Search Unity

Visual Studio - Release x86 Remote Machine keeps getting stuck

Discussion in 'Code Editors & IDEs' started by jchallenorstaffs, Jul 16, 2020.

1. jchallenorstaffs

jchallenorstaffs

Hello all,

I apologise if I've posted this in the wrong location or if I provide insufficient information. I really don't understand a lot of this side of development.

I'm building a HoloLens application in Unity as part of my PhD project. I can connect the Unity Editor to the HoloLens and playtest everything without any issues. Unfortunately if I build the project and try to deploy it inside Visual Studio, it's getting stuck and I'm really not sure what's going on.

If you're unacquainted with the HoloLens, to make your project appear as an independent application on the device (without being connected to your PC) you have to build your Unity Project, set configuration to Release x86 Remote Machine (With the HoloLens IP) inside Vistual Studio then run it. After that it will appear on your HoloLens program list. I've done this several times with different Unity projects before and I've never had issue with it until the last few days.

For some reason my latest Unity Project is getting stuck and I can't work out what's going on. This is a screenshot of my entire Visual Studio:
    (External link https://i.imgur .com/QMTqKQQ.png without the space if you can't see the full image)

It doesn't freeze, it doesn't crash or give me an error of any kind, it eventually reaches a point where it just stops doing anything at all. I can cancel the build but it doesn't give me any information about what's happening. It's not consistent either, it doesn't get stuck on the same part twice. Sometimes it will be file.cpp or debug.cpp (etc).

I don't know what to do here. Has anyone else experienced your build just stopping like this without question? Failing that, does anyone have any advice on how I should proceed from here? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated because I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm way in over my head here!

Thank you for your time,

~J