Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Visual Studio can't be used on 5.4.0b5 & b6

Discussion in '5.4 Beta' started by StartStart, Feb 16, 2016.

1. StartStart

StartStart

-Visual Studio 2015 can't be used on Unity 5.4.0b5 & Unity 5.4.0b6
    and Monodeveloper was crash when open any scripts.

-Unity 5.4.0b4 can't automatic syncing scripts
    I need to open Preferences window and close to manual sync.

-Unity 5.4.0b4 can't double-click on console to go to scripts but not found any crash.

Thank you Unity Developer! Unity Editor is very awesome and easy to use.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  2. GabrieleUnity

GabrieleUnity

Unity Technologies

Hello TARTs,

does this happen even on a newly created projects? Or only on existing ones?

Thanks,
    Gabriele

3. StartStart

StartStart

Existing one sir.

4. iivo_k

iivo_k

I noticed some weird stuff with both Beta 4 and Beta 5. I updated a 5.3 project and there were some errors from https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/18253 that I had to fix (Blackberry had to be ignored as platform or something). After editing the script in Visual Studio and going back to Unity, the the indicator on the bottom right corner would never finish spinning until I manually chose a script an reimported. After a restart all seemed to work though.

5. GabrieleUnity

GabrieleUnity

Unity Technologies

Any chance you can open a bug report with the project (of part of it, enough to reproduce the issue) attached? It will be very useful. We are already investigating similar issues, but they are very hard to reproduce and a reprocase will help a lot.

Gabriele

6. GabrieleUnity

GabrieleUnity

Unity Technologies

Hello,

is it something you can reproduce consistently? If so, can you send us a repro case so we can give it a look?

Gabriele

7. BlastoIO

BlastoIO

We experienced similar issues on three separate Win 10 64 bit enterprise machines when running b5 64 bit AND having an installation of 32 bit unity editor 5.3.2 on the machine. Both existing and new projects.

Cause of issue: b5 stuck trying to use 32 bit compiler, regardless of override settings. Editor wouldn't compile past built-in Advertisements task, "fail to open" on Visual Studio 2015 in editor log, followed by opening in 32 bit mono.

Our fix: Open on machine without 32 bit version installed, save, reopen of machine experiencing issues.

No issues seen on b6.

8. GibTreaty

GibTreaty

I'm using 5.4.0b5 and it works just fine with Visual Studio 2015 Community for me. More Info: I had upgraded a 5.3 project to 5.4.0b5. At first it wouldn't open the VS solution file when I tried to open a script from Unity's editor. It would open the script file but the rest of the solution wasn't there so classes from other namespaces were still black. It wasn't until I went to use the Open C# Project that it finally connected up properly.

9. melkior

melkior

Experiencing a similar issue. When I choose the menu to Open C# project it goes directly to Mono now rather than Visual Studio.

However if I open Visual Studio manually and then open the project solution file manually that works fine.

10. GabrieleUnity

GabrieleUnity

Unity Technologies

Hello everyone,

we've found and are solving a bunch of VS related issues; fixes should land in one of the upcoming betas and patch releases. Meanwhile, if someone have a chance to spend a few minutes and send us a repro case of their issue, it will be great so we can verify our fixes against it!

Thanks again for the feedback,
    Gabriele

11. scottmgi

scottmgi

I have just sent a bug report in for this with a new project, created in 5.4 Beta 6, trying to access Visual Studio 2010. I am having this same issue too. I have not received the confirmation email yet, so I could attach it here.

12. GabrieleUnity

GabrieleUnity

Unity Technologies

Perfect, thanks! I will scan through the pending issues and see if I can find it.
    FYI, we fixed many of VS related issues, and the fixes are probably going to land in b7 or b8.

13. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

FYI this also happened in b4 too

14. codestage

codestage

Hey, I'm having this in b7 (scripts are opened with MonoDevelop instead of VS). Should I report it or better to wait for b8?

15. GabrieleUnity

GabrieleUnity

Unity Technologies

Plz report the issue with as more additional information as possible; it looks like some of these issues happen only on some machines and only with specific configurations, so having a bit more information is going to help making sure we solve the problem for your specific case.

Thanks,
    Gabriele

16. codestage

codestage

Thanks for your quick responce, @GabrieleUnity !

I've made a small investigation which led me to this:

- it works fine (opens VS) if project directory is placed on drive C:\
    - it doesn't works fine if project directory is placed on drives D:\ and E:\

I experimented on new project and each time I moved directory, I removed all files and folders except the Assets and ProjectSettings folders.

This seems to be pretty specific and I'm not sure it's reproducible on other machines.
    Should I report this via bug reporter anyways?

Please let me know if I can help somehow further.

17. GabrieleUnity

GabrieleUnity

Unity Technologies

Great, tnx for the info. I will forward these information to the right people, but if you can take a bit of time to open a bug report it would be fantastic, so we can properly track everything in our system.

18. codestage

codestage

Sure thing, just submitted it as case 776125.

19. GabrieleUnity

GabrieleUnity

Unity Technologies

Great, tnx!

20. codestage

codestage

Just tried b8 - unfortunately it's still there.

21. Deleted User

Deleted User

I can confirm this problem exists in b8 also. It has been this way for the last few builds on existing projects. If I create a new project, there are no issues.

22. Deleted User

Deleted User

It seems that it works if Visual Studio 2015 is already open in the background. But only if you manually opened the project .sln file in the project folder.