Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

// Vive as a display device \\

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by Geek88, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Geek88

Geek88

Hey everyone,

Well, just wondering, is it possible to use Vive's headset as a display device with no tracking of any kind , for instance, just to show a video. Thought it won't be a problem but it seems like it's not even possible to use it withough tracking modules connected and running.

Thanks!

2. csofranz

csofranz

It's not difficult to place a plane in front of your HMD and put content on that, and. have it move with your head (giving the Impression that it's a fixed Monitor). And if you use the vive simply as a Display device you can Display 2 relatively low res Images (slightly different for left and right; i wrote a small app to test just this for macOS). The question is why you would want to do that. Also, unless utilizing the Vive as a dumb Monitor, I'm not sure the software sill allow you to display anything unless it tracks your HMD, so although you can display a camera-relative 'static' Image (simply place the Content with your HMD's transform) I'm not sure you can Show it without powering up your lighthouses (although, truth be told, I've never tried it on the PC). When used as a Monitor it's of course usable without tracking, but not really worth the cost as yoou can't enable it short of a reboot.