Search Unity

Visual Studio didn't used to do this:

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Brian-Washechek, Mar 23, 2020.

1. Brian-Washechek

Brian-Washechek

Visual Studio doesn't want to load. To forum 3-23-2020.png When I try to compile at first I start with the first screen. Next it gives me the middle screen then it waits until I get all exited because I think it's going to compile... But after a few seconds it gives me the bottom screen.

It didn't used to do this. Why doesn't Visual Studio like me?

2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

I don't understand what problem you're hitting. You say "Visual studio doesn't want to load" but then you show it loaded up in your second image. What is the actual problem you're hitting? Your 3 images just appear to show you switching from the editor to VS and back to the editor. That is normal code editing workflow, so I don't see what prompted this thread. Please explain.

3. Brian-Washechek

Brian-Washechek

Well it doesn't run like it used to: 3-26-2020.png Then it waits for a few seconds and then the program closes.

3-26-2020 - 2.png
    This is a screenshot of the old way.

4. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

You put up screen shots of two entirely different programs. Your second screen shot isn't even Visual Studio, so of course they will have some differences (second is of MonoDevelop).

Is there an actual problem, or were you just surprised VS behaves a bit differently than MonoDevelop?

5. Brian-Washechek

Brian-Washechek

Visual Studio closes pretty much instantly when I start. I'm pretty much certain that MonoDevelop is better. Switching would solve many future problems. How do I switch?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  6. Brian-Washechek

Brian-Washechek

I forgot my problem. I'm installing MonoDevelop right now to run into it again.

Hold on...

7. Brian-Washechek

Brian-Washechek

Oh yeah, it does not use MonoDevelop as my editor. It opens Visual Studio as my editor. Do you have any idea how I tell my computer that I want to use MonoDevelop?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  8. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

MonoDevelop support ended for Unity in 2018.1.0. Supposedly it is still possible to use with Unity, but you're going to largely be on your own getting it to function. Or you can switch back to Unity 2017.4.x which still supports and probably still installs MonoDevelop.

The below article explains why this was done, but the short version is Unity was adding .net 4.x support but MonoDevelop didn't support that at the time.
    https://blogs.unity3d.com/2018/01/0...r-monodevelop-unity-starting-in-unity-2018-1/

9. Brian-Washechek

Brian-Washechek

I can't use MonoDevelop and currently Visual Studio crashes..

Can you tell me how I can keep Visual Studio from crashing? It opens for a split second (just long enough to get Brian's hopes up), then it disappears. No error warnings or anything like that, it just disappears.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  10. Brian-Washechek

Brian-Washechek

Do you have a link to a movie recording tool? I ask because I'd like to record a video of this so you can see.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020