Search Unity

Visual Studio Code Intellisense doesn't work with Unity 2018

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by CrowbarSka, Jul 30, 2018.

1. CrowbarSka

CrowbarSka

Hello!

I have this problem only with Unity 2018.2.0f2.
    I'm working on other projects in Unity 2017.4.5f1 and the problem does not exist there.

Whenever I open Visual Studio Code, Intellisense does not work at all, so the autocomplete doesn't work, and VS Code doesn't do stuff like automatically formatting code layout.

Can anyone please help?

I've tried:
    • Uninstalling & reinstalling VS Code.
    • Reinstalling VS Code plugins.
    • Checking/resetting Unity's script editor setting in Edit > Preferences > External Tools.

EDIT! - the solution that worked for me is in this post.
    I simply had to install .NET Framework 4.7.1.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
    DOUDOUNE444, mateomogar, PHL1 and 5 others like this.
  2. Daevin

Daevin

I'm having the same issue, and I'm getting this in the VSCode Output (seemingly related to the OmniSharp extension, but don't know if the fault lays in that or elsewhere):

[fail]: OmniSharp.MSBuild.ProjectLoader
    The reference assemblies for framework ".NETFramework,Version=v4.7.1" were not found. To resolve this, install the SDK or Targeting Pack for this framework version or retarget your application to a version of the framework for which you have the SDK or Targeting Pack installed. Note that assemblies will be resolved from the Global Assembly Cache (GAC) and will be used in place of reference assemblies. Therefore your assembly may not be correctly targeted for the framework you intend.
    [warn]: OmniSharp.MSBuild.ProjectManager
    Failed to load project file 'f:\Projects\*******\Assembly-CSharp.csproj'.
    f:\Projects\*******\Assembly-CSharp.csproj
    C:\Users\#######\.vscode\extensions\ms-vscode.csharp-1.15.2\.omnisharp\1.30.1\msbuild\15.0\Bin\Microsoft.Common.CurrentVersion.targets(1126,5): Error: The reference assemblies for framework ".NETFramework,Version=v4.7.1" were not found. To resolve this, install the SDK or Targeting Pack for this framework version or retarget your application to a version of the framework for which you have the SDK or Targeting Pack installed. Note that assemblies will be resolved from the Global Assembly Cache (GAC) and will be used in place of reference assemblies. Therefore your assembly may not be correctly targeted for the framework you intend.

Nothing has changed in my environment, save for updating Unity from 2018.1.X to 2018.2.1f1; I had Intellisense with 2018.1 in the morning, updated to 2018.2 over lunch, and no Intellisense in the afternoon.

I've tried:
    • Uninstalling & reinstalling VS Code.
    • Reinstalling VS Code plugins.
    • Checking/resetting Unity's script editor setting in Edit > Preferences > External Tools.
    • Restarting PC
    Hope this gets addressed soon... although on the positive side of things, this has shown me that I rely too much on Intellisense!

JamesArndt likes this.
  3. LBehring

LBehring

I'm having the same issue ... I tried the same solutions above but nothing seems to work. Waiting for a fix.

4. jasilkm

jasilkm

Hey Anyone got a solution for this?

5. FunkyBuddha

FunkyBuddha

Re-install visual basic 2017, it worked for me.

6. fegabe

fegabe

I've fixed it changing to .NET 3.5 in my project (File -> Build Settings -> Player Settings). I had .NET 4.x before.

Capture.PNG

7. eses

eses

This seems to happen to me on and off... this is pretty annoying. I think I've got the exact same error message, but lately I've got a bit different I think.

if I close a project that has only few classes, then open Unity, I get the similar error and autocomplete doesn't work in VS Code. If I restart unity, I get the same error. If I start a new project, I won't. The same thing repeats.

This has happened at least with some 2018.x versions. I've got similar issues with OmniSharp and Atom, but I've since just used VS Code.

Problem:
    Seems like VS code OmniSharp plugin tries to find some "stuff" related to msbuild - I have no idea what it is about. And seems like there are two copies of that folder, one in Visual Studio Community edition (that I installed along Unity) and one in VS Code folder.
    For some reason OmniSharp decides to load the one in Visual Studio folder, which results in something missing. This or similar issue has been reported in OmniSharp's github... but the solutions seem to be really esoteric, or I just missed the good ones.

Hacky solution:
    Rename the Visual Studio msbuild folder to something else, like:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\MSBuild ---> MSBuild.old

Warning:
    This will most likely break the same feature in Visual Studio... but this is a fix for VS Code.

If someone has a better solution, I'd be interested, but OmniSharp not working is a problem.

8. DylanYasen

DylanYasen

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
  9. eses

eses

@DylanYasen

If that was aimed at me, could you define what exactly I should download and install and so on?

I think I've read that before, and also tried installing something like that, but it didn't help with this OmniSharp problem, but can't remember exactly...

I'm on Windows 10.

10. DylanYasen

DylanYasen

@eses I had this problem few weeks ago after I switched my project to use newer .net script runtime, and I fixed it by upgrading mono runtime to 5.14.
    I'm on mac tho, but try installing the latest mono from their official site.
    https://www.mono-project.com/download/stable/

diazwatson likes this.
  11. eses

eses

@DylanYasen

Well now that I checked what I did, I had installed "mono-5.4.1.6-x64-0.msi" from that site as a fix... but it didn't help a thing.

So maybe it's a bit earlier version.

Do I have to just install this one, not anything special?

12. DylanYasen

DylanYasen

I just tested it on my Windows machine. If you open your project with visual studio, it should notify you the missing .net framwork version

Attached Files:

• snip.PNG
      snip.PNG
      File size:
      12.6 KB
      Views:
  13. santiagolopezpereyra

santiagolopezpereyra

By reinstalling VS Code plugins I suppose you mean actual VS Code plugins and not the VS Code plugin from the Asset Store.

I had this problem twice. First time I fixed it by installing the Visual Studio Code asset from the Asset Store, which enables a full integration with Unity and VS Code. After installing it, remember going into Preference --> VS Code --> Enable Integration, and set Enable Integration to true.

If this is not the problem, then I must ask: do you have a .project, project.json and your_project_name.sln files?

I don't remember which one -sorry :) - but one of them was definitely needed for Unity intellisense and stuff. So just check which one you don't have and create it. I must add that you are not to create any of these files on your Assets folder, but on your project's folder. Your file tree should look something like this:

Attached Files:

RLink likes this.
  14. eses

eses

@DylanYasen - Not working for me.

I guess I have a bit different problem. I don't / didn't get error about anything missing. And it really seems to have something to do with VS Code just getting messed up between where to find MSBuild.

Renaming folder seems to be the only fix I found... as soon as I rename the folder back, I get the error in VS Code.

Also, Installing the latest mono didn't change this, just tested.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
  15. eses

eses

Hi @santiagolopezpereyra

I know the answer wasn't aimed at me - but I'm just curious...

I don't think you need to use any 3rd party asset store project specific asset to have full integration any more?

Also, what are .project and project.json files? I know very little about VS Code... I just use it, haven't had time to dig into it. I don't think we have such files - this is how newly created project looks like at least for me:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4jffxj479kfkn8f/20180906_VS_Code_project.PNG?dl=0

16. santiagolopezpereyra

santiagolopezpereyra

Hi @eses

Sorry for the delayed response.

I believe the .project file is a file created by Visual Studio Code saving a project's data, such as dependencies and build specifications. The project.json file is a project management file usually created automatically on projects when using a editor -such as VS or VS Code-, though its creation can be deactivated on the settings. If you want to take a look at what it is specifically,

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/nuget/archive/project-json

take a look at that.

This files are in deed necessary to my project for intellisense to work. If I erase them Intellisense ceases to work, and if I regenerate them it works again. Same happens with the VS Code package from the Asset Store.

Anyhow, reading the post I made I clearly forgot to mention I work on Linux, so perhaps this requirements depend on the OS?

17. CrowbarSka

CrowbarSka

Hey everyone, a colleague helped me fix this. I too had the error listed above in the VS Code output log...

.NETFramework,Version=v4.7.1" were not found. To resolve this, install the SDK or Targeting Pack for this framework version

The solution was simply to a) read the error and b) follow its instructions XD

How I fixed it...

1. Close VS Code.
    2. Download and install Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7.1 here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=56119
    3. Restart VS Code.
    After that, Intellisense worked fine in a project that was formerly broken. This is in Unity 2018.2.7f1 on Windows 10.

Hope that helps others with the same issue. Check the VS Code log when it warns you!

Mctheodoren, samis3d, rprrs and 17 others like this.
  18. Daevin

Daevin

@CrowbarSka I did read the error and follow its instructions hahaha it didn't fix it then, and it didn't fix it now with 2018.2.10f2 either!

For me, Intellisense still is not working.

19. CrowbarSka

CrowbarSka

Sorry to hear that, not sure what to suggest if you have installed .NET Framework 4.7.1 and it's still not working as that step solved it for me :/

20. hychul

hychul

To fix the issue
    1. Download and install Microsoft's .NET Framework SDK any version with start 4.X from https://www.microsoft.com/net/download/visual-studio-sdks
    2. In VS Code, open 'Assembly_CSharp.csproj' file and change 'TargetFrameworkVersion' to what you installed .NET Framework SDK version
    3. And done! :)

21. diegyoho

diegyoho

That's worked!

22. ItsJayD

ItsJayD

I'm going to hop of this thread to voice a similar issue I've been having, but the issue isn't due to the fact I don't have the newest version, it's that Unity is defaulting the <TargetFrameworkVersion> value to 4.5, even when I try change it to 4.7.2. I've been trying to get a .net 4.5 SDK version, I've only found 4.5.2 so far, and that isn't fixing the lack of Intellisense. It's very frustrating, if anyone can suggest a fix I'd be very grateful

atoickecaj and Alex_May like this.
  23. 5argon

5argon

The lastest alpha somehow default to <TargetFrameworkVersion>v4.7.2</TargetFrameworkVersion> and I installed Visual Studio (not code), updated .NET Core to latest, updated Mono to latest, and it still fails to start omnisharp in VSCode. I ended up search and replace with <TargetFrameworkVersion>v4.7.1</TargetFrameworkVersion> and it works, but if Unity regenerate the project file I have to do it again. Also note that this is on macOS, so the obvious path of installing the framework or targeting pack does not work (it is .exe)

atoickecaj likes this.
  24. n8burba

n8burba

On my laptop I had to install the latest .NET, restart and let Visual Studio Community 2017 create the sln and csproj files, then open VSCode. That solved the problem. HOWEVER, on my friend's laptop, with basically the exact same setup, Unity and Visual Studio would not update <TargetFrameworkVersion> in the *.csproj files (3 of them) from v4.5 to v4.7.1. So, we went in there and did it manually and VOILA it worked.

25. pintu236

pintu236

For those who haven't solved this problem yet
    1. Open Assembly-CSharp.csproj file,it's in root of your project
    2. You only have to change this <TargetFrameworkVersion>v4.6.1</TargetFrameworkVersion>
    3. Just replace with whatever version of .NET framework sdk installed.

You should have both .NET framework and targeting sdk installed for a particular version,dont' use version less than 3.5
    cause it's now obsolete for unity 2018.

This is a temporary solution cause targetFrameworkVersion always changes to unity default when you close the editor

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    Z-DNA likes this.
  26. gdbjohnson3

gdbjohnson3

I'm working on Mac and this just started happening to me after I changed my Scripting Runtime Version... I moved my project from .Net35 Equivalient (Deprecated) to .Net4x, and I lose my Omnisharp. A bit annoying... the loss of this functionality is big enough to make me switch it back.

Is there a better solution for mac users?

27. rakkarage

rakkarage

latest unity on ubuntu

could not get unity work at all
    installed all dependencies from thread
    worked

could not find installable 4.7.1 like vscode asks for
    intalled mono
    works

thanks

Code (CSharp):
    1. <Project Sdk="Microsoft.NET.Sdk">
    2.     <PropertyGroup>
    3.         <TargetFramework>netstandard2.0</TargetFramework>
    4.     </PropertyGroup>
    5.     <ItemGroup>
    6.       <Content Include="Name.csv">
    7.         <CopyToOutputDirectory>Always</CopyToOutputDirectory>
    8.       </Content>
    9.       <Content Include="Syllable.csv">
    10.         <CopyToOutputDirectory>Always</CopyToOutputDirectory>
    11.       </Content>
    12.       <Content Include="Title.csv">
    13.         <CopyToOutputDirectory>Always</CopyToOutputDirectory>
    14.       </Content>
    15.     </ItemGroup>
    16. </Project>
    the new dotnet '1 line' project files are nice and easy to use but we stuck with 600 lines of should be git-ignored generated project files

28. Ryiah

Ryiah

29. skyLark9

skyLark9

I remember this happened to me last year. This was a headache and I couldn't find any solution.
    Now i'm using the free version of VS 2017 with Brackeys theme.
    Good luck guys.

30. rakkarage

rakkarage

31. gdbjohnson3

gdbjohnson3

After some research, I found that upgrading mono is all that was needed to use the latest version of .net.

32. CrowbarSka

CrowbarSka

33. lajonss

lajonss

I recall fixing intellisense issues by deleting the ".vscode" directory inside the project I was working on.

Chuk_iGek, XVI_LoLz and EvOne like this.
  34. spleen1334

spleen1334

Updating Mono fixed it for me.

35. LoganBlack13

LoganBlack13

I confirm, works for me on Win 10 latest updates (so .net SDK latest ver. is included), with unity 2018.3.11f1 with VS code 1.33.1

EvOne likes this.
  36. Daevin

Daevin

I ran into this issue again, running 2019.1.XX with Visual Studio Code on Windows 10.

What fixed it for me was using the link provided by @hychul (which redirects to https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/visual-studio-sdks for me) and installing the 4.5, 4.6, 4.7, 4.7.1, 4.7.2, and 4.8 SDKs under ".NET Framework", ensuring to download the items under "Developer Pack", NOT under "Runtime". Other links to .NET 4.7.1 seemed to have installed the Runtime pack, which definitely will not fix the issue.

Was it overkill to install all 6 of the Developer Packs? Most likely... but that's what worked for me (though I didn't work backwards, I just did all 6 before testing again, so try working backwards down the list until it fixes it so you don't waste your time).

And don't forget to set Visual Studio Code as your External Editor in the Unity Preferences instead of "... by extension".

37. CrowbarSka

CrowbarSka

I recently did a fresh install of Windows 10 (upgraded from 7) and got it to work just using .NET 4.7.1, although not at first.

This turned out to be the kicker for me. If you don't set that, Unity will default to "open by file extension", which just opens your scripts as regular individual script files when you double-click them in the Project tab, instead of opening the project. Once I changed the setting in Preferences > External Tools, it worked perfectly.

38. ecv80

ecv80

For Ubuntu 18.04, in short: install mono from their official repos in their website (https://www.mono-project.com/download/stable/), not from Ubuntu repos!

And that's it! I might just have saved you from several hours of vain research work and frustration. Here's how mine went:

* search for error without actually reading it. Landed here. Read CrowbarSka's comment: "The solution was simply to a) read the error and b) follow its instructions XD". Laugh. Find out it isn't that straightforward for Linux. Cry.
    * I need a higher version of mono-reference-assemblies. I'll update everything. Failed, highest is still 4.0.
    * I found mono reference assemblies github! And they have v4.7.2! I'll download zip and install... Fail, building/installation instructions look more like library own developers instructions or package maintainer instructions. Look how other mono-reference-assemblies Ubuntu packages look. Wait... this is a bunch of .dll and I got them in this zip, so maybe I just have to install to the right place... hold it, hold it, hold it now... we're going overboard here and gonna leave things in an unusable state and we're working too much.
    * I read someone, somewhere, said those reference assemblies have to be same version than mono compiler... So maybe I should just try to update mono as a whole, are there backports? no... but hmm, I already checked latest unstable Ubuntu versions only have up to mono-reference-assemblies-4.0... so... Oh, I know! I'll check the official website and see.
    * Ok, I added the official repo and tried to update but it's saying it will install 4.0... hmmm.. Oh this guy on this bug tracker is saying he's having the same problem but when he actually went ahead and updated he got the 5.x version! Fair enough! I'll give a try! Yeah it installed 5.x!
    * Crossed fingers, let's give it a try by opening a project on the latest Unity beta. Woah! It works! What about an older project on 2017.3.x? It still works! Grrrrreeaaat!

Which is why I hate having to put much time into setting up IDEs and stuff. It's always a freaking nightmare and specially a waste of time. Whenever I have to try a new engine, library, upgrade or whatnot I start shaking. Coding is not a problem but that thing really sucks. I was so happy to see that 2019 resolved the issue with sound delay on many not-top-brand phones including Xiaomi, and then when I resume working on vscode wah wah wah wah (
    )... that dreaded error (which I had seen before long ago BTW) and no intellisense... FML.

39. MonkeyDW

MonkeyDW

40. Bambivalent

Bambivalent

Same here with Unity 2019.2.8 on win10. Don't bother with .NET 4.8, for me this was all I needed.

41. xcb

xcb

42. FunkyBuddha

FunkyBuddha

I've gone thru so many solution, but what worked for me is to uninstall and reinstall it again.
    And voila, Intellisense started working again.

43. Alex_May

Alex_May

Absolutely broken on Mac whatever i do, on Unity 2018, 2019, and 2020. Tried switching project to .NET 3.5 (get same error but for version 3.5 instead of 4.7.1), tried installing latest Mono, .NET Core 3.1, restarting, rebuilding project files, everything. Days and days wasted. Contacted support days ago but no response. Disgusted doesn't even start to cover it.

44. Alex_May

Alex_May

I uninstalled every Unity and Visual Studio and Visual Studio Code, then reinstalled Unity + VS Community, and intellisense works in that. On Mac, I recommend doing this instead of trying to use VS Code.

45. enhawk

enhawk

ActiveSim, alice_fusebox and jdtec like this.
  46. eses

eses

@hawken

Not true for everyone (luckily? We will see...) - although this has happened to me too, VS Code 1.42.0 works just fine with Unity - no problems so far with auto complete or debugging for example.

47. enhawk

enhawk

Just to clarify I think they now require a newer version of .net, which you may or may not have already installed. This was on Mac, I didn't have any problems on Windows10.

48. HanSyuan

HanSyuan

@hawken Thanks! These reinstalls save me on mac.

49. wild-Tom

wild-Tom

Hi,

I had this error when opening the project with Visual Studio Code:
    .NETFramework,Version=v4.7.1" were not found. To resolve this, install the SDK or Targeting Pack for this framework version

I had this configuration:

Ubuntu 18.04
    Unity 2019.2
    Visual Studio Code

This step by step instructions solved my problem.

Additionally I needed to install a newer version of Mono, you can find
    here.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
    ActiveSim likes this.
  50. ActiveSim

ActiveSim

Hi,

after install Visual Studio Code, dotnet and mono (works very well thanks to your comments) I cannot connect over TCP or HTTP request anymore. Unity show this error in the console:
    Curl error 4: Unsupported proxy 'https://127.0.0.1:3128/', libcurl is built without the HTTPS-proxy support,
    and I get a request timeout due to the HTTP request.

I'm working behind a proxy environment, but the error doesn't occur before the install.
    My configuration:
    - Ubuntu 18.04
    - Unity 2019.2

I removed dotnet and mono again, but that doesn't change the problem.
    Has anybody the same problem or can help?