Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Assets Volumetric Clouds (Horizon Zero Dawn Style)

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by fleity, Feb 28, 2017.

1. fleity

fleity

Hey everyone,

with Horizon Zero Dawn being released today I wanted to share something about what I have been working on for the past months: A volumetric cloud rendering system / raymarching shader.

Raymarching is a technique where instead of bouncing off a surface or just querying information about the surface at that particular point from the shader on that surface you extend the ray into this surface and keep sampling it at certain intervals. This shader uses two precomputed 3D tileable texture maps created from shaders which are in the project as well and and three 2D textures (a weather map, a turbulence map and 3 heightgradients) to shape an infinite cloudscape which can be viewed, like through a window, on a polygon surface.

I am not affiliated with Guerilla Games in any way but the project is based on a paper they released for the siggraph 2015.
    http://advances.realtimerendering.com/s2015/
    https://www.guerrilla-games.com/read/the-real-time-volumetric-cloudscapes-of-horizon-zero-dawn

It is not entirely complete yet but it does look like what it's supposed to look like and runs on ~60 fps in 1920x1080 on a gtx 960 depending on the settings. But there is still a bit more to do in terms of optimization and usability. However when it's finished I aim to publish it in the asset store.

hf & enjoy:

the demo uses the Autumn Mountain Asset from the asset store

2. jaberwocky

jaberwocky

Looks really nice. Will the clouds be configurable?

3. Monica_L22

Monica_L22

Hey, it looks really good! Are you going to release soon?