Search Unity

Vita hanging on Unity splash screen

Discussion in 'PSM' started by youarebritish2, May 3, 2014.

1. youarebritish2

youarebritish2

I've finally managed to get a game building for PSM, but whenever I try to test a build using a non-trivial scene, it hangs on the Unity splash screen. I also don't get anything printed to either the console output on PsmDeviceForVita.exe or on the Publishing Utility for Unity when this is happening. Since it never crashes (even when left on overnight), I don't have any debug information to diagnose the problem.

Any ideas?

2. youarebritish2

youarebritish2

I think I've isolated the problem to the Lux shaders. Strange, since they didn't cause any crashes like some of my other shaders did before I fixed them. How would I go about diagnosing the problem when it gives me no error output?

3. GMM

GMM

Had a similar issue regarding some custom shaders, except it made the initital load VERY long, it would eventually load the project.

4. GrahamReeves

GrahamReeves

Unity Technologies

How did you isolate it down to the Lux shaders? by having a scene with just them in it?

And can you let me know which Lux shaders you're using?

Last edited: May 6, 2014
  5. IanStanbridge

IanStanbridge

The Lux test scene did open on my vita but the shaders did not look correct. There are certainly issues with how the psm beta handles custom shaders at the moment as if you use shader forge all shaders other than those that only use a diffuse input are completely black. Also the loading times for scenes that use custom shaders seem to be incredibly long. In other cases shaders that I wouldn't necessarily expect towork well on vita do. For example the SE Natural Boom and Dirty Lens shaders work perfectly on vita while even an opengles 3 android device has trouble with them.

6. Toad

Toad

I'm tempted to get SE Natural Bloom. What kind of performance are you getting on Vita PSM?

7. IanStanbridge

IanStanbridge

Toad I get about 28 fps on vita with the test scene provided by SE Natural Bloom. I mainly brought it up though because using a full screen image effect like that usually wouldn't be a good idea on mobile. Even the developer advised against using it on mobile for performance reasons. I mainly brought it up to highlight the inconsistency with how the vita appears to deal with compiling shaders at the moment. Based on it's hardware I would assume it would mainly use opengles 2 quality shaders but in some cases opengles 2 shaders don't work and in others shaders that don't even look correct with opengles3 ( As is the case with the bloom ) Work perfectly. It would be great if we had more information or at least some tips on what shaders should be suitable for the vita.

8. youarebritish2

youarebritish2

Yes, I had a scene containing a single object. When its shader was set to Lux Bumped Specular (IIRC), it failed to get past the splash screen even after hours, but after changing the shader to Unity's default Bumped Specular, it worked almost immediately.

9. GMM

GMM

Same problem with Shader Forge Shaders (well, most configurations it would seem).