Search Unity

Vive Circular Floor Grid (NOT Chaperone)

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by Nikovich, Nov 1, 2016.

1. Nikovich

Nikovich

Anyone have any information on the circular markings on the floor in the Vive environment? Every bit of research I try to do on it just brings me back to the chaperone. This is NOT the chaperone! Those settings only affect the blue (or otherwise customized color) indication of the play area. The grid I'm talking about is white, composed of circles that expand in diameter, have 10 slices through them that expand outward with the circles, and feature a white arrow pointing north(?). They seem to map the floor and follow the topography of the virtual mountains in the distance.

I would like some way to access these, as they are not visible when my app has an environment, but when taking screenshots or trying to record experiences, they are visible.

2. Nikovich

Nikovich

Looking at the steam OpenVR infrastructure, this seems to be referred to as the grid, and is part of the VR compositor. It doesn't seem to be accessible, at least in terms of removing it, with only the ability to manually turn the default VR environment on and off. Furthermore, it will automatically turn the environment on if the VR camera isn't getting any render info for 10 consistent frames, so the user is not left in an empty void. Since scene or large asset loading triggers this, there doesn't seem to be a way to get around it showing up.

Which sucks.

3. NickAtUnity

NickAtUnity

Unity Technologies

Are you seeing this in the editor or standalone builds? I just pulled down the Viking Village sample which is quite large and can take time to load. I made an initial scene that has a simple script that waits a couple seconds before loading the main scene using SceneManager.LoadSceneAsync:

Code (CSharp):
    1. using System.Collections;
    2. using UnityEngine;
    3. using UnityEngine.SceneManagement;
    5. public class LoadNextScene : MonoBehaviour
    6. {
    7.     IEnumerator Start()
    8.     {
    9.         yield return new WaitForSeconds(2f);
    10.         yield return SceneManager.LoadSceneAsync(1);
    11.     }
    12. }
    When I run this in the editor, I do see the grid show up during the scene transition. However when I run it from a standalone build, I stay in the empty first scene until the next scene finishes loading, and then the transition is seamless with the grid never showing up.

4. Nikovich

Nikovich

I haven't checked it myself, but another dev has confirmed it shows up in both the editor and the build. The asset load takes a few seconds, to the point where we're setting the skybox to screenshots of the environment right before the load, so the VR environment is now the project environment, but we just can't get rid of the floor grid. During this load, the steamVR assumes the headset is unresponsive, but it also shows that if you manually fade the grid in.

5. jarmick

jarmick

Hi! Were any of you ever able to solve this? I want to eliminate the floor grid during scene transitions.
    Thanks.

6. markjanzen88

markjanzen88

Are you talking about the teleport grid on the floor? If so you can turn this off in the Steam VR Teleporting Prefab in Unity.