technologies

As mentioned here, you can use the Sunlight Dimmer.

These images are taken with a sun under the horizon (-2 degrees).

upload_2021-10-11_11-43-16.png
    upload_2021-10-11_11-43-20.png
    upload_2021-10-11_11-43-23.png

OCASM, Ruchir, Lex4art and 1 other person like this.
  18. PutridEx

PutridEx

I switched to using the beta so I'll need to wait a bit to test the SunLight dimmer. Will be useful :D
    Actually, the Scattering Tint helped a bit, but
    the issue though is I have to push it pretty aggressively, and by doing so, it changes the scene/terrain lighting completely (and the look of all the clouds) which isn't viable

without tint:
    upload_2021-10-11_13-48-1.png

With tint:d Unity_Jv8Esj0L59.png

I like very thick clouds (unrealistic) where this issue can be more apparent:

upload_2021-10-11_14-0-58.png

upload_2021-10-11_14-3-41.png

I will test the sunlight dimmer when it lands in beta

Attached Files:

19. Ruchir

Ruchir

At lower density and white scattering color:
    upload_2021-10-11_20-27-12.png
    Black Scattering color:
    upload_2021-10-11_20-27-44.png

Shouldn't there be no shadows when using white scattering color? I mean the results look good at lower density, but I was just wondering if this is by design?

Like my reason for doing this was that I wanted well defined shapes, so I increased the density to max, but it looked bad even with scattering color set to white:
    upload_2021-10-11_20-30-19.png
    upload_2021-10-11_20-31-20.png

So, I think you should improve upon this so that clouds with higher density (for well-defined shape) could also look good enough/ simply get a lighter overall tone as currently this is lightest shade possible.

Attached Files:

20. Ruchir

Ruchir

And second thing I wanted to ask was why isn't there any option to change cloud color?
    The scattering tint as the name suggests only changes color of the scattered ray, not the reflected ones. This could really help with stylized scene quite a bit. :)

It's better when density is low, at higher density the reflected part is white all the time.

At normal settings:
    upload_2021-10-11_20-38-6.png

Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
  21. Rowlan

Rowlan

It would be super awesome if a dev could spend the few minutes to make this a one-click solution directly out of that error message and take this every alpha version occurring pain away :)

pain.png

Deleted User likes this.
  22. pierred_unity

pierred_unity

Unity Technologies

Hey, you seem to want 2 opposites concepts (high density and bright tint) to work in the same way. ;)

Denser clouds will absorb more light, so they'll look darker. This works as expected in the current system. Also, you can see that at the max density, without erosion, they start looking fairly pixellated. You should probably stick to a lower density, and/or increase the erosion.

You can also play with the exposure in your scene because your sky looks really underexposed. Also, you should check the curve for the ambient occlusion, I can see it's a very steep curve: so this can also explain why there might be darker than you want them to be. And you can try to lower the density to something more reasonable, like 0.2 - 0.5.

With a correctly exposed sky, a white cloud tint, you should be able to get brighter clouds. Below is the simple Stormy preset with a white tint (with the default black tint, it'll look more ominous/realistic):
    3B865DB1-47E8-49EE-B835-5BDCDFCCA5EE.GIF

Self-shadows, realistic lighting, and erosion are key features of the current system, so if you don't want to rely on them at all (based on the screenshots you shared), it's a missed opportunity.

One last hack you could do is set the number of light steps to just 1, this will result in even brighter clouds as it will remove most of the self-shadowing. Here's a quick test I did, trying to match your type of clouds with no erosion, I think it might be the look that you're after:
    3238E76A-84CC-4A48-919A-560847CB71C8.GIF

And if you add on top the sun and light probe dimmer, the possibilities are really endless, from bright white clouds like above, to dark orange clouds below:
    upload_2021-10-11_18-8-9.png

ElevenGame and Ruchir like this.
  23. Ruchir

Ruchir

Just making sure the system can handle most of needs one might expect :p

Yeah, this definitely helped with the issue :).
    I was trying to get well defined shapes instead of soft clouds to make sure the system could handle it (and as you pointed out, the way clouds are optimized make it look pixelated on the edges)

What I thought was that the Tint Color "multiplied" by density is supposed to define how dark self-shadowing/Scattering should be (along with multi scattering to control the diffusion), but it doesn't have full control over it currently. I think from an artist point of view (I'm not an artist btw :p) I may want more absolute control over it. (Although it does look rather good nonetheless)

Problem with relying on this is that the clouds look really underexposed in most situation, and if I don't decrease the dimmer value the color being reflected (white) overpowers the tint color.

24. Deleted User

Deleted User

In 2021 you don't have to do anything the clouds are there already... I think u have to update the default HDRP scene template in unity HUB

25. Rowlan

Rowlan

Thanks! I installed Alpha 11 and was wondering why I still have to set that manually after I read it would be automatic some time ago.

26. Ruchir

Ruchir

I really wanted to say that this system works really good for the theme and scenarios they were targeting.
    The performance is just too good for the visual quality it offers (Compared to what UE4/5 offers, its performance cost is very high comparatively)

Here is the sample scene I created with it:
    Image Sequence_001_0050.png

I have attached the Volume settings file for this scene if anyone's interested. (Maybe saturation is a bit too high :oops:)

The performance after a bit of tweaking is just mind blowing for the quality I get. I get around 200fps at max preset on my machine, 5900HX and 3060 laptop GPU (Volumetric fog disabled)
    The vertical wind really adds to the realism here.

Kudos to @pierred_unity , @auzaiffe and their team :D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
    Gokcan, ElevenGame, sqallpl and 4 others like this.
  27. auzaiffe

auzaiffe

Unity Technologies

Thanks for the positive feedback, I've spent a lot of time and energy making the system robust and fast. It's heart warming and makes it worth it to see that the users actually like it. Wouldn't have been remotely possible without working with @pierred_unity to reach out the visual quality that it has now, truely an amazing artist!

Gokcan, shikhrr, LumaPxxx and 4 others like this.
  28. auzaiffe

auzaiffe

Unity Technologies

We are also very grateful for the constant feeback that you guys give us. Allow us to know where to focus to meet your expectations!

29. Ruchir

Ruchir

I just have one more feedback regarding this,
    Currently when using the presets, we don't have any control except the cloud's thickness, it would be really helpful to add some more control over these presets.

The example I showed above was made using Custom mode, where I was able to tweak the ambient occlusion curve but in other presets the scene looks really washed out because of the default presets (and my scene setup):
    upload_2021-10-15_13-38-36.png

So, it may be helpful to add some multipliers (if absolute controls are not possible).
    Although I could achieve similar looks using other modes and more control, but I really like these presets :D and want to have a bit more control over it :)

30. auzaiffe

auzaiffe

Unity Technologies

We eventually want to make the presets adjustable yes, we have some technical limitations that block us for now, but it is planned (will also allow for them the be interpolable).

NotaNaN, sqallpl, PutridEx and 2 others like this.
  31. PutridEx

PutridEx

It really is quite amazing :D
    The performance is just too impressive, while still looking good.

These volumetric clouds are only taking 1ms on a laptop GTX 1070! :eek:

jiraphatK, sqallpl and auzaiffe like this.
  32. Ruchir

Ruchir

tried a overcast/sandstorm scene :p:
    Image Sequence_003_0050.png

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
    OCASM, Gokcan, NotaNaN and 5 others like this.
  33. chap-unity

chap-unity

Unity Technologies

FYI, this has been taken care of in this PR. It's two click solution as It does not "fix" instantly but rather taking users to the right spot for better understanding where to enable/disable things;

PutridEx likes this.
  34. Rowlan

Rowlan

Awesome! Thanks, gotta try that with a new project

35. PutridEx

PutridEx

Will it be in 2021.2?
    I don't see a backport label, but doesn't hurt to ask :D
    Maybe since the pull was opened a long time ago it'll make it to 2021.2? Even though it was just merged

36. Rowlan

Rowlan

I had to try the view above the clouds. Lots of trials, made me wish to have a button to save the current setting quickly.

c5.jpg
    c2.jpg
    c3.jpg

37. pierred_unity

pierred_unity

Unity Technologies

Nice!

You can set your shape wind and vertical shape wind at 0, while keeping the erosion wind going. This way the clouds still have a lot of micro movements, while staying in place.

38. Ruchir

Ruchir

Is there any way to get volumetric clouds to look good using just sky ambient light?
    upload_2021-10-21_19-17-44.png

Currently when just using ambient light the color tint parameter just doesn't change anything (because it only changes the shadowed part which isn't present in ambient lighting), and it lacks any detail. (Only when using height based custom ambient occlusion, I was able to give them some sense of depth)
    With erosion occlusion set to 1 it still lacks any real sense of depth or just looks bad:
    upload_2021-10-21_19-19-15.png

using ambient light (stormy preset):
    upload_2021-10-21_19-21-8.png
    When using a strong sun light and pbs sky:
    upload_2021-10-21_19-21-34.png

The difference is just too drastic, I think.

I know the HDRI in the screenshot wasn't suitable for volumetric clouds to be overlayed on but given we don't have a good of authoring cloud coverage maps (at least I don't know how to till now :p) I can't really overlay these clouds (volumetric or 2D ones) on cloudless sky HDRI's either. (It would look really good if we could overlay these clouds on HDRIs I think, I tried this HDRI for clear sky but it looked bad tbh)

Right now the clouds are only suitable for PBS sky.

PutridEx likes this.
  39. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I know it's a long shot, but I would love this system to be usable in URP too because in URP I am making my skyboxes inside Unity and then rendering to cubemap via probe.

Do you think it will be possible one day? Thanks!

Ruchir likes this.
  40. HIBIKI_entertainment

HIBIKI_entertainment

Ooo Interesting.

You can already export the skies in the edit menu in HDRP as an exr.

It does currently ignore an overlays like clouds though.
    But I can see in the long run it might be an option since having local mode unchecked in the cloud is somewhat like a sky box.

So maybe it's in the pipeline for both SRPs

Additionally if you can get it to work, the recorder can export 360 images ( I'm sure exr was an option.) But I believe it's captured the 6 sided set up that URP uses

Alternative in for hdrp You could set up a capture with the EV ranges and merge the final into and HDRI maybe as a fallback.

41. xgonzal2

xgonzal2

Definitely possible for them to do it one day. The screenshot I attached is mostly using this cloud system in a fork I have of URP12. So keep bugging them and maybe it'll happen lol.

Attached Files:

rz_0lento, ElevenGame and Ruchir like this.
  42. auzaiffe

auzaiffe

Unity Technologies

Porting to URP is not just about copy pasting the volumetric clouds code and running it in the editor with a hacked URP. Shipping a heavy feature for URP is shipping for all devices including the ones that cannot heavily rely on compute shaders. Which is unlikely happening in the near future. It is not because we didn't think about it or we do not have the knowledge o_O

TerraUnity likes this.
  43. xgonzal2

xgonzal2

Hey apologies if this came off wrong. Totally not my intention. I know it's more involved than simply copying over what you've done as we've added a large codebase on top of URP that had a side effect of making an implementation of this system a lot easier.

Our min spec starts at compute capable devices so we don't have the same limitations you guys have to deal with and affords us way more flexibility with the feature set we can have. I do think it is a little silly to have a requirement that a feature must run on every single device out there as I don't think any other popular engine does that and I hope that gets relaxed in the future. That said though you guys are doing awesome stuff with HDRP and hope it continues but also hope URP gets some love too haha.

rz_0lento likes this.
  44. pierred_unity

pierred_unity

Unity Technologies

That's not correct. It's suitable for any situation with a directional light. It works with all types of skies, even gradient sky.

The latest version of the HDRP scene template (available IN Unity 2021.2 beta 16 iirc) uses an HDRI Sky (cloudless blue sky) and works perfectly fine with the volumetric clouds, as long as there is a directional light to light the world (clouds included). And the probe the clouds rely on is based of the sky.

If you don't want the sunlight to affect your assets, then you can use the light layers for instance. And if you want a custom reflection on these assets, you can use a local reflection probe with your own cubemap.

But don't try to apply your "captured on the ground dark green forest" HDRI to the clouds that live several kilometers above and surrounded by a bright blue sky instead. This doesn't really make any sense in the context of clouds. ;)

45. Ruchir

Ruchir

Yes, you're correct.
    I think what I meant was that It's not suitable for any skybox with any details above sea-level. The hdri provided is too similar to PBS sky anyway.

It would be really helpful if you could show some example using such a HDRI:https://polyhaven.com/a/autumn_park

I think some option to blend clouds at the horizon would be really good.

Only way right now it to cover below the horizon using height based fog or geometry (some part above it as well) but it covers any detailed part of HDRI, if we could blend clouds near horizon, maybe fade into the sky near horizon, or take an input cubemap mask for things like mountains, trees and such :D

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
  46. Lex4art

Lex4art

First thing comes to mind is to enable back directional light but tweak it hard: put strictly above player (90C), make "Angular diameter" extra huge (maybe even disable "Specular" component checkbox to make sun less noticeable), tweak sun color to be green - all this *potentially* can bring desired effect on volumetric clouds.

Ruchir likes this.
  47. Ruchir

Ruchir

I know the exposure is a bit low, but you will get my point.
    This is what it looks like with something more sensible HDRI :p:
    upload_2021-10-22_17-42-18.png
    What I used: https://polyhaven.com/a/autumn_park
    or try this one: https://polyhaven.com/a/flower_road (better HDRI for this scenario but still the same problem)
    With fog:
    upload_2021-10-22_17-42-38.png
    Without Clouds and fog:
    upload_2021-10-22_12-25-22.png
    I have no idea how to blend it with the environment (HDRI) right now. :(

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
    Lex4art likes this.
  48. Ruchir

Ruchir

Just one more example:
    upload_2021-10-22_14-10-33.png
    upload_2021-10-22_14-10-36.png
    upload_2021-10-22_14-10-39.png

49. auzaiffe

auzaiffe

Unity Technologies

No worries, I just wanted to make sure that it was clear that it was not a lack of conviction or lazyness from our side. If you are working on a custom SRP (starting from URP), you can compltely copy paste the code from HDRP and make use of it inside your custom SRP.

50. Ruchir

Ruchir

Also, when changing the earth curvature parameter, if we are not using height based fog, there are no option to hide the clouds beneath the sea level (It could be hidden using geometry though but for non-local mode it would be better to have some other solution as well)
    Currently it looks like this (Irrespective of the sky used):
    upload_2021-10-22_18-1-32.png

upload_2021-10-22_18-1-50.png