Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Visualizing XR Controllers

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by AgentEpsilon, Mar 25, 2020.

1. AgentEpsilon

AgentEpsilon

I've been taking my first steps into VR development recently, and I was wondering if there was any standardized methods of visualizing the player's controllers? It seems too difficult to manually align a provided controller model with the exact position of the controller in real life solely based off of a single transform (Tracked Pose Driver).

Is there any preexisting way to create this controller visualization, or are there any tips/tricks people have used for this? From my research OpenVR/SteamVR provides some kind of controller models through its API but I'd prefer to keep the solution platform-agnostic.

If not, then maybe the XR Plugin system should provide a way to do this? Each individual plugin could provide models for the controllers it supports.

Thanks for reading,
    AgentEpsilon

Ben_at_Work and fex9 like this.
  2. ajose-elb

ajose-elb

Hi, anyone found any solution to this. I too have a similar requirement for controller visualization for different devices

3. TzuriTeshuba

TzuriTeshuba

are you looking for controller models or a way to have the controller position/rotation properly reflect reality?

I think there are models on the asset store and you could probably model your own or pay a freelancer to do most of the work.

As far as getting perfect orientation, what i did is peek through the bottom of my headset while maitaining the ability to see the VR screen by rolling my eyes up a little. the images start to blend at that point. id nudge and rotate the object (or attach transform) until the virtual controller and actually controller aligned perfectly.

if you need it for many devices, just find their relative offsets from each other.
    There are probably less caveman-like approaches, but it works.

4. nilagard

nilagard

I don't think there's a "best" way to do this because all the hand models out there will be different. With either the center of their model being in a different space (depends on the artist and their workflow). Best thing would be to manually place the hands where they feel the best and have some sort of script placing them with that offset. Sometimes gamedev can be tedious and require alot of brute force and sometimes it can be a breeze where everything just fits!

5. lalefi

lalefi

Last edited: Mar 10, 2023
  6. ringedproposal

ringedproposal

Hello, I had the identical problem and was wondering if someone has found a workaround. Like you, I need a way to see controllers for many gadgets.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2023