Search Unity

Feedback Volumetric Clouds

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by SebLazyWizard, Mar 20, 2021.

1. Ruchir

Ruchir

I would really want these features, especially 3 since it's much easier to do compared to making texture maps.

2. auzaiffe

auzaiffe

Unity Technologies

Incoming improvements for the light rays (Video made with 64 Primary step, 8 Light Steps, Accumulation factor factor 0.95)

Rewaken, rz_0lento, PutridEx and 4 others like this.
  3. Ruchir

Ruchir

What do you exactly mean by the light rays? (Is it the scattering ray inside clouds)

4. LumaPxxx

LumaPxxx

Ok,i have to confess that i underestimated this cloud system.
    it got a pretty good potential.
    but unity team should add more better default settings to make people got some faith for it.

7W)5LJA8G$AGSLYHA0K{ZHG.png EARMKJGX~4I)1RX(2ZB}UOW.png LQ5O)%2VH)[A43KGW@}7MNU.png RGFMEV0)5P1}5A[VG(%JC)A.png

Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
    PutridEx, Kirsche and Lex4art like this.
  5. auzaiffe

auzaiffe

Unity Technologies

Rewaken, mariandev, Kirsche and 2 others like this.
  6. pierred_unity

pierred_unity

Unity Technologies

Here's a small selection of the future presets (cloudy, custom, stormy, overcast, etc.).

Screenshot1.jpg Screenshot2.jpg Screenshot8.jpg Screenshot11.jpg Screenshot10.jpg

Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
  7. Ruchir

Ruchir

Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
  8. Ruchir

Ruchir

One important thing missing is that we can't tint the cloud, we can just change the scattering tint. Maybe you could allow for colored textures for color maps alongside a global tint if possible.:)

9. pierred_unity

pierred_unity

Unity Technologies

I'm not sure I understand; the "scattering tint" is the tint of the cloud.

You can tint the clouds with the probe influence and the scattering tint btw. By lowering the probe influence and add more ambient occlusion (for instance with the new "Custom" preset with curves), you can achieve even darker clouds (and tinting becomes even more effective when dealing with darker clouds).

Then, if you want a height-based gradient or a tinted cloud coverage map, this is another thing. However, for now, the focus is to produce good-looking realistic clouds, so heavy stylization features are not yet planned. Step by step. ;)

10. Onigiri

Onigiri

pierred_unity likes this.
  11. Ruchir

Ruchir

upload_2021-6-29_4-51-30.png

For me that only changes the color of scattered light(I mean shadows), not the cloud itself :(

12. LumaPxxx

LumaPxxx

Hi,will there be some optimization that let us render half or 1/4 size resolution of the cloud in none "Local Clouds" mode?
    i think it will be fine that rendering a 1080p cloud sky into a 4k game's background.
    Horizon:ZeroDawn had done it before and it worked pretty well.
    the performance of hdrp cloud system is good but i think there still are some space to improve it.

13. auzaiffe

auzaiffe

Unity Technologies

Clouds have been rendered in 1/4 res since day one

SuperRaffles likes this.
  14. LumaPxxx

LumaPxxx

Glad to know it got the concept done already!

So...how about a little button let us to decide what resolution should be used?
    sometimes we want a full res high detailed cloud sky for high quality animation rendering and sometimes we might want a 1/8 resolution low detailed but high performance sky to give players with low end spec have a good game experience. :)

And i just wonder is the ability of blending different volumetric cloud volume profiles on the roadmap?
    i tried to blend a manual control cloud with a simple preset cloud, can't get it work.

15. auzaiffe

auzaiffe

Unity Technologies

We plan to add more scalability on the quality/perf, right now we focused on a high performance solution but the quality one will come eventually.

16. TekHK

TekHK

One thing that is really so important if this is to be useful in simulation is Time of Day and Geolocation. We should be able to choose a geographic location on the globe, time of year and time of day. I would be so happy if this was integrated.

veddycent and rafaelpereiratek like this.
  17. jjejj87

jjejj87

When I turn my volumetric cloud I get super low res white blobs...how do I get clouds like in your screenshots...I tried a few things but I can't seem to improve quality.

Ruchir likes this.
  18. LumaPxxx

LumaPxxx

Just some feedbacks.
    combined my game's terrain with the new hdrp cloud.
    i must say "Beautiful!!!Well done!!!"
    the reasons i kept with hdrp are the physically based sky and its fog system.
    and now a new reason is rising up.

there are still something annoying,i listed them by crtical level.

1.the cloud shadow is too light and it feels like a screen overlay not real shadow, cause it just make real shadows and specular darker not properly blended with them. i have to turn it off and use my cookie texture in direction light to act as cloud shadow.

2. the specular caused by the occluded sun.(i saw the thread talked about this problem,just want to list it out,i think this could be fixed with the first problem)

3. clouds can not be baked into the reflection probe.(it was pointed out in the document,but it's a big problem to make it production ready)

4.the tiling feeling on the side of the clouds is too heavy,there should be some options to reduce it.

5.the cell feeling on the edge around clouds makes it look like low resolution, especially on the close distance clouds.

BIAW4COFH07@KH3KM`JB5@W.png ]8O_QA(08)7E4ILF9P70$(D.png 5(1FCPH}(}1EA%J6HYL2)KT.png $O1)3Y1[}}BG5]M2$R[UQ)A.png
    VP82FDT`UBTR(_N21)5ZVQ2.png

Ruchir likes this.
  19. pierred_unity

pierred_unity

Unity Technologies

Hey, nice experimentations!

1 & 2) Did you set the shadow opacity to 100%? this will entirely kill the sun light (including specular) in the cloud shadows. If you can show the exact issue with a screenshot/video this would be best. Also, tune the shadow area size and fallback opacity. You probably want the fallback opacity to be 100% to fill the sun beyond the shadow distance, this will prevent any specular leaking.

3) This will be implemented soon. The planar reflections already support the clouds btw.

4 & 5) Did you play with the shape factor/scale, erosion factor/scale? these are exactly meant to tackle these 2 issues.

20. Ruchir

Ruchir

You can edit this by enabling additional option for cloud volume: (Shadow opacity)
    upload_2021-6-30_21-28-17.png

LumaPxxx likes this.
  21. LumaPxxx

LumaPxxx

Thx,bro.
    i see the problem cause i don't even have these options,you guys are talking about the version on github all these time...
    i'm still using the version downloaded from package manager, downloading github version now.

22. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

that option are available in the package manager version

LumaPxxx likes this.
  23. Ruchir

Ruchir

I'm still using the package manager version, you enable additional settings by right-clicking on the volumetric cloud section title and enabling a checkbox

LumaPxxx likes this.
  24. LumaPxxx

LumaPxxx

SUPER BIG THANKS TO YOU!
    i didn't know this trick for all these time with hdrp...o_O

Ruchir likes this.
  25. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Oh right, i totally forgot about that thing. Always set them as visible :p
    upload_2021-7-1_0-59-38.png

LumaPxxx likes this.
  26. Ruchir

Ruchir

This is also applicable to all the foldouts these days, Like the emission, shadow, etc foldouts for the light component.
    Hope it helps :)

LumaPxxx likes this.
  27. LumaPxxx

LumaPxxx

Hi,thank you for reply!
    I fixed the problem 1&2 by changing the shadow opacity in the hidden options, didn't know it before.
    but the shadow looks a bit too hard to me,if you guys decide to add more soft shadow in the future,please don't forget make the shadow grow a bit to avoid the specular leaking in soft part.

the problem 4.i had given the shape & erosion values to my clouds as much as i could in my test.
    i guess the only way to fix it is the ability to random blending 2 or more Cloud Lut textures on clouds.
    not sure the performance cost though.

the problem 5 is mostly caused by the noise texture used by erosion effect.
    if there are 2 or more layers of the noise texture could be used that will most likely fix it.
    one layer for big shape erosion, one layer for small shape erosion.
    and the small shape layer could use some other type noise texture to add more details.
    imo worley noise is not good for small details and thin part of cloud.
    still not sure the performance cost.

just my thought, i'm already happy with what i have got for now.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2021
  28. Ruchir

Ruchir

This is what is used by https://assetstore.unity.com/packag...c-skies-clouds-and-atmospheres-in-hdrp-192456 as far as I am aware and it gives really good looking results imo :eek:

LumaPxxx likes this.
  29. pierred_unity

pierred_unity

Unity Technologies

Great!

And yes, my colleague and I only talk about the github version. It always takes a bit of time to trickle down via the package manager. If you need the most recent code, github is the way. :)

LumaPxxx likes this.
  30. Ruchir

Ruchir

Is there a way clouds could work with Dynamic resolution, because right now I tried dynamic resolution by forcing screen percentage of about 50% (Just to check DLSS and AMD FidelityFX :p), and considering the clouds are already quater res, They really look like blobs of dark and light color with dynamic resolution.
    Native:
    upload_2021-7-1_11-23-21.png

DLSS:
    upload_2021-7-1_11-23-21.png
    Would it be possible to mitigate this issue somehow considering DLSS somehow manages to make the textures look like native resolution?:D

Attached Files:

chap-unity likes this.
  31. chap-unity

chap-unity

Unity Technologies

Hey, @Ruchir, thanks a lot for your feedback.

FYI, it has been discussed internally and we'll try to investigate if it's possible to make it better.
    A public report have been made (give it a few hours) if some want to follow.

Ruchir likes this.
  32. Ruchir

Ruchir

After updating to beta 2, I started noticing weird black spots under clouds:
    upload_2021-7-2_21-39-17.png
    I tried increasing the steps to maximum but they still are present. Am I missing some settings?

33. auzaiffe

auzaiffe

Unity Technologies

Try playing with the "Erosion Occlusion" slider lowering it down

Ruchir likes this.
  34. Ruchir

Ruchir

I must say it's quite a big jump in quality over previous iterations :)
    upload_2021-7-2_22-34-50.png
    upload_2021-7-2_22-40-58.png

Just the presets don't seem to have been updated in this release yet. :p

Lex4art likes this.
  35. auzaiffe

auzaiffe

Unity Technologies

The new presets are in the current master branch, and will be in next beta

Kirsche, teutonicus and Ruchir like this.
  36. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

It seems the weather gonna be sucks.

Anyway. love the improvement in the beta2.
    Now i'm wondering, any chance we can get a distance scale for the Erosion noise? right now it kinda hard to balance the detail between near cloud and far cloud
    oh also shape and erosion parameter tilling please so we can create a stretched clouds.
    Would also hoping for a distortion parameter, but i'm not quite sure how it's going to work
    upload_2021-7-3_2-56-5.png

Last edited: Jul 2, 2021
    Ruchir likes this.
  37. LumaPxxx

LumaPxxx

Nice update in beta2.
    Hope the soft cloud shadow is coming soon.
    so we can do some real project with these clouds.

2T}8WEW}}1P0YM2Z5`J7Q$9.png

Ruchir likes this.
  38. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

This might not directly related, but i'm wondering. Is HDRP Volumetric rendering are unified? i mean Volumetric fog and Cloud are maybe rendered in Single Volumetric pass? well maybe except non local cloud.

39. Ruchir

Ruchir

I don't think so considering they don't receive shadows or are affected by lights(other than the main directional light).

40. BruceBarratt

BruceBarratt

I followed the instructions here https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.render-pipelines.high-definition@12.0/manual/Override-Volumetric-Clouds.html and on the volume it still says "The current HDRP Asset does not support volumetric clouds."

The instructions don't seem to 100% match the reality: "The property to enable in your HDRP Asset is: Lighting > Volumetric Clouds > Volumetric Clouds."

All I can see is Lighting > Volumetrics > Volumetric Clouds. Anyway I've checked this in the HDRP Asset and Lighting > Volumetric Clouds in the Default Frame Settings and it still doesn't work.

Did anyone else have this problem? Am I missing something?

41. Ruchir

Ruchir

Try ensuring you have the quality level with the right HDRP asset selected. (it's in Project settings>Quality)

42. BruceBarratt

BruceBarratt

Thanks for your help. Working :)

Ruchir likes this.
  43. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

ah that's a good point. . . make sense

44. Ruchir

Ruchir

I am facing a weird problem:
    upload_2021-7-9_0-28-47.png

With Cumulonimbus map multiplier at anything > 0:
    upload_2021-7-9_0-29-48.png
    With higher value (only Cumulonimbus map is visible):
    upload_2021-7-9_0-30-36.png
    All other clouds disappear for some reason.:(

Is this an intended behavior? (I remember seeing a post about overlapping clouds maps before)
    But considering there is no height difference between these maps it's pretty pointless to use all of them at once.
    This is the beta 3 btw, also presets haven't been updated till now (I'm looking forward to using them:p)

45. Ruchir

Ruchir

One more bug I found was that sometimes the offset randomly changes when changing view to game view from the scene view or playing the game.
    This is really annoying when I try to get a specific view and then it's gone for no reason.
    The offset value remains the same so I guess it has something to with wind, but it shouldn't change the whole cloudscape in a second or two to be unrecognizable from the initial offset.

46. Ruchir

Ruchir

One more thing I noticed was that whenever I tried passing through clouds it was as if my camera had a sphere around it inside which the cloud density was zero, the problem being this volume seemed to be pretty big and noticeable:
    upload_2021-7-9_0-54-20.png
    It isn't easy to show in a picture but I should be inside a really dense cloud volume right now But I can see the ground pretty easily. If I go up a bit I can see the circle you see in this Screenshot decreasing:
    upload_2021-7-9_0-56-27.png

47. pierred_unity

pierred_unity

Unity Technologies

In this mode, you can only have one cloud type per pixel in the concatenation of the cloud coverage maps. Remember it's just a 2d map with 1 single layer of clouds (for now). So that's expected in this mode.

The passage of time in the scene view and game view is not the same. You should use a wind speed of 0 if you want to get 100% matching cloud positions.

There is a near clip equivalent on the clouds to avoid reprojection bugs. This has been reduced recently btw, to minimize this effect (in Github, not in the available betas afaik). We might expose this distance eventually.

ElevenGame and Ruchir like this.
  48. Ruchir

Ruchir

Well, just a thought but would it be possible to have an input for height maps and thickness maps (considering it's just like terrain with one layer in this mode)?
    It would become easier to create some stylized scenes this way and author tools like a simple heightmap and thickness map painter.
    And you could just offer another mode for this if you are adding support for multiple layers. :)

ElevenGame likes this.
  49. sqallpl

sqallpl

@pierred_unity , @auzaiffe

Hi,

I have two questions. Do you plan to add support for volumetric clouds contribution for ambient lighting in dynamic mode (visual environment component) during the 2021.2 beta or 2021.2?

If I understood replies in this thread right clouds are not included in the ambient lighting, so even if the sky is completely covered in clouds ambient lighting still uses input only from clear Physically Based Sky (or other sky type that is currently used). Am I right? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Same question for reflection probes support. Can we expect it to be added in 2021.2?

Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
  50. MarcelArioli

MarcelArioli

It would be really awesome to define a box that has clouds INSIDE it. That would allow to place specific clouds in a game. (working on a skyfarer game where you control a skyship and clouds should become somewhat of level-boundaries, so I need to be able to place them in specific spots)

Is something like that planned/possible ? (I got intrigued because the 'Local Clouds' toggle states they could be moved around, but I don't think that's implemented yet ?)