Search Unity

Vogels! - a rehabilitation game

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by _Adriaan, Sep 5, 2010.

1. _Adriaan

_Adriaan

Gameplay footage: http://vimeo.com/12113337

Vogels! is a rehabilitation game that helps patients with a hemiplegia recover.

It was featured at the Cross Care Café and was playable at the Fesival of Games 2010, where it won the Diamond Trohpy, the “Best-of-Show” Award.

The game, or rather the red bird in it, is controlled by a gravity-compensating supportive arm of which its position is tracked and ‘copied’ in-game. For each new game, the patient calibrates the game to fit the level of impairment of the patient. In-game, the patient flies, following a path, through various parts of the world and grabbing birds.

Team KOMODO Games
    Sandra da Cruz Martins - 2D Artist
    Ronald Houtermans - 3D Environment Artist
    Adriaan de Jongh - Game Designer Project Coordinator
    Francis Laclé - Programmer
    Tim Remmers - 3D Character Artist
    Eri Shiroyama - Audio Designer
    Jens van de Water - Game Programmer

More information here...

So... What do you guys think?

~Adriaan

2. gokhanertem

gokhanertem

i really like the idea, i mean the rehabilitation and the game, by this way people will be more likely to enjoy their times spent by the doctor or the professional..
    the graphics are nice i like them too :)

nice work, conguradulations :)

3. capanno

capanno

Knap gedaan! Ek hou van die visuele ontwerp.

4. SEG-Veenstra

SEG-Veenstra

Ik vind vooral de graphics er leuk uitzien!

5. _Adriaan

_Adriaan

Yeah, that was the idea! :D Playtesting also concluded that this was indeed the case.

Thanks for the comments guys!

6. Kokumo

Kokumo

Mis felicitaciones!... excelente trabajo.
    Hay cosas que prefeiro exprearlas en mi idioma por cuestiones de emotividad. Magnífico!

7. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

I think that's awesome, well done! I share the feelings above in that it's cool to see games used in non-traditional areas, like rehab, to make otherwise dull but truly necessary tasks a bit more fun and engaging. Kudos!

8. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Si quisieras ofrecer tus preguntas aquí yo puedo ayudar con la traducción. :)

9. _Adriaan

_Adriaan

Thanks!

10. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

It's good to see a game with a truly constructive purpose. Kudos in all kinds of areas.

Also, forgive my ignorance, but what is hemiplegia? I gather from the game it has something to do with the arm...

11. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

C'mon now, I don't mean to bust chops but there's really no excuse for having to ask that sort of question. :p Step by step:

1. Open browser
    2. Navigate to google.com
    3. Type in "hemiplegia" as your search term and hit the "Google Search" button
    4. Examine results returned, perhaps one like this

That took me about a minute or two from reading your post to hitting submit. :)

12. _Adriaan

_Adriaan

Yeah, so to get it straight, people with a hemiplegia are actually able to train their brain back to a certain level. In that case, another part of the brain will take over the motor functions of the arm. In order to make that happen, you need to practice, a lot. Vogels! hopes to help!

The purpose of rehabilitation for patients with a hemiplegia is to make them 'self-sufficient' again, so that they dont need somebody to take care of them all the time.

13. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

Very well; I am vanquished. I'm totally not used to having so much information literally at my fingertips...

Thanks for the brain-carry, HiggyB!

14. galent

galent

Congradulations! May many, who need it, benefit from your game! (and, no offense, may the future see fewer people who need it :) )

Cheers,

Galen