Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Visual Studio Syntax Highlighting not working

Discussion in 'Code Editors & IDEs' started by andres29091, Sep 16, 2014.

1. andres29091

andres29091

Hello everyone, when I open a script in visual studio through unity there is no syntax highlighting for the MonoBehaviour class. Any idea why this happens? I'm using Visual Studio 2013 Pro (Update 3) and Unity Free 4.6

Also, I had an error saying "the application data folder for visual studio could not be created" but after re-installing visual studio the error message disappeared but the error message sound plays every time I open one of the scripts.

I've already tried repairing and re-installing visual studio and running Unity as administrator. Nothing worked so far.

UPDATE: I tried to re-install Unity but neither the syntax highlighting or the intellisense are working.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
    Brendan_A_Wilson likes this.
  2. Wise

Wise

3. TRuoss

TRuoss

what color does the tab have in vs? if it is blue something is not right with the vs project.

Sometimes i have problems that newly created files don´t be recognized by the vs project.

4. andres29091

andres29091

Both the intellisense and the syntax highlighting work properly now. Thank you all. I dont know how I got them to work but the only thing I did was install the UnityVS (Visual Studio tools for Unity), although I noticed that now every time I open a script without importing the UnityVS plugin I get an error in the visual studio and It wont open.

5. Deleted User

Deleted User

I wanted to reopen this Thread as the title fits.
    This morning I updated VS Community to 15.9.1. Since then, newly created script do not receive Syntax highlighting nor auto completion. I have to close and open VS again.

6. bugfinders

bugfinders

Over the weekend like Alexees, i found every time I added a new script I had to restart visual studio, it was incredibly infuriating to the point I wanted to smash hulk style.. I would like to believe its the latest update of VS that has made it so bad but it would be sure good to hear whats gong on and if theres a way to cheer it up

7. sailro

sailro

Microsoft

bugfinders likes this.
  8. Deleted User

Deleted User

@bugfinders Just today, the Update for 15.9.3 came out. I guess that fixed it
    THX @sailro

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2018
  9. bugfinders

bugfinders

@Alexees thanks, I already got the temp fix from Sailro :)