Search Unity

VIsual Studio Question - Braces but no Semicolon autocomplete?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by outtoplay, May 21, 2015.

1. outtoplay

outtoplay

I usually work on a mac, but installed Visual Studio Community 2013 to bone up on my C3 skills. After getting oriented the first thing I noticed was Braces auto-complete, but apparently no such joy for semicolons at the end of lines. It's seems there used to be a keycombo in previous releases, but doesn't work in 2013. Can say a lot of things about Monodevelop, but getting those braces & semicolons was mighty handy.

Is there a handy way to do this that I've not discovered yet?

Thanks,
    B.

2. StarManta

StarManta

This question would probably be better served in the External Tools subforum.

3. outtoplay

outtoplay

Seemed pretty 'scriptish' to me, but no worries.

4. jc_lvngstn

jc_lvngstn

What boggels my mind is, the vast majority of my lines of code don't take up more than one line. I think Visual Basic had it right here...if you want to have multiline statements, split them with a special characther, otherwise just hit enter.

I wish C# would allow this behavior. I'm tired unnecessary semicolons.

5. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

Auto closing braces annoy the crap outta me!

auto semicolons would be worse.

LeftyRighty, lordofduct and RockoDyne like this.
  6. outtoplay

outtoplay

so no semicolons? In mono, say you're typing Debug.Log("blah") by the time I type the 'h' in blah, if I type ';' and hit return it intelligently put the semicolon at the end of the line, even when you type it within the ()s... This behavior I like.

Prosto_Lyubo likes this.
  7. lordofduct

lordofduct

Totally agree!

It's because C# takes inspiration from Java and C++ (hence the name), which takes inspiration from C, which took inspiration from B... B took inspiration from BCPL, and is the language that brought in the semi-colons, which honestly if you look at B compare to BCPL, the semi-colons actually made things more readable. Consider a time when writing code on a screen not measured in pixels, but in letters... a line end could easily be 3 lines on screen.

The semi-colon has been kept around... mostly out of tradition. It just doesn't feel like C with out it... all my BASIC programmer buddies even refer to C-like languages "curly code" in reference the curly brackets and wiggly semi-colons.

If you're tired of unnecessary semicolons, go code in a language that doesn't have them. VB, python, ruby, even boo (which kind of sort of is still supported in unity 4... but not really) are all semi-colonless languages.

MonoDevelop exists for Windows, OSX, and Linux.

Not sure why you need VS2013 to bone up on C# (I'm assuming you meant C# when you typed C3).

Personally I like my auto-complete to be optional. I type, the member name appears, but it doesn't get placed in unless I hit tab. This I like.

To often in MonoDevelop I'm fighting with the auto-complete to NOT put things in.

VS2013 actually introduced various keyword auto-complete, when you write linq in parens for instance... it drives me nuts!

For instance I'll want to write something like this:

Code (csharp):
    2. var arr = (from o in someColl where ... select o).ToArray();
    But once I get to 'from' and press space, it turns 'from' into something like:

Code (csharp):
    2. var arr = (DefaultFromSelfAttribute...
    All because I happen to have a type with the word 'from' in it, and the paren makes the auto-complete THINK I'm talking about that type, rather than the linq statement, even though the type starts with Default, and I typed FROM.

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  8. outtoplay

outtoplay

Riddle - How is a forum thread like a family holiday? Folk offer their thoughts on one's question, but not an actual answer. It's like Thanksgiving dinner at my house. ;)

9. LeftyRighty

LeftyRighty

by default no (for reasons above) but I'm sure there are going to be extensions that would help...

10. KelsoMRK

KelsoMRK

This drives me crazy as well. It'll do it in lamda expressions too - even for variables that are already declared.

11. outtoplay

outtoplay

@LeftyRighty Thanks, simple enough.
    @lordofduct Appreciate the info. Since I've heard such good things about VS, figured if I was going to concentrate on just C#, I'd give it a go. Mono will work for now.

12. David-Hernan

David-Hernan

Shift + Enter

I am using Visual Studio Community 2015.
    At any column in a line, press Shift + Enter, a semicolon and a return will be added ad the end of the line.
    In some cases, if the statement is not valid, only a return will be added.

13. dani-unity-dev

dani-unity-dev

Nice, never heard of it. But isn't it actually easier to just type the semicolon?

14. lordofduct

lordofduct

Not if you're not at the end of the line...

but then of course... still really rare.

I've been using Visual Studio for a very long time and have never used that.

15. Baste

Baste

We've got boo code running in Unity 5 with no problem. And not just Monobehaviours in boo, but dark magic macro-based boo.

Language is dead as hell, though (main maintainer's just gone), but it works in Unity. Since it's a .NET language, it should always be possible to make work, but Unity 5 still comes with the compiler built-in.

16. dani-unity-dev

dani-unity-dev

Same here but your are right about the fact that it could be of some use if you are not at the end of a line.

17. lordofduct

lordofduct

That's an old post, before I had unity 5.

But in it I was referring to support, in the unity offers support for it, sense. Like documentation and the various things that come with 'supporting a product'.

18. Baste

Baste

This forum is less a Unity forum and more a necromancer club.

lordofduct and KelsoMRK like this.