Search Unity

Vive Pro eye - Unity retina tracking Examples?

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by CloudyVR, Jul 8, 2019.

1. CloudyVR

CloudyVR

Saved up some dough and am ready to purchase a Vive Pro eye (for experimentation).

After searching for "vive pro eye unity example" not much information came up.

Could someone please help me find any examples (web sites) that show how to incorporate eye tracking into Unity + SteamVR?

I was wondering if it's included as part of SteamVR 2.0 asset?
    How do I read in the retina position data (for individual eyes)?
    How do I read in blink data (for individual eyes)?

Please help me understand how difficult this could be. I need to feel confident about dropping $1,500.00!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  2. MariusRu

MariusRu

Look for "VIVE SRanipal SDK"

CloudyVR likes this.
  3. MariusRu

MariusRu

I just tried it myself so let me add some more detail. You need to
    - go to https://hub.vive.com/en-US/profile/material-download
    - download and install VIVE_SRanipalInstaller_1.0.3.0.msi
    - Start a new Unity Project and import SteamVR
    - download and unzip SRanipal_SDK_1.0.1.0_Eye.zip from the website, and import Vive-SRanipal-Unity-Plugin from the folder as custom package into your Unity project

From what I`ve seen, the eye-tracking quality is similar to our old research-grade product which we bought for 20k two years ago. I`m quite impressed.
    If you intend to process the data further, i.e. with regards to regions of interest, check out my repo at Github: https://github.com/mariusrubo/Unity-EyeTracking-RegionsOfInterest

MoVE_VR, Shizola and CloudyVR like this.
  4. CloudyVR

CloudyVR

Wow, Thank you so much for that install guide! I was able to get through all setup and even ran the eyeSample scene in Unity on my Vive pro (not a Vive Pro eye)!!

I ordered the Vive Pro eye kit during lunch, so the hardware is on the way!

Hey just wondering, do you know of any way to somehow "crudely" emulate the eye data so I can start rigging my avatars and getting the basics out of the way before the hardware even arrives?

I know I should be patient, but getting something written beforehand would make delivery day that much sweeter!