Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug Visual Studio Quick Info covers screen and makes it unusable for certain classes in New Input System

Discussion in 'Code Editors & IDEs' started by sand_lantern, Feb 20, 2024.

1. sand_lantern

sand_lantern

As the title says, the Quick Info has serious problems with certain classes. I guess it's debatable if it's a problem with the quick info feature itself (in these egregious cases, maybe it should have a max height and scroll?), or with the comments on some specific classes. Here is an example of what I'm trying to say.

Take a look at this snippet:
    upload_2024-2-20_15-5-41.png

When I try to hover over InputDevice this happens:
    upload_2024-2-20_15-6-34.png

Notice that `InputDevice` is totally covered and I'm unable to click on it due to the "Quick Info" getting in the way. I can't even read the whole thing because it overflows the top and bottom of my monitor.

This is a very annoying behavior that is specific to a few classes in the New Input System as far as I've seen.
    `InputAction` also is facing this to a lesser extend. `PlayerInput` is also over the top as well.

I appreciate the devs are trying to be helpful with robust examples, but surely it's clear that there is a better way to do this, right? Am I the only one who has been annoyed by this?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2024
  2. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

One more Visual Studio fail. :(

Rider does not have this issue. It really is just a matter of how thoughtful the IDE is being developed. Any user provided text might be too long, so as developer you expect that and cap that string and insert a „more…“ indicator for good measure. It‘s baffling to me how little care for the little things goes into VS, it‘s not rocket science.

van800 likes this.
  3. sailro

sailro

Microsoft

Could you please use `Send Feedback / Report a problem` in VS, so we can track this ?

Thank you!

sand_lantern likes this.