Search Unity

Feedback Volumetric Clouds

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by SebLazyWizard, Mar 20, 2021.

1. pierred_unity

pierred_unity

Unity Technologies

We're also adding the ability to finally offset the clouds (for all the modes). So for instance, if you use a preset and like the look of it, but need to shift the clouds by a certain amount for whatever reason, you can now do it very easily. Very useful for composing your shots nicely, when clouds need to be placed very precisely.

2. sqallpl

sqallpl

@pierred_unity

Great to see more improvements and features.

I have a question about volumetric clouds contribution for ambient probe. Are they included in the environmental probe now? Or maybe the input is only from the clear sky (when using PBR sky)? The documentation of HDRP 12 says that volumetric clouds do not appear in reflection probes but I don't see anything about 'visual environment' or sky.

3. pierred_unity

pierred_unity

Unity Technologies

Not at the moment, they will be eventually of course.

Recently we've added support for planar reflections (requires the exposure control to also be active in the frame settings):
    upload_2021-6-4_13-48-33.png

4. pierred_unity

pierred_unity

Unity Technologies

To give a quick update (in addition to what @auzaiffe shared), we've recently added:

- better noise to improve overall visual quality
    - curve-based cloud workflow to speed up cloud creation
    - custom offset to shift clouds around
    - planar reflection support
    - new erosion occlusion to add additional lighting details within the clouds

valarnur, keni4, lilacsky824 and 9 others like this.
  5. olavrv

olavrv

Looks very nice, good work!

6. TekHK

TekHK

How are you going to deal with different cloud types and layers of different clouds?

I would like to see presets for layers that refer to different cloud types such as Cirrus, Cumulous etc etc so that we can author layer skies where the lower clouds can have a different velocity to the upper clouds.

Ruchir likes this.
  7. Ruchir

Ruchir

I think currently the only way to have layered clouds is to use the custom/advance mode.

But yeah it would be great to have options for multiple type/layers of cloud available as default instead of having to author them by hand.
    I guess their current priority was to get the visuals/basic features right and then look into these things.

8. Ruchir

Ruchir

This should be the end result in my opinion for unity's cloud system if we want to cover all kinds of projects:

Deleted User likes this.
  9. Horus_Sungod42

Horus_Sungod42

Hello!

Interesting new feature!

I'm wondering if there are cloud "maps" as well as "luts" available, even if it is the default textures used in simple mode, just for us to understand what these special textures are.

I'm seeing the CloudLutRainAO and WorleyNoise textures, but unfortunately, applying them in the cloud map/lut in manual mode seems to do nothing.

Thanks!

chap-unity and Ruchir like this.
  10. jjxtra

jjxtra

How do I enable the volumetric clouds? What exactly do I have to click on to turn them on? Using Unity 2021.2a and HDRP 12... keeps saying current asset is not supported...

11. BATTLEKOT

BATTLEKOT

Make sure you enable check box of volumetric clouds in HDRP render asset (Graphic/Quality Settings).
    Make sure its on in camera custom rendering settings.
    You can open debug view and in scene camera enable checkbox for volumetric clouds.

12. jjxtra

jjxtra

No joy, enabled volumetric clouds on the hdrp asset in graphics, still same error. I don't see a camera custom rendering settings area anywhere...

13. jjxtra

jjxtra

Had to change my quality level to high, then it worked.

14. id0

id0

I'm still not able to see any clouds on dx11 (Vulkan show the clouds fine).

GTX-1650, Win 7, HDRP 12.0, Unity 2021.2.0a19

Last edited: Jun 20, 2021
  15. pierred_unity

pierred_unity

Unity Technologies

Here's a checklist, in no particular order:
    • Enable the clouds in your HDRP asset (and make sure this HDRP asset is used for the Quality Level you're using)
    • In Project Settings > Graphics > HDRP Global Settings, make sure the Camera can render the Volumetric Clouds
    • Make sure the volume where you enable the volumetric clouds has a high enough priority, in case another volume overrides it
    • Make sure the far plane on the camera is high enough in case you use the "Local" mode of the clouds
    • Make sure your system and drivers are up to date (Win7?)

If none of this works, create a bug report please, with a tiny repro project.

16. id0

id0

No one can read here, or what? I already told Vulkan show me the clouds, this mean all settings are correct. I'm tired of being a beta tester of unity, the engine is simply falling apart, and nothing works.

17. Ruchir

Ruchir

One problem I found with new SRP Light flare system is that the flares don't get occluded by fog or clouds. It looks weird in my cloudy scene right now.
    Directional Light and Volumetric clouds(non-local mode)
    upload_2021-6-21_21-35-5.png

Point light and local Volumetric Fog:
    upload_2021-6-21_21-35-45.png

Both can be seen through Thick Fog:
    upload_2021-6-21_21-36-59.png

Lex4art and Deleted User like this.
  18. pierred_unity

pierred_unity

Unity Technologies

Yes, it's on the list. Currently, the clouds don't write any depth information, so the flares cannot be occluded. ;)

SuperRaffles and Ruchir like this.
  19. pierred_unity

pierred_unity

Unity Technologies

There is no need to be disrespectful.

Unity 2021.2 (+ HDRP 12) is still in early beta. So, you're indeed literally a beta tester if you are on this version. And that's much appreciated if you want to participate, report bugs, and give feedback. :)

So, issues are indeed expected. If you want production-ready stability, then you should be using Unity 2020.3 LTS, with HDRP 10.x, and certainly not an alpha version of Unity (2021.2.0a19)!

If none of the checklist points I gave in my previous message worked, then please report a bug. Our QA can then try to repro your issue with the slim project you provide. Who knows, you might have another feature that interferes with the clouds, or outdated software/drivers. We can't know without a proper bug report.

20. Ruchir

Ruchir

I also agree with this.

Well, I gotta say the new SRP lens flare system is good overall considering you also provide quite a lot of preset effects to use and learn from.
    I am just waiting for the improved cloud system you showed earlier.

One of the things I find bizarre is that you cap the cloud's height to 0.01, I think you could allow it to go lower than that for scenes where we were supposed to be High up in the sky(above the clouds), maybe in a fantasy setting or something for which simple height fog is not good enough. :)

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
  21. Ruchir

Ruchir

One more bug I found while playinng around in the "ExampleDirectionalLight" scene is that occlusion seems to buggy.
    A lot of time when I look directly at the sun, the lens flare disappears (even without any obstacle in between) and many times even when it's fully occluded the lens flare is fully visible making the scene hazy)

22. Ruchir

Ruchir

The reason was this maybe:
    Occlusion radius in the scene view and game view don't match even though I keep the FOV the same in both cases and the game resolution doesn't really affect this at all:

Although the size should be more in terms of angular radius for directional light and radius of the sphere in meters/units for other lights

upload_2021-6-22_1-44-29.png

upload_2021-6-22_1-43-7.png

Should I create another thread for this? :p

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
  23. pRoFlT

pRoFlT

Wow i just wanted to read up on cloud volumes and i find this thread. Nice to see unity trying to fix the problems we find. I'm alpha testing unity 2021, only version that is letting me get grass detail in terrain right , hoping HDRP turns out for the best. soo many issues. Feels like HDRP came out too soon. But understandable it needs to get out there and ran to find the issues. Unity cant test for all our scenarios. but if unity needs some more in house testers :) message me. I'm willing to get paid for it! I think you've fixed enough for me to try it out now. Maybe ill be back with good/bad news.

24. slime73

slime73

It does render to a shadow texture though, right? Maybe the lens flares can sample from that in some manner?

Ruchir likes this.
  25. jomath229

jomath229

I checked volumetric cloud in both the hdrp assets and in the graphic settings for camera lighting, but I still get this error message in the volume. Is this a known issue?
    upload_2021-6-22_2-24-45.png

26. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

upload_2021-6-22_22-31-28.png
    Whoa in latest beta the cloud visual looks better than before. . . . .really love how looks. Now i want more control over the cloud shaping. . . . :D

BATTLEKOT, sqallpl, Ruchir and 2 others like this.
  27. pierred_unity

pierred_unity

Unity Technologies

You must be using another HDRP asset actually. Make sure you tune the one assigned to the Quality level you're using (Project Settings > Quality).

28. pierred_unity

pierred_unity

Unity Technologies

Yes, another thread would be better.

Though, looking at your settings, I see you use an occlusion radius of 302 meters. Keep this value as low as possible, 1m should be more than enough for the sun, otherwise you'll have a ton of false-positive results.

Ruchir likes this.
  29. id0

id0

Glad to report that in 2021.2.0 beta1, clouds finally works for me. (Also other bugs disappeared)
    Thank you.

30. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

@pierred_unity I'm wondering, could you share the examples texture for the cloud?

31. Ruchir

Ruchir

Could you share your cloud volume settings?
    Would love to get the same look

32. Ruchir

Ruchir

Yeah, I increased it to such high value when tuning it in the scene view but when I turned on the gizmos in the game views that's when I noticed the size difference.
    Well, I will create another thread anyway.

33. Ruchir

Ruchir

One small bug with currently how camera preview is shown makes the clouds (or any other temporal effect) look weird:
    upload_2021-6-22_21-17-23.png

This happens in both cases when local mode is turned on or Off

34. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

upload_2021-6-22_23-50-45.png
    This is my current settings

Lex4art and Ruchir like this.
  35. Ruchir

Ruchir

Could you share the texture maps?
    I really have no idea how to create them in an artistic way except using any random noise texture :oops:

36. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

all the texture actually comes builtin with HDRP, so it's already in your project

Ruchir likes this.
  37. Ruchir

Ruchir

Sometimes watching these things just make me cry :confused:

This is running on a 1080ti. The terrain and especially clouds look phenomenal :eek:

andreyefimov2010 likes this.
  38. Ruchir

Ruchir

This issue is still present in the current build.

39. Ruchir

Ruchir

One strange behaviour due to how cloud calculate directional light is that even when sun's angular diameter is big enough to visible below horizon, the clouds get completely dark.

At 0 degree:
    upload_2021-6-24_18-4-44.png

At -0.001 degree (it flickers and looks unstable):
    upload_2021-6-24_18-5-24.png

At -0.1 degree completely dark:
    upload_2021-6-24_18-6-15.png

This problem is magnified when the sun's angular diameter is even bigger.
    Example:
    upload_2021-6-24_18-6-58.png
    At 0.1 degree:
    upload_2021-6-24_18-7-31.png

40. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

i notice this issue too, was hoping a smooth light transition
    is your sky aerosol density are zero?

41. Ruchir

Ruchir

I used the default physically-based sky in this case:
    upload_2021-6-24_22-37-33.png

42. Ruchir

Ruchir

One more thing is that when not in local mode, non-volumetric fog should affect clouds as well.
    When my far clip is around 100 I get this ugly looking curvature effect:
    Low Fog density, 1000m Far clip plane
    upload_2021-6-24_22-39-51.png

To occlude that using fog I have to increase the far clip plane for my camera which invalidates the reason non-local mode clouds were introduced (to optimize far clip distances)
    Low Fog density, 100000m Far clip plane
    upload_2021-6-24_22-41-42.png
    And increase the Fog density in case of big curvature values (Volumetric Fog disabled) ( which also require high far clip plane values to work properly)
    High Fog density, 100000m Far clip plane
    upload_2021-6-24_22-43-1.png
    High Fog density, 1000m Far clip plane
    upload_2021-6-24_22-48-2.png
    TLDR: Normal Fog should affect clouds and the sky even though the far clip is low.

43. Ruchir

Ruchir

Sun Occlusion Bug:

PS: It only happens when rotating the camera, doesn't seem to happen when the camera moves.

44. auzaiffe

auzaiffe

Unity Technologies

The current sun diameter is not used when computing the cloud lighting (no plan for now to make that work), that said there is an issue that I am aware of when the sun gets close to the horizon. I'll fix that

Ruchir and mariandev like this.
  45. Ruchir

Ruchir

One more suggestion I have is that you could allow for baking the non-local volumetric cloud into an HDRI with really high quality (such that the edges are clearly defined and so on and not blurred as they are in real-time mode) this could allow devs to get clouds to their liking on low-end devices as well, or made squeeze out a bit of performance in dynamic clouds are not needed. :)

46. Onigiri

Onigiri

Can't you use recorder for that?

Ruchir likes this.
  47. Ruchir

Ruchir

Can it be used to capture 360 images? :eek:

48. pierred_unity

pierred_unity

Unity Technologies

Once reflection probes are supported, it will be easy to bake them.

49. Ruchir

Ruchir

Actually I tried it and due to temporal nature of clouds and bugs related to rapid camera rotation movement
    This is the result of capture:
    upload_2021-6-28_16-53-45.jpeg
    As you can see it's not really working properly
    My recorder settings:
    upload_2021-6-28_16-51-14.png
    Edit: I inter-changed the width and height properties
    Option for Accumulation for 360 views could solve this imo

Attached Files:

50. FriendNFoe

FriendNFoe

Great work on the clouds, it's looking promising! a couple of requests:

1. Could you remove the cloud bottom ceiling? It's clamped to 0 now, and some of us want to build games around flying where we need the cloud altitude to be negative (so we don't have to shift all assets up in the sky)
    2. Could we feed a color map to all the cloud layers to tint them? this is so we can do "dark" clouds, etc not just one color.
    3. Would it be possible to add actual cloud volume "elements" we can manually place? a big ask but it would be cool
    4. are there any plans to affect the cloud lighting with point lights, etc? to make things like lightning strikes in thunderstorms?

Ruchir likes this.