Search Unity

Visual Studio's intellisense won't accept UnityEngine namespace

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by FeastSC2, May 2, 2018.

1. FeastSC2

FeastSC2

2 days ago my Visual Studio's intellisense started to not being able to recognize the using UnityEngine; namespace. My game can run, so the scripts compile and there's no real error but Visual Studio doesn't understand that. What can I do to try and fix this intellisense problem?

upload_2018-5-2_20-44-34.png

2. Brathnann

Brathnann

zhiligeng likes this.
  3. FeastSC2

FeastSC2

4. Brathnann

Brathnann

It's not just about new scripts. It can effect all scripts. No way to know if this fix works for you if you don't try it. :)

Not saying it will fix it. But it sounds very similar.

5. FeastSC2

FeastSC2

I tried it but it didn't work out, I chose to reinstall after all and now that it's just finished everything seems to be in working order again. Thanks for trying to help out @Brathnann!

6. FrankL2

FrankL2

I found the answer. UnityEngine namespace targets .NET Framework 4.7.1. After downloading from [https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/thank-you/net471-developer-pack] and installation, I now have working intellisense.

OllieVentures likes this.
  7. asperatology

asperatology

Also, just to add. If your Visual Studio can't find any references to UnityEngine objects, like GameObject, or Application classes, then it's also likely Visual Studio doesn't have your current Unity project opened.

When you start Unity, and load up your scene, but you have not open Visual Studio yet, don't just jump straight to opening a C# script inside Unity editor. That will only open up the C# script inside Visual Studio, and it doesn't open the Unity Visual Studio project at all.

I'm not sure of any better ways to open Visual Studio projects through Unity editor. The only known solution I have is to open the VSPROJ file or the SLN file from your Unity project root directory. It's not like Unreal Engine 4 where you have the option to generate a Visual Studio project, nor is it like Unreal Engine 4 where by double-clicking on the C++ script, UE4 will automatically open the Visual Studio project and open the selected file.

Hello,

Which of the .NET Framework 4.7.1 I need to install? I would prefer not to download standalone developer packs, and would rather go through the Visual Studio installer and have it install 4.7.1 instead, so that it can integrate better with Visual Studio, and let me uninstall 4.7.1 if needed.

Is it the .NET Framework 4.7.1 SDK, or the "targeting pack"? I'm assuming it's the latter, as it sounds like it's a "Developer Pack" thing.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
  8. Brathnann

Brathnann

Double clicking a script in Unity opens the project as well, considering it's exactly how I do it all the time. Also, if you don't have the proj files, the first time you open a script, it will create them for you. This may be tied to the Unity VS tools, but honestly, I can't recall this ever not being the case.

9. asperatology

asperatology

It's no longer doing this for me in Visual Studio 2019 Community. I have to manually open the SLN solution file located in the Unity root project directory, in order for VS 2019 Community to open the Unity project up.

10. Mark2W

Mark2W

I was helped by deleting the ".vs" folder and the "<project name>.sln" file from the project root folder.
    Then I open my project in Unity again and double-clicked on the script from the Unity Editor

anastasiavtes likes this.
  11. anastasiavtes

anastasiavtes

Your solution worked for me, thanks!