Search Unity

Visual Studio and C# scripts no longer opening!

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Stephan-B, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Stephan-B

Stephan-B

Hi!

For some reason and all of a sudden, my C# scripts inside my project won't open in Visual Studio 2010 anymore. Instead they open in MonoDevelop.

Visual Studio is still selected as my editor. When I double click or try to open a script, I see a message about Visual Studio opening but then instead the script shows up in MonoDevelop.

What gives and how do I fix this?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  2. CriTaG

CriTaG

I have the same problem sometimes. The preferences are set on VS.

When I restart Unity, the problem is solved, most of the times.
    Let's hope that this problem is fixed in the new Unity :).

3. Stephan-B

Stephan-B

Does anyone have any solutions for this?

4. tobiass

tobiass

Got the same issue now. It doesn't solve by restarting Unity and neither by resetting the file associations in VS.
    I got 2 editions of VS installed:
    The Express VS 10 starts if I select it. I don't know if Unity found it itself.
    Unity didn't know about the pro version so I used the Preferences -> Browse option to select the specific VS exe to start. It starts MD instead.

For some reason, this now works again. I installed a plugin to VS and switched between all options and at some point Unity opened the right VS again. No idea what happened.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  5. CriTaG

CriTaG

What you can do, is work the other way:
    Start your VC.
    Go to: File --> Open --> Project/Solution
    select the csharp solution from your Unity project.

Keep VC running. If you create a new script, your VC will ask for a reload, but you can always program within the program.
    This is the way I work now and I like it.

6. Karsten

Karsten

i know this thread is somewhat dated but i post anyway, because i found a solution or better said the reason of such strange behavior

it fixed for me when i turned Visual studio back to NOT start as Administrator wich i turned on before for some reason

in short: it looks like Unity 3d behaves somewhat strange if the external editor is started as Administrator i am not sure what is the deeper reason of that behave, i could think of this: unity 3d isnt started as Administrator so it cant start another programm that should be started as Administrator.

how ever: make sure Visual Studio is NOT started in Administrator mode should fix it!

have a nice day....

Al-Masry and A_Vrankie like this.
  7. EttiboPlop

EttiboPlop

Hi guys,
    I have found a solution to be able to kind of work this problem out.
    It seems there is a problem with the opening of visual studio and the sln file.
    So all you have to do is open the file yourProject-csharp.sln not yourProjet.sln (those 2 files are automatically generated by unity) and then you can have all your interactions back between Unity and Vs.
    Hope this can help you out

8. A_Vrankie

A_Vrankie

Changing the "start with administrative privilege" option woked for me, thx

however; instead of opening both without admin, I open both WITH admin. It seems installing a new version of unity resets this setting (makes a new shortcut without it).

9. adretixgaming

adretixgaming

i just downloaded unity and tried to open a c# project but it never opened and they told me to check external appliction preferences

Halilkunge likes this.
  10. dev-borisov-alexey

dev-borisov-alexey

Hi guys,
    I removed *.sln file and restart Unity. The problem is solved.

11. jipsen

jipsen

That didn't work for me... scripts still won't open.

12. V_endeta

V_endeta

I have same problem

13. UncleBanana

UncleBanana

I had the same problem with Visual Studio Code and none of the solutions above helped me. I uninstalled Visual Studio Code and then reinstalled it, but this time using the system installer rather than the user installer.
    I think it might have been an update to Visual Studio Code that broke it.

Answer: Reinstall Visual Studio Code

14. MadhuJO2

MadhuJO2

Simply delete
    .vs folder
    .vscode folder
    and
    all 3 assembly files
    including .sln and restart unity everything becomes normal

15. TheNenet

TheNenet

Where do you find theses folders?

samisuleman1 likes this.
  16. tobiass

tobiass

In your project. They may be hidden by the system, so in some cases, you may have to show hidden files/folders.

17. krotovar

krotovar

Unity 2019 - 2020 So/ I had a problem with Unity hub - new Unity versions isn't intaling at all (Incomplete or corrupted file)
    and as bonus in Unity my Visual studio doesnt have proper intellisense
    If you have simple only last problem :
    1. preference - external tool - script editor - Visual studio
    But in this case my Unity stop to open scripts.
    Than I found onlyone total solution:
    1. delete Unity
    2 Instal Unity hub
    3. Instal Visual Studio from microsoft separeted
    4. Download torrent (dont't forget to turn off Mac version) from arhive on unity site https://unity3d.com/ru/get-unity/download/archive
    5. Instal Unity and all modules separeted! Not from Unity hub! Only by hands as true old-school
    6. Locate from hub installed Unity version
    Done! You are awesome! everything work!
    Hope it will help? becose I didn't found any solution online for those kind of problem

18. bdspvl

bdspvl

Hello all.. Unity and VS2019 was working ok till a day ago. Unity coding no longer opens in VS2019 C#. So now I'm reinstalling VS2019 AND Unity to see if this will fix this...

19. bdspvl

bdspvl

Also was working on Unity High Speed Chase training when the crash happen and it no longer opened code in VS from Unity. What I was doing up to that point was do a step and save it as a VS program with basically the same title description shortened. Was working well up to then.

20. Fireseadog6

Fireseadog6

same here, there seems to be no clear solution and no yt totorial. :(

21. Asko1963

Asko1963

Hi
    I don't know if this generates more problems later but I changed Unity External Tools External Script Editor setting from "Visual Studio" to "Open by file extension" and that works fine for me.

upload_2021-2-15_20-48-2.png

wethings likes this.
  22. Necrophyte

Necrophyte

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/vi...-visual-studio-tools-for-unity?pivots=windows

This was the fix for me. For anyone who came here where External Script editor was showing just open by extension and Browse.

Summary..
    Click Browse and go to the visual studio install. For me this was C:\Program Files(x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019/Community\Common 7\IDE
    Then select the devenv.exe file.
    Once I did this it started thinking, and then populated my dropdown with Visual 2019 and Visual 2019 community. I chose community.
    From there on every thing went fine.