Search Unity

Visual Studio sucks, where's monodevelop??

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by PigChop, Feb 13, 2019.

?

Which do you prefer? (Plz post why)

1. Visual Studio

29 vote(s)
    38.7%
  2. Monodevelop

37 vote(s)
    49.3%
  3. Other

9 vote(s)
    12.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PigChop

PigChop

Hey scripters,

Well ever since the swap over I've been stuck with visual studio and I keep missing mono more and more. When scripting in C# in monodevelop it would predict every word your trying to write, it would list all the possible solutions after pressing a "." after a word and this helped me learn scripting a ton, and refreshed my memory A LOT. But ever since getting Visual Studio slapped in my face randomly I haven't had that level of helpfulness. And yes I know, VS does it sometimes, but not for variables and it likes to cut out a lot and stop helping at all. And yes I know all the haters are gonna say that I should just know how to script by now and shouldn't need that, but hey I'll always enjoy short cuts and tips, I can code without them, but its nice to have. Is there anyway to download the last version of monodevelop from before unity swapped over? Will it cause any issues? And why the switch to, what I feel as, an inferior scripting application? What was wrong with monodevelop? And if theres not a way to get mono back, is there a setting that enables this text prediction to work better or something?

Thanks for any info! Hopefully there's a solution!

-Shnoo of PigChop Gaming

Kurt-Dekker and CloudyVR like this.
  2. WarmedxMints

WarmedxMints

Intellisense has a habit of stopping with unity projects for some reason. I've never bothered looking into why. Closing VS and reopening will fix it.

If you want additional help and tips with coding, Resharper can aid you there.

For me, I would always use VS over monodevelop Hell, I'd rather use notepadd++ than monodevelop.

Bunny83 and Kiwasi like this.
  3. PigChop

PigChop

Is there anyway to fix intellisense from stopping? It only stays on for like a minute of me and then its gone for the rest of my coding. :(

Drives me nuts.

-Shnoo of PigChop Gaming

4. PigChop

PigChop

Like in this pic. It should be completing the word "gameObject" like MonoDevlop did, but instead it sits there thinking it's not a word in the universe :rolleyes:

-Shnoo of PigChop Gaming

Attached Files:

5. lordofduct

lordofduct

First we should determine why it's not working for you. Something could be messed up with your setup because intellisense SHOULD work with Visual Studio.

Lets first check Unity external tools setup. Go to Edit->Preferences->External Tools, what is selected for the external script editor? Is it configured to open by extension, or is it configured to directly point at the Visual Studio version you have?

If that's not it, is your project compiling correctly? In unity are there any errors? Intellisense will sometimes stop working if the project failed to build (usually because it doesn't have the files that describe the api of the project to visual studio since those are created during build).

If still having issues, what version of Visual Studio are you running?

Nigey likes this.
  6. Ryiah

Ryiah

Yes, you can download and install it, but it won't behave like an IDE.

Nothing was strictly wrong with it. There are two major reasons why the change occurred. First, Xamarin was bought out by Microsoft and one of the first changes they made was to stop releasing builds for Windows. Anyone wishing to run the IDE on Windows now has to go through the steps required to build it themselves.

Second, Unity themselves were having to maintain the link between their game engine and the IDE. My understanding from past discussions with developers was that this was not an inexpensive process to support. By comparison the link to Visual Studio is maintained by Microsoft and thus is almost effortless for Unity.

Joe-Censored and Kiwasi like this.
  7. WarmedxMints

WarmedxMints

Found a post on the VS developer forum about it;

First please make sure that you are using VS 15.5.

Then:

- Close both VS and Unity

- Launch VS 2017 Installer

- Click Modify

- Go to the "Individual components" tab

- In the "Code Tools" section, check "Nuget Package Manager"

- Click Modify

Now, reload your project in VS/Unity.

It should solve your build+intellisense issues.

Regards

Sebastien Lebreton [MSFT]

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/solutions/160014/view.html

8. PigChop

PigChop

Thanks for all the replies, I'll give them each a shot until one (hopefully) fixes the issue. I'll post my findings as soon as I can.

-Shnoo of PigChop Gaming

9. Brathnann

Brathnann

@WarmedxMints beat me to it. That fixed it for me on my work computer when we got a new one. Home computer hasn't ever had the issue.

And VS is better than monodevelop in many ways. Monodevelop was a nightmare for me. But, everyone has their preference.

Bunny83 likes this.
  10. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

I actually like the way intellisense performs with VS. On the rare instance I've had a glitch, closing/reopening resolved it. I've always thought it just looked cleaner than Monodevelop, so never really liked it even when it was the default editor. Maybe intellisense doesn't perform well on machines with less CPU power? Don't know, but never been a problem for me.

Bunny83 likes this.
  11. PigChop

PigChop

Lordofduct's solution fix it for me. For anyone wondering I'm using a iMac with a quad i5 3.2ghz running a fully updated unity and VS.

Thanks guys! Now...... BACK TO CODING :cool::p

-Shnoo of PigChop Gaming

12. Ryiah

Ryiah

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  13. ThermalFusion

ThermalFusion

I miss UniSciTe...

14. xVergilx

xVergilx

VS sucks. Use Jetbrains Rider instead.

15. BlackMantis

BlackMantis

Hello, I'm use to VS now, but for a time I was using notepad++ then VSC aka visual studio code. VSC was so nice, till the intellisense broke.

For Visual Studio, If, I want to build a .dll I have to go into the installer and install a huge package with an sql server, just so the software has what ever is needed to build .dlls.
    Visual Studio imo is bulky bloatware, that installs crap all over the place and doesn't want to uninstall it all, though the installs have been cleaner, I'm so waiting for them to fix VSCode.

16. jvo3dc

jvo3dc

Yes, sometimes with 5 minute intervals, but usually it lasts longer. Not a day goes by though where a VS restart is not needed.

On the other hand, refactoring in monodevelop is pretty much the same as search and replace in all files, so I'd rather have some sense of intelli than none.

I've also used notepad++, but the prediction system there is very minimal and can also get in the way.

And xVergilx is right. Rider is easily better than VS and monodevelop. (And notepad++, obviously.)

17. Zero_Xue

Zero_Xue

I had this issue for a while a few months back, i uninstalled VS and re-installed it and so far ive had no issues.

18. TurboNuke

TurboNuke

Running the Restart Omnisharp command in VSCode seems to fix the 'losing intellisense' issue. I have that mapped to a keypress. It's a shame it has to be done, but this has made VSCode really usable for me.

19. CloudyVR

CloudyVR

Has anyone figured out how to get Unity 2019.2.4f1 working with Monodevelop? I hate being forced to use Microsoft products.

Also I agree with OP, it sucks, I think Visualstudio is overburdening and tries to insist too much, like it knows what you want to type, I hate buttkisser IDEs like IntelliSense..

Monodevelop FTW

20. lordofduct

lordofduct

Note by going to Tools->Options, then in that window to the 'Text Editor' section, you can turn off intellisense (granularyly at that) for the various languages supported by Visual Studio.

Second... Monodevelop has intellisense.

As for being forced, you're not forced. It's the default sure... 1) when installing Unity you're ASKED if you want to install Visual Studio so it's elective and 2) you can easily go to Edit->Preferences, and then under 'External Tools' change what editor is opened when you select to edit a code file.

My partner prefers Notepad++, and we've easily configured in all of 5 seconds for it to open Notepad++ as the default editor for his machine.

If you don't know where to find Monodevelop... well, here you go:
    https://www.monodevelop.com/
    (oh, look at that, the image on their website is of intellisense in action)

21. CloudyVR

CloudyVR

Ok then, you're still of no help dude, not that your were even trying to be..

When I attempt to use Monodevelop in Unity 2019.2.4f1 it does not load solutions correctly. Probably all of 5 seconds for you and your "partner" to fix, but I have had no luck.

VS still sucks. It was a bad move to drop Monodevelop support..

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
  22. Vryken

Vryken

You probably don't want to know which company developed the C# programming language then.

xVergilx and lordofduct like this.
  23. lordofduct

lordofduct

You didn't say what your problem was. How can I help if you don't say what your problem was?

In what way does it not load solutions correctly?

24. CloudyVR

CloudyVR

Completely irrelevant.

I was not asking for help.

25. lordofduct

lordofduct

Ok... so then why did you say:
    I think you just want to be salty and hate on Microsoft........ what a weird reason to necro a post.

Bunny83, xVergilx and Vryken like this.
  26. Vryken

Vryken

I'm aware.

27. CloudyVR

CloudyVR

It was a generalization, meaning thanks for voicing your opinion but you're still of no help to anyone.

Anyways, once you said "oh, look at that, the image on their website blah..." you immediately seemed like a jerk, so I didn't really want to discuss the issue with you.
    • The thread title reads: "Visual Studio sucks..." and I agree. How's that me being salty? I genuinly don't like using VS. And I was asking if anyone was successful running Monodevelop in Unity2019.2.4f1.
    • The last post was in Feb 2019, that is not necroing a post.
    • The poll states explicitly: "Which do you prefer? (Plz post why)" so I posted.
    What's your issue dude? There's no Microsoft hate from me. You assume too much.

28. konsic

konsic

Airmouse likes this.
  29. lordofduct

lordofduct

The only reason I put in that "jerk" statement is because you yourself were being snarky. I was snarky in return. If you don't like snark... well... kettle & pot? If you can't recognize your own snark in your first post... well, I don't know what to say about that.

As for the problem you're having... I'm more than happy to assist you. This is why I supplied the general steps to get alternate code editors working through the Unity IDE. Now this may not have been the answer to what YOU need... but you didn't explain what you needed. So the odds of me answering your specific needs are actually slim. Instead I gave a generalized explanation.

Now... if you tell me what version of Monodevelop you're using, and what problem you'r having when you try to launch it, I may be able to assist. Or at least explain why it's not working.

Because here's the thing... Unity dropped support for Monodevelop on purpose. The version of Monodevelop they were using did not support the advanced .net 4.6 features they wanted to include. For years they languished on a very old version of mono and we as a community were clammering for the new features. Unity couldn't do so without either developing their own way of getting that C# compiled and usable, OR pay Xamarian a butt ton of money to get the licensing rights to use their new implementation. So after years of building the toolsets they need and were ready to roll out 4.6 support... well they had to do something about their included IDE. Monodevelop no longer did what they needed. So they transitioned to Visual Studio Community Edition because it's free as well.

Now a days Monodevelop support in general is actually kind of lacking. And that's not a Unity problem. Monodevelop itself has dropped in support on Windows (note @konsic upset about how it's only available in source form and you have to manually build it... or worse find an unofficial build out there and use that instead (don't do that, you're asking for malware if you do)).

I don't know what version of Monodevelop you're using, or heck if you used your own custom built version of it. But these can lead to issues in integrating it with Unity. Because sorry, Unity doesn't directly actively support the tool (since it doesn't have the features it deems necessary, that's not their fault, that's Monodevelop's fault). You may argue that Unity should spend the extra effort supporting it... but hey, this is a FREE product you're using (yes there's a paid version, but you likely don't have it), why should the be spending the extra money to support a tool that stopped supporting them... heck that stopped actively supporting Windows in general.

Now... if you want assistance, let us know. I assure you someone here will happily assist if you explain your situation and do so nicely.

Bunny83, xVergilx and Laperen like this.
  30. Ryiah

Ryiah

Microsoft may not have applied their name to the product directly but it's still very much "Microsoft Mono Develop" now and the only way to avoid Microsoft products while retaining IntelliSense-like behaviour is to either use JetBrains Rider or Script Inspector 3. I recommend the former for experienced programmers and the latter for everyone else.

upload_2019-9-14_10-13-38.png

lordofduct likes this.
  31. t-ley

t-ley

Visual studio is a complete mess 80% to 90% of the time makes a person want to give up on unity ( visual studio is a thumbs down) hopefully unity will have their own like unreal engine a person will waste more time trying to get unity to play nice with visual studio when it works ( all they do is blame unity and unity blames them)

Last edited: Apr 12, 2023
  32. Brathnann

Brathnann

Necroing a post from nearly 4 years ago to complain about a product that has nothing to do with Unity doesn't make sense. You can pick any ide you want if you don't like VS. The other popular choices is Rider or Visual Studio Code. Heck, you can use notepad for all it matters. Use whatever you want. Unity has no reason to waste resources on something that there are already tons of solutions for. I'd much rather Unity focus on their editor then trying to design something that isn't needed.

Boz0r and Bunny83 like this.
  33. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Please don't necro pointlessly. Closed.

Bunny83 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.