Search Unity

Visual Studio License and Unity License

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thiago-Crawford, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Thiago-Crawford

Thiago-Crawford

Hi,

wasn't sure where to post this, but I have a general question regarding large enterprises. Basically they subscribe to Unity Pro (because revenue is over 200,000), does that also include the right to use Visual Studio commercially?

Or does the company also have to purchase the visual studio license or subscription?

Final Cost = Unity 125 + VS $$$

Thanks

2. zoran404

zoran404

Visual Studio is in no way associated to Unity, nor do you need it to use Unity.

As a matter of fact the default way of writing code for Unity is in MonoDevelop.

But you are free to use any other IDE or text editor (like Sublime text or Notepad++).

Visual Studio just happens to be a common tool for many Unity developers since that's the most popular IDE for C#.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
  3. Thiago-Crawford

Thiago-Crawford

Thanks for the reply, I use to use MonoDevelop before as well but switched to VS a while back and generally prefer it.

So that's why I wanted to know, if I were to use it in a company which does not meet the VS Community edition requirements, do i need to also purchase or subscribe to VS as well?

4. zoran404

zoran404

Whether you need to purchase VS or not has nothing to do with Unity or it's license.
    Just because you are required to purchase Unity's subscription does not mean you have to purchase VS as well.
    You should consult the license agreement of VS instead.

5. Ryiah

Ryiah

Yes. It's plainly stated on the bottom of the front page for Visual Studio Community who is allowed to use it but you can read the license agreement if you need further information.

https://www.visualstudio.com/vs/community/
    https://www.visualstudio.com/license-terms/mt171547/

Visual Studio's pricing information is available at the link below.

https://www.visualstudio.com/vs/pricing/

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
    angrypenguin likes this.
  6. Thiago-Crawford

Thiago-Crawford

It would be nice if Unity and Microsoft had some kind of special agreement where a Pro unity subscription also includes a subscription for Visual Studio as well. That is what I was hoping for anyway.

7. MV10

MV10

Does Unity track and publish stats for this or are you just guessing? It seems unlikely to me that anybody doing serious work wouldn't use VS if they're also developing on Windows machines. VS is really in a class by itself when it comes to IDEs (in general, not just the Unity favorites).

8. Ostwind

Ostwind

Most of those who are not eligible to use the Community version have the software from MSDN.

Ryiah likes this.
  9. zoran404

zoran404

I did not look into any official statistics. I'm basing that on the fact that Unity ships it along with the editor (or used before starting to push VS). Also I know a bunch of people who use MonoDevelop or at least used to use it at the time.
    I never used MonoDevelop (expect to try it out), so I wouldn't know if the status of Unity changed regarding it.

10. passerbycmc

passerbycmc

I find startups can easily get visual studio pro for free, via bizspark and most companies of a decent size already have access to it via their MSDN accounts. Also if its a problem, even know it is not as good their is mono develop which is distributed with Unity under the same terms as unity.

angrypenguin and Ryiah like this.
  11. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Used to be. At least when talking about Windows, it really isn't anymore. I'd personally not recommend using MonoDevelop on Windows at all.