Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Visual Studio Community 2017 Problems?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by CelticKnight, Mar 24, 2018.

1. CelticKnight

CelticKnight

Hi All,

I haven't been using Unity at all for quite some time. Anyway today I went at installed the latest Version of Unity 5 - ver 5.6.1 and was looking to work on all older project of mine.

I clicked on one of the scripts to remember what I doing had and Visual Studio Community 2017 came up, so, Ok, they have added this as their default IDE, right, I can do that, it shouldn't be too difficult.

Then I was told I had to log in, or create an account, right, I can do that it shouldn't be too difficult.
    So, I created an account, then it told me on the right hand side I had only a 30 day trial license??? Hmmm. I'll have to look into that :confused::confused::confused:.

But on the left it told me I had to log-in to my account, so, I tried that and got a "script error" in a pop-up dialog- what the hell is this, a script error for the default editor in Unity. The only recourse after this was to "Exit Visual Studio", not a terribly good advertisement for this Unity/Microsoft partnership. Oh yes I'm a big fan of Microsoft :mad:.

So, can anyone tell me how I might go about editing my scripts? Is there anyway to get Vs Community 2017 to run? Without a 30 day trial period? Should I get/download Monodevelop? If so, how do I make MonoDevelop the default IDE?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Regards.