Search Unity

Visual Studio on Mac is the worst

Discussion in 'Code Editors & IDEs' started by CoCoNutti, May 19, 2018.

1. CoCoNutti

CoCoNutti

Hi,
    Is there any way with Unity 2018 that I can still use MonoDevelop (or can someone advise of another solution) instead of Visual Studio? It runs terribly on mac - lagging/constantly slow, fatal crashes at least once a day, the VS update corrupts VS and I have to reinstall again from Unity package (have tried this multiple times) Hey, it's Microsoft - so not surprising it's shocking.

It's holding up my work performance, so any advise would be great.
    Thank you

2. haymaker

haymaker

I use VSCode. It works way better for me. Much faster. They even have a guide on how to use it with unity: https://code.visualstudio.com/docs/other/unity

3. orb

orb

VSCode all the way for me. My main three languages are well-supported, and many more.

4. CoCoNutti

CoCoNutti

I'd be happy if it didn't crash every day and I didn't have to reload it every 1/2 hour.
    I can't even updated it - it's useless on Mac.

5. leveelunitydev

leveelunitydev

I have to agree. I love VS and I have been using it for years, but VS on mac + Unity.... just terrible. Unusable. They keep killing each other, debugging is pretty much a no go, and now there is no alternative (maybe VS code works, but can I put a breakpoint in vscode?)

fdurupinar likes this.
  6. orb

orb

7. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

try rider if you want the perfect solution on mac

xVergilx and CoCoNutti like this.
  8. SkyFire101

SkyFire101

What about script inspector?

juan-jo and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  9. CoCoNutti

CoCoNutti

Thanks will take a look at this. I'm pulling my hair out here.

10. SunnyChow

SunnyChow

i link the new Unity to old Unity's MonoDevelop

11. monark

monark

How do you stop VS freezing constantly on a Mac, like every time you click on it, or try and change one single word?
    I used Visual Studio Code for a while but now that now refuses to save anything or even close without forcing it.
    Microsoft tools on a Mac suck hard.

12. RoughSpaghetti3211

RoughSpaghetti3211

Was not a fan when I first switch to VS but now I’m a big fan. I know I had issues first getting it to work but it absolutely worth the effort.

13. leveelunitydev

leveelunitydev

Yeah, same problem here... It always takes few seconds to respond, and that is freaking annoying... And it is not that I have like an old macbook or something, it is 2018 model!

14. Ryiah

Ryiah

You know what's ironic about this whole thread? Visual Studio for Mac is Mono Develop. When Microsoft acquired Xamarin they renamed Xamarin Studio to Visual Studio for Mac and Xamarin Studio itself was just the commercial release of Mono Develop.

Reference link below.

https://adtmag.com/articles/2017/05/10/vs-for-mac.aspx

15. andersemil

andersemil

VS for mac is better today than it was just a year ago, a lot has improved. The only big annoyance i have now is the huge delays/ui lockups whenever unity re-exports the solution and project files ... i wish unity and/or VS would be better at detecting changes and not reloading everything every time.

arfish and CoCoNutti like this.
  16. leveelunitydev

leveelunitydev

Whenever I add new script I have to close the solution and open it again because all goes haywire and "int" is not defined....
    Depending on the project it can even happen if I double-click the log entry in the console: the solution breaks down in vs and I need to reopen it... quite useful tool....

17. bartofzo

bartofzo

It's a nightmare. I have a fairly big project with 100+ source files and when renaming a file I have to restart Visual Studio or all hell breaks loose. That process alone can sometimes take a few minutes (!). Total workflow killer. Not to mention the numerous bugs I encounter every day. If it would just work as smoothly as VS Code it would be my favourite editor by far, I really like the clean design.

18. RoughSpaghetti3211

RoughSpaghetti3211

Yea it has it ups and downs on mac, I generally have more luck with it if I keep it updated

19. CoCoNutti

CoCoNutti

One year on, are you still using VSCode?

Still having issues with VS after switching back to it. Either that or my laptop can no longer handle Unity 2019 + Visual Studio (only 8 gigs of ram - I would upgrade but Apple damn well WELDED THE MEMORY to the board, didn't they) ><>< >< ><

20. bartofzo

bartofzo

Funny you mention that. I generally have the feeling that with each update it gets more buggy.

NortalNeis likes this.
  21. NortalNeis

NortalNeis

I'm using Microsoft's Xamarin Studio for Mac instead Visual Studio and it works perfectly. Looks like VS, but has functionality like old MonoDevelop.