Search Unity

Visualisation - Club

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Zante, May 28, 2009.

1. Zante

Zante

Unity 3D has really helped with things, were it not for this beautiful app we'd still be working with director and/or Second Life. There's so much to learn these days, and that's a good sign!

I've nearly finished with this scene, all that remains to be done is work out an interface for what we have in mind. The scripting was done by a colleague. Character models are from turbosquid.

Made and lightmapped inside sketchup (with the light-up plugin).

Webplayer here:
    http://marunchak.co.uk/unity/mini/

2. fivearchers

fivearchers

Looks pretty good to me, not sure about that bald guy though...looks a bit shifty!

3. Zante

Zante

All mature students are shifty. ;p

Edit: Hehe, I'll take out the hand motion. I just though he was too static without it. I'll exaggerate the other animations to make up for it.

4. fivearchers

fivearchers

I was going by the SS, at work so I wasn't able to actually try the thing!

5. KarelA

KarelA

tried it out and liked it very much. Can you tell us more about this project. What it is for?

EDIT: I visited your web site. I also noticed one project containing an apartment with Vray lighting. It looked so good. Are you doing any more projects with 3dsMax/Vray? I personally think that you can push with Vray lighting near to photorealism.

6. Zante

Zante

Vray does magical things. The only problem with it is that it takes a long time to render anything. The scene in the first post was rendered in about 3 minutes using the light-up plugin for sketchup.

There isn't really an excuse not to use vray for everything we do, it's just that we haven't sorted out the workflow for it yet. We're working on a lot of Unity content at the moment and we're taking the opportunity to experiment with different lightmapping methods. It'd be great if there was something high tier built into the engine, Vray for Unity would be a god send. If we can get access to the render farm here, that'll be a step in the right direction.

To answer your other question, we're undertaking research into how virtual worlds are able to facilitate communication and learning. Currently, most of this work is being done in Second Life. The obvious advantage to Unity is that we have more control over the content and greater flexibility during the development phase(s). We'll be working on an internal social network at some point, we just need to make sure the prototypes are ready for presentation at the next meeting.