Search Unity

Feedback Volumetric Clouds

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by SebLazyWizard, Mar 20, 2021.

1. HIBIKI_entertainment

HIBIKI_entertainment

This makes sense as the only other parameters that affect other changes would be volume blending with Scales and the speed multipliers, I was thinking back to just this situation today.

2. KeithStein

KeithStein

The local clouds feature is definitely a requirement for me. It's kind of the whole point of the clouds in my particular case. Your understanding of what I'm doing (trying to do) seems to be correct. I'm moving the camera with the player, then when the player gets too far, I'm teleporting them (and the whole world) back to the origin, and I want to use the Shape Offset on the clouds so that they teleport too.

Did your trick with the Shape Scale stop working for you once you turned on Local Clouds? Let me know, because if it still worked for you in local mode, then I know it's possible and I'm doing something wrong. If it worked for you without local mode, and then stopped working when you went local, then maybe I'm not so lucky.

3. Remy_Unity

Remy_Unity

Unity Technologies

No, the trick did not work with local clouds. I really think that we are missing some sort of "global offset" for the clouds to have this working.

4. Ziddon

Ziddon

Hey, I've been wondering if there are any plans to make the volumetric cloud system work with large spherical planets.

5. HIBIKI_entertainment

HIBIKI_entertainment

Using it in local mode with the [Edit]earth curvature not at 1, might yield some good results, if it fits your project scope.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2023
  6. Ziddon

Ziddon

I don't see the Spherical modifier setting on the "Volumetric Clouds" override. Earth Curvature doesn't seem to be doing it either.
    (I tried updating to unity 2023.1.0b19 and checked Simple/Advanced/Manual and "All additional properties").

The problem is, The clouds generation doesn't follow the camera, and I cannot get them to generate anywhere outside the positive y-direction. So, if I were to move to the bottom side of the planet where everything is upside down, no clouds. Or to the side of the planet, the
    I don't see the Spherical modifier setting on the "Volumetric Clouds" override. Earth Curvature doesn't seem to be doing it either.
    (I tried updating to unity 2023.1.0b19 and checked Simple/Advanced/Manual and "All additional properties").

The problem is, The clouds generation doesn't follow the camera, and I cannot get them to generate anywhere outside the positive y-direction. So, if I were to move to the bottom side of the planet where everything is upside down, no clouds. Or to the side of the planet, the clouds look real funky lol.

7. HIBIKI_entertainment

HIBIKI_entertainment

Hah yes, I see this.
    I corrected the mode name as I wasn't at a computer a the time, thanks for that i was thinking of spherical mode in physically based sky.

Definitely top hemisphere only for local volumetric clouds, I can see here (attached)
    for a full size does actually look like you can fully fly around.
    also non local is pretty quirky too, so i can only assume that was way outta scope.

Cloud layers can produce both hemispheres but they will always be above you so you won't be able to look down through them, if that's your goal.

I wouldn't be the best candidate to try and solve this one, however.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 5, 2023
  8. chap-unity

chap-unity

Unity Technologies

FYI, this is already evolving to try to unify the planetary radius of different effect. The idea is to move this parameter into the visual environment override so that Water Surface, Volumetric Clouds, Volumetric Fog and potentially future environement effect can all use the same parameter. It's not implemented for all yet but just wanted to highlight the end goal.

Don't hesitate if you have any feedback about it :)

9. Jack_Martison

Jack_Martison

Hello, I'd like to mention that, as of 2022 version, cloud layer is still not matching the color of volumetric clouds or absorbing same amount as such

Or it's been fixed, but the difference is still noticeable

10. Ziddon

Ziddon

Thanks for responding. Do you know if the intention is to make the water and clouds spherical, or simply appear to have spherical falloff from y=0?

11. HIBIKI_entertainment

HIBIKI_entertainment

A wonderful idea! Keep it up guys

chap-unity likes this.
  12. HIBIKI_entertainment

HIBIKI_entertainment

There was a fix back along which made a huge improvement for sure.

A couple of more things to consider is your Y values for both vol and layer.

Cloud layers has an altitude value
    Vol clouds has a base altitude and range from that value.

Effectively if you have a low sun with 5-10km range high clouds but a 1km cloud layer, you should see a large difference in colour ( usually sunset orange to lighter)

If you set a lower max height on the vol clouds and a matching base/altitude for vol and layer, they should be fairly similar.

Ambient environment probe and cloud layer LUT would also affect the colours slightly, but you shouldn't see a major difference at similar heights and thickness now.

13. gms9rc

gms9rc

Is there any news on when we will be able to get cloud information for gameplay purposes? On the C# side of things, being able to check the cloud density at a position? For example, this is necessary for flight games if you want a missile's homing capability to diminish inside thicker clouds.

14. HIBIKI_entertainment

HIBIKI_entertainment

I re
    I recall an 80.lv post about a user shooting a beam of light through the clouds and they would scatter and swirl. Perhaps using the non simple modes it could help you achieve additional texture manipulation by code. I'm not sure how the user out that together but I know it was using the cloud vol system

chap-unity likes this.
  15. gms9rc

gms9rc

That's not what I'm looking for. I'm looking for news on what @auzaiffe posted about here 18 months ago:

However I am not sure if they are still working here. Are there any other Unity employees that know about the status of this?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2023
  16. chap-unity

chap-unity

Unity Technologies

I'll revive the topic internally as @auzaiffe is not working on this anymore.
    And there's already another forum post about that I believe :)

is this what you are talking about by any chance ?
    I don't how exactly this was made exactly but it could just be a custom cloud texture that's updated in real time via a shader or else, no need to fetch cloud density at a point for this.

edit: this was apparently used a base for fluid sim

Last edited: Aug 4, 2023
  17. HIBIKI_entertainment

HIBIKI_entertainment

It was yes, good find, I was struggling to find this. Yeah looks like some kind of fluid Sim on the vol clouds.

chap-unity and newguy123 like this.
  18. mgeorgedeveloper

mgeorgedeveloper

I'm really curious about how exactly this was done - manipulating the clouds that way, and especially the twirling effect. Does someone from Unity have ideas / documentation about how to take control of the clouds in this way?

newguy123 likes this.
  19. Ruchir

Ruchir

It is a 2D fluid simulation (because the coverage map is also a 2D texture) and they just map the intersection point of the laser and cloud back to the texture's uv co-ordinate to create the effect you see in the video afaik.

You can easily find resources to create 2D fluid simulations in unity using compute shader and get the output in texture format.

20. lacas8282

lacas8282

Is there any way to colorize one segment/region of the clouds?

Lets say I have a lightning in the night and I need to immediatelly colorize some clouds in the storm. I can do colorize the fog with a point light, but I want the clouds that is the nearest of the lightning ;)

21. chap-unity

chap-unity

Unity Technologies

Sadly no, point lights are currently not supported by Volumetric Clouds.

lacas8282 likes this.
  22. Jack_Martison

Jack_Martison

I remember trying to do the same thing, perhaps you have some workaround?

Edit: Directional light might sound like a good idea, but it's everywhere, not in specific spot
    b.gif

Last edited: Nov 22, 2023
    lacas8282, chap-unity and sqallpl like this.
  23. Kabinet13

Kabinet13

A directional light with a rendering layer that excludes everything other than clouds would probably work

24. chap-unity

chap-unity

Unity Technologies

Indeed, that's what I would do for now using another dir light with shadow casting off.
    Technically, when lightning strikes, you want everything to be lit during a few frames.
    And volumetric clouds cannot really be put in a specific rendering layer anyway.

lacas8282 likes this.
  25. Jack_Martison

Jack_Martison

Wait, Earth Curvature is not a thing anymore? Just noted in a14 version.
    That was my only way to make clouds look pretty

26. chap-unity

chap-unity

Unity Technologies

It's still a thing, it's just, as port of a global clean up of skies / clouds / environment stuff, it has been removed from the volumetric clouds override and now the volumetric clouds override follows directly the radius of the planet defined in the visual environement itself there.

So changing the value here will have the same impact as changing the earth curvature before.

upload_2023-12-1_11-28-49.png

27. Jack_Martison

Jack_Martison

It changes atmospheric scattering and colors :/

28. LAI-LEI

LAI-LEI

Why does volumetric cloud have a line on the screen after upgrading unity2023.3.0a14.
    20231201215713.png
    Same settings in unity2023.3.0a10 without problems.

29. Rowlan

Rowlan

The volumetric clouds in combination with mountain skybox and fog are a nice combination for gaining depth on very small terrain :)

Cedrus Presets 02 - 2023.12.03 - 01.19.29.85.jpg

Ruchir, Gokcan and mariandev like this.
  30. adrien-de-tocqueville

adrien-de-tocqueville

Unity Technologies

Hey thanks for reporting, fix is in review

chap-unity likes this.
  31. adrien-de-tocqueville

adrien-de-tocqueville

Unity Technologies

You can adapt the air/aerosol/ozone distribution parameters to keep a similar look (like divide all of them by 2 if you divide your radius by 2), but i am wondering why you say this is the only way to make them pretty, especially because if you see a difference in the sky color it means you must be using a pretty small earth radius.
    Are you talking about the effect the earth curvature had on lighting, cloud position or something else ? maybe there is a better fix than changing earth radius

32. SebLazyWizard

SebLazyWizard

Is there any chance that my two improvements get implemented someday?
    I think they could be beneficial in general.

Jack_Martison, Kabinet13 and Lymdun like this.
  33. Jack_Martison

Jack_Martison

Well yes, before I could change just cloud radius and not touching earth radius/atmosphere. My absorption and RGB values precisely fine tuned with @SebLazyWizard 's settings

I used extreme earth radius for clouds, so you could have large clouds and not seeing awkward distant clouds, more like artistic setting.
    Screenshot_6.png

Please bring back earth curvature for clouds only

34. adrien-de-tocqueville

adrien-de-tocqueville

Unity Technologies

Planet position is now shared in the visual environment for sky, fog and clouds (doesn't work yet with water as we don't support spherical surfaces anyway)

35. adrien-de-tocqueville

adrien-de-tocqueville

Unity Technologies

Hey, wasn't aware of those but it looks interesting, i'll try to have a look soon

SebLazyWizard likes this.
  36. adrien-de-tocqueville

adrien-de-tocqueville

Unity Technologies

Are you talking about the settings described here https://forum.unity.com/threads/physically-based-sky.765962/page-3#post-7626310 ?
    They shouldn't be needed anymore (or at least they should be adapted) as ozone is included in the model as of 2023.3

37. Jack_Martison

Jack_Martison

Screenshot_61.png
    Screenshot_62.png

Still pretty large gap in my opinion.

Atmospheric scattering kinda solves awkward distant clouds, but still, setting for tuning cloud curvature was needed for artistic purposes

38. iamarugin

iamarugin

Thanks!

39. LumaPxxx

LumaPxxx

Weird, it seems i can't get screen space reflections of the clouds on a transparent shader material in unity2023.1.20f1.
    no matter it's local clouds or not.
    i can only get some clouds reflections when there are objects with opaque shader material behind the clouds.
    did i miss something?

left plane has a opaque material,right plane has a transparent material.

none localclouds:
    notlocalclouds.jpg

localclouds:

localclouds.jpg

40. chap-unity

chap-unity

Unity Technologies

You probably need to enable SSR on transparent on the HDRP asset and Receive SSR Transparent on the material.
    SSR on transparent has an additional cost so it's disabled by default.

41. LumaPxxx

LumaPxxx

Pretty sure i have enabled those options,you can see the reflection from ssr in my picture.
    only opaque material object could have reflection from clouds,but both of transparent material and opaque material object could have screen space reflection from regular mesh objects.

tried it in 2023.1.20f1 and 2022.2.20,both have this problem.
    is this a limitation of volumatric clouds or i have found a bug ?

btw, there is globe reflection probe with clouds so it needs to put a big baked reflection probe with clear sky on those objects to get clearer view.

ssr.jpg

Last edited: Dec 11, 2023
  42. SebLazyWizard

SebLazyWizard

It's actually a limitation;
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/c...nce-screen-space-reflection.html#screen-space

Reflect Sky

43. LumaPxxx

LumaPxxx

I think they mean the transparent object which casts the screen space reflection will have this limitaition, not the transparent object which receives the screen space reflection,right?

i know there won't be any ssr from transparent material objects on opaque or transparent material objects,
    but if opaque material object could receive ssr from clouds why can't transparent objects?

really strange.

44. chap-unity

chap-unity

Unity Technologies

45. mgeorgedeveloper

mgeorgedeveloper

Sorry I didn't read all the details properly, but did you enable depth write on your transparent material that should receive the sky reflection?

46. LumaPxxx

LumaPxxx

Tried, not work.
    I guess it's just some limitations nobody noticed.:(

47. olavrv

olavrv

I have also observed this in 2022.3.15f1

48. LAI-LEI

LAI-LEI

Which version will fix it?
    I found that set Num Primary Steps to the maximum value and the line will disappear. the previous version set to 227 worked fine.
    20231221101309.png
    20231221101319.png

49. chap-unity

chap-unity

Unity Technologies

2023.3.0b1
    hasn't been yet backported to 2023.2, but it will be in the next weeks.

olavrv likes this.
  50. Liakos89

Liakos89

Hello, I m sorry if this issue has been asked again,

but I have the following problem, some objects create a black ghosting effect on the edges where only clouds are behind them. Its specific to Volumetric Clouds, because the issue goes away if I disable them.

The Unity Terrain is also affected by this

Using any dynamic resolution (DLSS etc) will make the artifacts stronger, but I also get affected without any dynamic resolution.
    blackArtifactInHDRPvolClouds.PNG

PS: I see it was mentioned in a previous post, suggested by Unity to reduce the temporal accumulation factor, but it doesnt make any noticable difference, even if set to zero.

PS2: It only happens when I dont have local clouds enabled, and also using the water rendering system

Last edited: Jan 6, 2024