Search Unity

Visual Studio for Mac - Freeze/Lag on Save

Discussion in 'Code Editors & IDEs' started by Arthur-LVGameDev, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Arthur-LVGameDev

Arthur-LVGameDev

Hi,

Unlike others here, I actually love VS for Mac -- it's essentially just MonoDevelop but it's getting updates & doesn't crash, which were really my only complaints w/ MonoDevelop. Unfortunately, I have one major issue / complaint -- and I'm hoping someone might be able to help.

Everything is fine when I first open Unity & have VS for Mac running. Double-clicking in console opens in VS, etc -- all works great. Saving files works great, is snappy / immediate.

A few minutes later, all the sudden any "Save" command in VS results in the macOS "beachball" appearing for between 3 to 8 seconds. This is on the latest non-preview "VS for Mac" edition, installed via Unity Hub and continually updated through the native VS application update prompts.

Today I downloaded the '2019 Preview' to check it out, and really I was just hoping the CMD+S issue might have been resolved -- it's so severely frustrating & draining. :( I was in laughable disbelief when I found that the issue persists -- and it's actually worse in the preview edition, and I'm quickly closing in on around 10+ seconds of beachball-induced rage every time I run a CMD+S within VS.

Perhaps obviously, I run CMD+S / save commands quite a bit, so I feel like I'm aging before my very keystrokes even hit my beloved keyboard.

Anyone have any ideas, or fixes, or workarounds for this? I'd be most grateful if so! =D

2. sailro

sailro

Microsoft

Hello @Arthur-LVGameDev, could you try to disable "Refresh Unity's AssetDatabase on save", in Options\Tools for Unity to see if it impacts your issue?

Thank you and best regards
    Sebastien Lebreton [MSFT]

3. Arthur-LVGameDev

Arthur-LVGameDev

Ah sorry, didn't see your response here until today.

I have that option disabled already, in an effort to stop the issue from happening. It unfortunately does not seem to have any impact on the issue at all.

Per your request over on the VS bug reporter tool, and sending over the "Debug UI Hangs" output via email too. :)

Ty!

4. sailro

sailro

Microsoft

Hello,

A fix for this issue has been internally implemented and is being prepared for release. We'll update you once it becomes available for download.

Regards
    Sebastien Lebreton

5. sailro

sailro

Microsoft

6. calvin_unity882

calvin_unity882

I'm still getting this issue using the 2.0.3.0 version of the MonoDevelop Unity plugin. I had to revert back to this linked version.

7. saud_ahmed020

saud_ahmed020

Hi @sailro I have VS 8.0.8 build 2 version. On every save (Command+S) visual studio stuck for 3-5 seconds even when I write/edit any single line of code. This issue wasting my most of the time. Kindly resolve my problem.
    Thanks

8. sailro

sailro

Microsoft

Hello, the fix is included with VS 8.1, that should be available soon

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    saud_ahmed020 likes this.
  9. carldevelopsforcoffee

carldevelopsforcoffee

Still lags a lot on VS 8.1
    The lag doesn't happen on Xamarin Studio or VSCode

10. Fillmore

Fillmore

Still happening on VS for Mac 8.1.2 (build 2) with Unity 2018.4.2f1

The problem is that Unity never used to refresh and compile scripts until you gave the program focus. It now refreshes in the background while you're on VS.

11. nikowiss

nikowiss

Seems to be solved with VS for Mac 8.1.3 (build 19)

12. Trungdv

Trungdv

This bug made me crazy until now, but today after I updated Visual Studio for Mac 8.2.2 (build 21), it has been solved. Confirmed on Unity 2018.4.2f1

13. kashif789us

kashif789us

Facing same problem on Visual Studio 8.2.5 (build 5) and Unity 2019.2.3f1. Even uninstalled and installed visual studio again but still the same problem.

14. gideonnimako

gideonnimako

I am have the same issue on Visual Studio 8.2.5. Really slowing down progress on my development projects. Anyone have any ideas or workaround, please help!!