Search Unity

Feedback Visual Studio for Mac Issues.

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by MrPaparoz, Nov 30, 2020.

1. MrPaparoz

MrPaparoz

Hello,
    I've been using VS for Mac with macOS Big Sur for a while now. Visual Studio Editor package is latest (v2.0.5).
    As usual, you close scripts, create and open new ones etc. During this operations,
    I often experience:
    • VS doesn't open new script window with double click.
    • If VS is closed, newly launched VS doesn't open new script with double click (when opened closed scripts are there, though.)
    • New script creation while VS is open, VS is losing Unity assemblies.
    It was like this even before BigSur or Visual Studio Editor package.

Note: VS Code doesn't have this issues, like at all. I don't have any problems using it, still would like to use Visual Studio not Code.

ROBYER1 likes this.
  2. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

You are not alone with this, I am surprised more people are not talking about this issue as it happens to me on the daily while working on a mac with Unity 2020 versions + Visual Studio 2019 and the package for Visual Studio (not VS Code). VS Code works fine of course but I would rather be using Visual Studio as the VS Code Unity Debugger often breaks and isn't officially developed or supported by Unity, as well as Intellisense breaking with mono etc and a very dodgy setup process for VS Code on mac.

It's often what I get is while working, I will double click on a script and it will not open in Visual Studio, Visual Studio will just open with the last script I edited and won't open anything new.
    I have been trying to discuss this here too: https://forum.unity.com/threads/multiple-instance-of-visual-studio.974205/#post-6997448

3. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

I just went absolutely ham on investigating this today and it was simple to reproduce so I am reporting it to Microsoft now

I also highlighted another issue - On Mac the behaviour of Visual Studio with Unity is quite different to windows as with windows if I open 2 Unity Projects, I can have two Visual Studio instances. On Mac, I seem to only be able to have one instance of Visual studio so when editing scripts in multiple open unity projects, visual studio for mac sort of open/close/resets itself between switching between those 2 projects

https://forum.unity.com/threads/multiple-instance-of-visual-studio.974205/#post-7024444

4. IndieFist

IndieFist

June 2059, we sill with same problem

ROBYER1 likes this.
  5. Have you tried the usual trick on that scrap metal?
    https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/run-multiple-copies-app-mac/ (look for the option for "advanced" user... [well...])
    (I can't try, luckily I freed myself from mac many years ago exactly because of this kind of idiotic "save the users from themselves even if it doesn't make any sense")