Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Visual Studio on Mac asked to update then broke

Discussion in 'Code Editors & IDEs' started by makeitfun, Apr 21, 2018.

1. makeitfun

makeitfun

This morning, launched Visual Studio from Unity which prompted a new Visual Studio upgrade request.
    After completing, Visual Studio wouldn't open, saying application was damaged.

Downloaded Visual Studio Code and hooked it back up to Unity in Preferences --> External Tools.
    Hope this helps someone ready to code on deadline today!

thebitmaster and Gametyme like this.
  2. satorulogic

satorulogic

My Visual Studio was also damaged, now whenever I double clicked on a script, it was opened with my default text editor, which was MacVim.

3. newjerseyrunner

newjerseyrunner

What happens if you Ctrl+click and Open With Visual Studios?

4. GustavoCarvalho

GustavoCarvalho

The same happened to me, that is why I don't update Microsoft software.

If you open (right click -> show package contents) the broken visual studio.app you will find a Visual Studio (old).app in there. Just move it out to Applications and use it instead of the broken one.

SeductiveMango and Gametyme like this.
  5. Jean-Fabre

Jean-Fabre

Same for me....

the problem is that it seems you need to update for 2018 to work and find all your packages from the package manager...

any hints on how to solve this appreciated...

Bye,

Jean

6. thebitmaster

thebitmaster

I did the Show Contents thing, pulled out the (Old) version, deleted the new one, and replaced it with the old. Then I ran it directly (not from Unity) and executed the updated from there. VS comes up now, but it doesn't auto-open the script I clicked on.

7. thebitmaster

thebitmaster

After re-linking in Unity Preferences under External Tools, killing Unity and VS, then re-launching Unity, it now correctly open the file I clicked on.

8. burcsade

burcsade

Same happened here. It has been many years I've been (happily) away from Microsoft products and started using VS for Unity's sake. Tried updating and it is broken now... :clap:

9. Catacomber

Catacomber

Same happened here as well. It means Unity is useless on Mac unless I roll back to Unity 5.7. I was using the latest vetsion of Unity.

10. demonpants

demonpants

These are the errors that appear in the Console:

Apr 13 21:39:49 Elis-MBP Visual Studio Update[11999]: DEPRECATED USE in libdispatch client: dispatch source activated with no event handler set; set a breakpoint on _dispatch_bug_deprecated to debug
    Apr 13 21:40:22 Elis-MBP Visual Studio Update[11999]: assertion failed: 18E226: libxpc.dylib + 91033 [49138829-09C8-355C-B558-97E070B84EC5]: 0x89

You can also fix this with the Unity installer – just reinstall only Visual Studio afterwards to restore it.