Search Unity

Volcano action

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AaronC, Jul 4, 2006.

1. AaronC

AaronC

Hi
    Hey I 've got an idea, and I want to know if it will work in theory before I get too far into it.
    I have a volcano, and a sound track. At the "crescendo" of the music, The volcano will erupt, and I will change the attributes of the particle emitter so It simulates an eruption.

Fine that should be easy enough.

But could I have a mesh plane above the scene, and at eruption time have it emit particles with coliders, to simulate rocks falling from the sky ? so that they bounce off the landscape?
    Thanks guys who may know the answer...is it abut using the world particle collider? How ...? 8)

2. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

The particles can't be meshes.

However, you can instantiate lots of rock objects with colliders, apply some forces to them and they will happily roll down the hill.

3. AaronC

AaronC

How would I do this? I will have a go at modding the instantiate script with the new Unity release...
    And I would have to add a timedObject aspect to co-incide with the "eruption"

Cheers Nearaz
    AC

4. Jonathan Czeck

Jonathan Czeck

I'd try adding the World Particle Collider component to some rock-like particles and playing with those values. You could make a rock particle spin using the UV animation. The World Particle Collider isn't the most computationally cheap thing in the world, but it is surprisingly fast!

-Jon

5. Morgan

Morgan

If you can picture a volcano inside a gear, I have an eruption planned too. At in least in my case, I'm thinking everything falling from the sky should first come from the crater anyway: launch it up and out, and it will come down again.

For spawning 3D rocks, I would just instantiate them with random out-and-up forces. (But you could spawn them in a plane above with random down-forces, just pick random X and Z coordinates to instantiate them at.)

My situation involves a volcano that looks partly real and partly intentionally toy-like. That may help me get away with some cheesy hacks :)

If you don't need 3D, then World Particle Collider looks very nice--just set the bounce low or things go crazy :) I'd suggest using that for flowing lava, although have yet to test how it looks.