Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Vive controllers not showing up in unity?

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by otteris4323, Mar 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. otteris4323

otteris4323

Hi. So recently i've been dabbling in vr developement after getting my htc vive, but I've come across an issue. I followed this tutorial, and when I press play, my controllers get grayed out in the hierarchy, and I can't see them. They are green in the steamVR window, but I just can't see them. So I did some research and came across this, but that was 1 year ago, and doesnt work anymore. I've scoured through the internet but no one seems to have the same issue. I've tried it with countless different Unity versions, but all have the same result.
    My steamvr version in unity is 1.2.3. Someone please help this is driving me insane.

EDIT: Solved. The reply below worked!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    jellyworld likes this.
  2. StickyHoneybuns

StickyHoneybuns

Ok, I didn't click on the links you provided but it is irrelevant. Simply download the SteamVR plugin from the unity asset store. After that look in the interaction folder and then in the core folder, I think. You will find a player prefab. From a new scene, delete the camera and drop the player prefab into the new scene. Now all you have to do is press play and your controllers will show up.

The documentation in the SteamVR plugin explains everything so there is no need for tutorials on this.

3. otteris4323

otteris4323

Dude thank you so much. I'm still a bit new to all this but your thing solved it for me! I owe you my life

StickyHoneybuns likes this.
  4. w-p-capozzi

w-p-capozzi

I tried everything here, and it didn't work. Then it occurred to me to refresh and save the SteamVR Input settings. That's what worked for me. Hopefully it will help someone else. Open the panel by going to the Window pulldown menu, and select SteamVR Input. All I did was hit "Refresh" and then "Save and generate". It worked.

lisabeatrice and Lashloch like this.
  5. Kaiwhitehat

Kaiwhitehat

Can someone help me? I have the same issue. I am using SteamVR in Unity and the Hololens but somehow the controllers don't appear. I already refreshed the SteamVR Input settings but I still have the problem.

6. ericmbradford

ericmbradford

Hello, I'm experiencing the same exact problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

7. ehsan_wwe1

ehsan_wwe1

me too the controller wont show and didn't work in the Vive examples page

kaneWadel32 and Propagant like this.
  8. kaneWadel32

kaneWadel32

hi i have had the same problem and my solution have been going to Windows->SteamVr Input and select "yes" when unity ask you to install action.json file

9. darmova

darmova

I have the same problem. I am using Player prefab and I have generated the actions.json and bindings. Everything was working for a couple of weeks then suddenly controllers wouldn't show up. As far as I can tell, they are not tracking either and there is no controller input. They are tracking in SteamVR home just fine

Skip2123 and Kyloman like this.
  10. darmova

darmova

OK apparently now STEAM has to be running for controllers to show up, not only SteamVR... :(:(:(

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    Donnald_Belen and DavidZobrist like this.
  11. Kyloman

Kyloman

Where is everyone's actions.json and bindings located in their project? My controllers aren't showing up and I think that is because they are in the wrong place.

12. Chieze

Chieze

Same Issue controllers work fine in steam vr home but don't track in Unity

Kshab likes this.
  13. mcmount

mcmount

I had the same problem; no controllers and no movement detection with them with the latest Unity. Upgrading SteamVR and Steam solved this problem. All working again.

14. vivekrawat1

vivekrawat1

For me with version 2019.4.21f I deleted the folder : Library> PackageCache,
    It worked fine after that.
    Hope it will help someone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.