Search Unity

Visual Studio with Unity 5?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by gregacuna, Nov 6, 2015.

1. gregacuna

gregacuna

Is the community edition of Visual Studio supposed to come with Unity 5? Is that only with the professional version or also with community? When I installed the community version there was no Visual Studio? Thanks!

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

I've never heard of Visual Studio coming with Unity. It does come with a customized version of MonoDevelop, but I haven't launched it since discovering Script Inspector. Don't be fooled by the name — Script Inspector is a full-fledged code editor, right within Unity. I couldn't live without it!

Ryiah likes this.
  3. gregacuna

gregacuna

Thanks yet again. I read on a few different sites that...

"According to Microsoft, Visual Studio is the new default Unity scripting editor on Windows. “Starting with Unity 5.2, Unity installer on Windows will now offer to install by default the free Visual Studio Community 2015 and Visual Studio 2015 Tools for Unity.” (http://www.winbeta.org/news/visual-studio-new-default-unity-scripting-editor-windows)

Saw some other posts discussing this, but I didn't get it when I installed v. 5.2.2.

I'm checking out Script Inspector now. Appreciate the tip.

4. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Visual Studio should be included in WINDOWS installs. Are you on a MAC? Also, I believe you need to actively select this in the installer, as I believe it is an option.

5. gregacuna

gregacuna

Hey Adam...I'm on Windows (8.1) and when I installed Unity 5.2.2 Personal there wasn't any Visual Studio mention or installed. I've downloaded it and installed it separately, but still haven't connected it to Unity, now installed the plugin. Would prefer to do an all-in-one install so it is the same as other Unity users. Any ideas?

6. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

I'd suggest downloading the installer again, and going thru it step by step. Make sure that at the point where you need to choose whether to install the demo project, documentation and the accompanying script editors that you have visual studio checked. It may be a step in the middle of the install where it's easy to spam the "next" button past the EULA, agreements and location and miss the fact that you also want to add the IDE.