Search Unity

Visual Studio 2019

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by konsic, Dec 4, 2018.

1. konsic

konsic

2. yoonitee

yoonitee

Also:

Rond, xCyborg and vakabaka like this.
  3. konsic

konsic

4. yoonitee

yoonitee

5. KazYamof

KazYamof

Is VS2019 working with Unity?

jnoideal and avsanin8_unity like this.
  6. Ryiah

Ryiah

If it is none of the usual websites have been updated to mention it.

7. KazYamof

KazYamof

I've just installed: auto complete is working!

upload_2018-12-10_14-18-5.png

Attached Files:

mandisaw and vakabaka like this.
  8. APSchmidt

APSchmidt

Is it compatible with Unity? I don't want to install it just to notice that it is not. :)

Last edited: May 4, 2019
    jnoideal likes this.
  9. yoonitee

yoonitee

Autocomplete has stopped working for me in VS 2017. Don't know why.

C# 8.0 is kind of underwhelming in terms of new ideas. Last interesting thing for C# was LINQ. Maybe they shouldn't have sacked Erik Meijer. I think had they kept him on C# would have morphed into Haskell.

KazYamof likes this.
  10. APSchmidt

APSchmidt

Did you reinstall Visual Studio; it can help fixing problems.

11. KazYamof

KazYamof

At least for me is workiing fine the auto complete.

Totally agree with you. But about VS stop working: probably reinstalling Unity and VS fixes the issue. I've tried to use VSCode with Unity, didn't like it and had to remove it. But it messed up everithing with Unity and VS 2017 so I had to reinstall both again to fix auto complete.

12. mnwarren

mnwarren

VS2019 Preview is working with Unity 2019.1.0a11 currently. I am able to launch it and have Intellisense and debugging.

I was able to get Unity 2018.2.19f1 to launch VS2019 by changing the Unity editor preferences, but there were bugs-- Intellisense wasn't active and the debugger didn't have the ability to connect to Unity.

APSchmidt likes this.
  13. Ryiah

Ryiah

Sounds like a great reason to sack him. :p

14. APSchmidt

APSchmidt

Thank you, that's what I wanted to know. :)

15. APSchmidt

APSchmidt

16. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Rallix, mandisaw and Ryiah like this.
  17. Player7

Player7

I'd be tempted to try Vs 2019.. but honestly the entire release looks pretty lame for my usages of it... seen better improvements happening in Vscode over the year (though tab implementation sucks still, scrolling the tabbar for documents? pretty lame when they could just improve on tab width resizing and multiline bar etc) Anyway has 2019 got [mmb] column selecting.. have they bothered adding that shortcut in, I doubt it.

oh yeah back to I'm temped to try it.. I mean I would if MS didn't completely suck at making VisualStudio literately put files everywhere, it's a glorified text editor at the heart of it, that could really have most its stuff in one folder, but noo it wants to dump S*** literately everywhere on your pc including everywhere in the registry, and then cause countless issues with updating later, or conflicting with previous versions ...from past experiences anyway.. So I won't even touch the damn thing until it's out as final.

I'd switch to JetBrains IDE for Unity if those people ever figured out how implement tabs (it's not like fking rocket science the features/options/customization and ux of tabs done properly has been established for well over a decade in some software/ browser addons etc.. yet somehow those.....developers don't seem to get it, even VisualStudios tab implementation with dropdown menu for documents that go off the bar is ok, not great it still sucks compared to even notepad++ that offers multi-line tabbar) and Jetbrains really need to actually add in a built in scrollmap that works as good as Visual Studio's.

18. Glader

Glader

I think that is an exaggeration to say the least. Nothing interesting since 2007? How about the TPL in 4.0 and subsequent addition of the runtime and compiler support for async/await? How something as recent as C# 6 introducing a way to better support compile time verification of reflection code with nameof or STRING INTERPOLATION, man that was a god send. C# 6s auto readonly props and expression bodied properties have also been fantastic, avoiding so much boilerplate for creating Types.

C# 7.0 alone has allowed for Unity to start implementing a DOD approach with ref locals and ref returns. It brought the ability for MS to introduce Span<T> and afew other Types which help better operate over memory with slicing in an allocationless and copyless way, being core features of C# 7.x.

async/await alone was monumental. I can't imagine writing manual async code, what an absolute nightmare. My Unity3D projects have made use of it extensively since the introduction of net45 support in... Unity 2017? Or Unity5? I can't remember exactly.

LINQ is great but it's far from the last great introduction to the C# language. I mean, LINQ isn't even a C# language feature. Extension methods + lambdas were, which LINQ was based on essentially introduced in C# 3.

Microsoft should, like in C# 7, continue to implement features that support high performance scenarios that aren't covered by the current runtime or language features. This is the most important thing, C# is already far ahead in terms of productivity and usability compared to its counter parts.

If C# 8 is anything like C# 7 was, we will see incremental additions of features like in C# 7.1, 7.2 and 7.3. C# 8 is just the first release and hopefully we get a couple of timeless features like previous versions, I know there have been many important features I could not imagine living without since C# 3/LINQ.

It seems like the .NET team has been very busy with netcore and beginning to implement C# language features with Roslyn. Maybe C# 7 and 8 didn't bring LINQ or Async/Await 2.0 but netcore alone is big enough to be considered. Though, I suppose if you only care about the compiler or C# language then yea netcore isn't relevant. But I like to look at .NET as a whole.

19. yoonitee

yoonitee

I stand corrected! I guess also the Parallel.For stuff was also very important. One which not a lot of people take advantage of but can really speed up your code. (In fact that reminds me I should optimise my code with that!).

As a language I still feel c# is a bit long-winded about things. var was a good addition. Binary literals in c#7 was also kind of neat.

But there's no major breakthroughs. I'm looking for something like GPGPU built into the language. i.e. shaders written in c#

xCyborg likes this.
  20. pKallv

pKallv

I now have a problem with VS. Before updating the autocompletion working flawless, when IntelliSense suggest something and I pressed enter it autocompleted the statement. Now, most often, when I press enter I get a new line instead. This is super frustrating. I have tried to understand why this is happening and not found a solution. Anyone know how to fix this? On one of my laptops I have not done the same update and it works well.

I use VS Mac 7.7.2 Build: 21Just saw that this is VS 2017.

21. wagenheimer

wagenheimer

I'm trying to use Unity with VS2019 Enterprise but I cannot open my project. It keeps showing me Incompatible Project.

upload_2019-4-8_16-12-39.png

Do I still need to import UnityVS Package? I could not find the correct package to import.

22. Triky313

Triky313

I have the same problems.

At work, my unity project works with vs2019 enterprise.

It does not work at home. Project incompatible.

23. 40detectives

40detectives

How stable is VS 2019 integration with Unity 2013.3.X right now?
    I've thinking on moving from 2017 but don't want to waste time to end up wasting even more time uninstalling 2019 and re-installing 2017 again.

24. Aldo-V

Aldo-V

I am using Visual Studio Code. It works very well with Unity and also its light weight editor than VS, I don't see any reason to use VS 2017/2019. I am missing out anything?

25. Triky313

Triky313

VS Code has no Resharper.

26. APSchmidt

APSchmidt

Is there real need for moving from 2017 to 2019 right now? Unity doesn't seem to be compatible with 2019 yet.

27. chaneya

chaneya

I made the mistake of downloading Intellicode for Visual Studio 2019 and it broke my ability to debug and connect to Unity or it may have been my update to Unity 18.3.12f1. I did both at about the same time. I've uninstalled both Visual Studio 2019 and 2017, reinstalled Visual Studio 2017 and Unity Tools 2017 and still am unable to connect to Unity for debugging. What a mess!!

It looks like it was as simply as Editor Attaching needing to be checked in preferences. Still..I'm not going to install Intellicode until I hear that it works with the Unity extension.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  28. Hasnad

Hasnad

Turn on Editor Attaching in preference.Then you will able to debug and attach to unity

29. Unity-Artcraft

Unity-Artcraft

Well not for me... most of the time I get "entry not found" ... so back to the old one.

30. APSchmidt

APSchmidt

Thanks for the feedback. :)

31. Unity-Artcraft

Unity-Artcraft

I would wait a little bit and try it after a few patches. Why change yet if the old version still works good?

Ryiah, angrypenguin and APSchmidt like this.
  32. Draag

Draag

Intellisense is working fine. Unity extension for R# also looks ok.
    However, I also experienced problems with debugger, as "Attach do Unity" doesn't show automatically as it was happening in 2017. You need to go to Debug tab in Visual Studio end there choose "Attach Unity Debugger" - then it works ok.

GodUnreal likes this.
  33. Player7

Player7

https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/vs/

I dunno why I bothered uninstalling vs2018 and installing vs2019 now that it is out of preview .. you would think between unity and M$ they'd actually had things sorted out by the time 2019.1 and vs2019 were both out and things just worked between the two...... but noo months go by, both come out, and do they both work together.. no, even the vs2019 installer still lists unity2018.3 the most broken edition.

And i'm guessing the vstools for unity that is an option to install for vs2019, is something that only works for unity 2018? just lame, I'm wondering if vscode or jetbrains might actually have a working ide for unity2019.1? perhaps time to remove MS visualStudio, its just a space hog anyway, and the 2019 update is pretty lame, still doesn't even support the basic [mmb] option todo column selections like vscode (ie it supports it but using some other naff combo you'd have to look into changing).. which I use all the time in vscode really useful for doing block commenting, but vscode was rubbish for debugging last time I tried it.

34. APSchmidt

APSchmidt

VS 2017 works with 2019.1.

35. Player7

Player7

Just gonna use vscode until unity/ms fix what should have been working for the official 2019 releases.

36. Ryiah

Ryiah

Just imagine how much space you would save if you could move to Linux? :p

37. Player7

Player7

Well probably a lot because most the S*** I'd want to use doesn't even work on linux :p

38. Meltdown

Meltdown

Why don't ya all just use Rider?
    Resharper natively built into an IDE, what more could you want?

Pro Tip for Rider Users
    To improve startup time dramatically, go to settings and disable all the plugins you don't need for Unity dev.

39. Ryiah

Ryiah

We're cheap. :p

Tzan likes this.
  40. Meltdown

Meltdown

$9.99 a month for an epic IDE that works on both Windows and Mac?
    Sounds like a good deal to me :)

I put a price on my sanity.

41. APSchmidt

APSchmidt

Working great is not the question, the question is "is it integrated to Unity". Monobehaviour doesnt exist in the original C# language.

And 0€ per month is the deal for me, I'm broke! :p

konsnos, oualidcena and dadude123 like this.
  42. Meltdown

Meltdown

Yes, it has a Unity plugin, with full Unity C# debugging/editor support.

angrypenguin likes this.
  43. APSchmidt

APSchmidt

Okay, but why would I use something I must pay for when I can use another tool that works also very well too for free?

44. Meltdown

Meltdown

Because if you're not using Resharper, or the benefits it provides (further built into Rider), you are severely limiting your productivity as a developer.

45. nemanjanovakovic

nemanjanovakovic

I tried using ReSharper a couple of times and decided to get rid of it every time. I felt like it impacted the responsiveness of the autocomplete function and some shortcuts I was used to just didn't work with it. It was too much of an annoyance for me to keep it.

46. Player7

Player7

I wouldn't pay 9.99 for something that still can't even get tabs right... I get spotify premium through mobile contract and I wouldn't pay for that sh't either, not sure wtf the company does with all the money but it certainly doesn't goto hiring better developers for the software and making it less dumbed down garbage.. winamp from 2000 had more media library, management, plugin functionality than that crap, not the mention plugins and api that didn't break all the time and piss off developers trying to fill the gap of making using spotify less rubbish.

Anyway back to jetbrains... like tabs are the most basic of S*** to do properly now, it's been demonstrated in browsers/addons and other pieces of software for implementation/customization and power ux shortcuts for 20years now and we're almost in 2020.. sorry but that is basic for a piece of software at this level now. I remember making a post about jetbrains rider a year ago...they still haven't done S***, hell even put in the request on the bugtracker.. last check on progress they are doing something.. not in any sort of timeframe I care about.

WIMe00g.jpg

The post I remember writing about it... https://forum.unity.com/threads/jetbrains-rider-a-mini-dairy.521171/#post-3420378

so yeah I've just gone back to vs2017 until Unity/MS get the vstools for 2019 updated why it hasn't already been done before either were released I have no freaking idea. I briefly tried to use vscode with Unity 2019.1, and while it works.. it's just horrid for debugging, like if they just made the error line reporting and debugging stuff more robust and better in ux like visual studio I'd probably be down with switching to vscode, although again the tab bar implementation is somewhat garbage, but at least it's fast to startup.. though it all feels a bit janky and slow not being a proper c# supported ide and integration with unity ain't good either. Shame really.. still vscode tabs are rubbish aswel, can't really reduce all the wasted space on them either... no multiline tab bar row still, and no right icon dropdown menu that shows all the opened files for when the sidemenu is not open or on something else.. instead you have to have the explorer sidemenu open all the time giving you what is essentially a vertical listing of all the opened docs.. just dumb S*** design I guess (because if you switch to the sidemenu to something else you have to go back to find a certain doc again.).. idiots could just improve the tabbar implementation but do they, no..they close the github issues and bury all the requests for improving gui/ux basic S*** all the time.

47. rosco_y

rosco_y

I am trying VS 2019 for new C# projects, and I like it. I personally like the "Thumbnail View" of the code like they have in VS Code. I stopped using it with Unity, however, because I was (once) unable to launch a debug session with Unity. I'm not positive that the problem was vs 2019, but when I switched back to VS 2017, the problem went away. It's just not worth my (admittedly inexpensive) time to work out the details of a problem when the solution is right in front of me.

48. APSchmidt

APSchmidt

To answer my own question, it seems to be.

I switched from VS 2017 to VS 2019 after I noticed that VS 2019 was proposed in Visual Studio Installer and so far, so good. :)

49. elmar1028

elmar1028

It's sad that Productivity Power Tools plugin hasn't been ported over to VS2019. Miss my colored tabs :(

50. vakabaka

vakabaka

Maybe your VS2019 is missing something for working with Unity ?
    I have VS2019 with MS-Installer. And it working nice. I like new AI-autocomplete ( IntelliSense ?). Just type ontri... choose the right one in the autocomplete and then the vs make the work... :D
    Code (CSharp):
    1. private void OnTriggerEnter(Collider other)
    2.     {
    4.     }
    OnTrigger.png other.png

I am using 2019.1.4 Unity