Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Visual studio - break on exception

Discussion in 'Code Editors & IDEs' started by andyz, Aug 11, 2021.

1. andyz

andyz

I have no problem breaking VS on placed break points when debugging but if unity code throws an exception then Unity can be made to pause the game and show where the error occurred in the console...
    but I want it to switch to VS and show the current call stack, variable values etc. - should I be able to?

As it is, I have to repeat the actions with a new breakpoint at the point of exception to get a proper look at the error in VS, seems a Unity limitation

2. Neto_Kokku

Neto_Kokku

In Visual Studio, go into Debug / Windows / Exception Setting, then enable the managed exceptions you want the debugger to break on.

skullthug and andyz like this.
  3. andyz

andyz

Thanks! Not sure why I do not know this, but could be mentioned in Unity debugging notes

4. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

Sorry to necro this, but is the mentioned setting above really the solution?

Would also like that when the NullReferenceException occurs (unintialized variable etc.), the debugger should stop to show me which variable is the culprit (since the error log does only provide the line and sometimes have multiple reference sin the same line).

However despite this (which already was enabled) no exceptions are thrown.
    upload_2022-8-22_0-51-16.png

Breakpoints do work, so the "Attach to Unity" part is successful.

VS version: 2022.

Any ideas?

5. Neto_Kokku

Neto_Kokku

There's a separate, Unity-specific exception called "MissingReferenceException" which is thrown in the Editor when a reference to a Unity object is a "fake null".

Also, sometimes I have to toggle the exception off then on again after attaching the debugger for it to stick.

Harry-Wells likes this.
  6. kloot

kloot

For folks wondering how to add the MissingReferenceException in VS:
    Right click "Common Language Runtime Exceptions" in the screenshot above, hit the plus-icon and add "UnityEngine.MissingReferenceException"

And yes, I've also seen a lot of flakyness with getting this to work reliably like needing to toggle exceptions on and off to get it to work (never had a problem with any other targets than Unity).

horeaper and Maeslezo like this.
  7. Maeslezo

Maeslezo

Toggling the exception on and off did the trick for me