Search Unity

Visual Studio 2017 Tools for Unity, where to find a download?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Peter77, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

I'm unable to find a download for Visual Studio 2017 Tools for Unity. :confused:

Following the Visual Studio 2017 Tools for Unity "More Information" link in the "Extensions and Updates" dialog inside Visual Studio, forwards me to this site, where no download is available.

Google brings up various Microsoft sites where I can also find no download link, eg this site.

The Visual Studio Marketplace has no version for VS 2017 available:
    https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=SebastienLebreton.VisualStudio2015ToolsforUnity

There exists a Visual Studio 2017 Tools for Unity change-log, but again no download:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/vi...form/change-log-visual-studio-tools-for-unity

Where can I download Visual Studio 2017 Tools for Unity? I really want to update from 3.1.0.0 to 3.3.0.0, due to one bug in which I constantly run into, which is fixed in 3.3.

TokyoWarfareProject likes this.
  2. LaneFox

LaneFox

3. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Good idea. Unfortunately the VS 2017 installer installed 3.1.0.0 again, which I had installed already. I don't understand why Microsoft isn't proving a download just like they do with other extensions. That's really odd to me.

4. LaneFox

LaneFox

It's a transitional time for the tools, they're just being sloppy on integrating them. Looks like they want to ship them with the IDE rather than make them a standard downloadable plugin.

5. jbevain

jbevain

Microsoft

Hello folks,

3.1 is the latest stable build that is available for everyone for VS 2015 as an out of band extension and in VS 2017 through the Game development with Unity workload.

3.2 was an internal release.

3.3 will be included in the next dot release version of Visual Studio 2017, 15.3. If you want to use it before 15.3 is released, you can simply use the preview:

https://www.visualstudio.com/vs/preview/

Being a first party component of Visual Studio has advantages and disadvantages. We've been following the Visual Studio release cadence to make sure everyone has a good experience, and we usually go early in the previews for you to try on new features or jump unto bug fixes that are important to you.

If that's sloppy I need to adjust my definition :)

pappaxray2, schmosef and Peter77 like this.
  6. LaneFox

LaneFox

What I meant by "sloppy" is that it's difficult to discover what actually is the latest version and how to get it. I had similar issues when I was moving to vs2017, not knowing about the change and finding mixed information about what was happening with it, specifically the old version pages.

Sorry, I didn't mean there isn't good work being done, just that the old versions, change to being integrated, etc, makes it more confusing in general to figure out how to correctly get it now. I'm sure that will iron out over time once there is some consistent patterns

7. jbevain

jbevain

Microsoft

No worries I was just teasing in good fun.

That's actually great feedback, I'll work with my team and the documentation team and see how we can make things clearer.

angrypenguin and LaneFox like this.
  8. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

I'm using VS2017 Preview but also VS2017... I'm not going to provide any downloads but I'll tell you what I did and you'll have to workout the details yourself. You can uninstall VSTU 2017, then install VS2017 Preview to get the extension.. In regular VS2017 create a new Extensibility VSIX Package project. Put the proper references and files into that project from the VSTU extension from VS2017 Preview... make sure you update the Manifest with the correct product ID, name etc... Make sure you update the proper files to "Content" and copy local. Set the version to something that will install (i.e. 3.1.0.1 but not 3.3.0). Build... install your VSIX.

There are other steps if you want the Item Templates, etc. all working correclty, but if you're really hard up to get 3.3.0 into VS2017 without using Preview, this is pretty much what you're going to have to do.

And no guarantees it will work properly... you were warned. :)

vstu.PNG

9. jbevain

jbevain

Microsoft

You guys. Well you know the saying, if it works... :)

Dustin-Horne likes this.
  10. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

It was actually working fine for me in my limited tests. :D But now I'm updating to 15.3 since it released yesterday anyway.

11. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

I would appreciate if you can continue to provide separate VSTU downloads, for example on the Visual Studio Marketplace.

It's just a lot easier to download one installer and distribute it in the team, rather than having every person either upgrade Visual Studio or go through the Visual Studio Installer and select the appropriate packages.

Having software/updates accessible makes working in teams, where application versions are carved into stone - everyone has to use the same version, much much easier.

KUDr likes this.
  12. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/install/create-a-network-installation-of-visual-studio

Unless you're on an unreliable network, updates are pretty small and fast so not sure why updating the tooling once installed would be too difficult.

vs_enterprise.exe --Layout D:\VSToolsForUnity -add Microsoft.VisualStudio.Component.Unity

That will download the playloads for Visual Studio tools for Unity. You can also specify the language independently.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
    Ryiah likes this.
  13. Dan_Miller

Dan_Miller

I've lost a few hours trying to get Visual Studio 2017 to work correctly with Unity, but IntelliSense isn't working. When opening a script from Unity by double clicking on it, it opens as a misc file. I found several references by doing a Google search but so far everything I've tried doesn't work. Any suggestions on how to fix this problem? Using Unity 2017.1 but I also tried 5.6.2.

14. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

That's weird... it should open the solution itself in Visual Studio. Have you checked your project settings to make sure Visual Studio is set as the default IDE?

15. Dan_Miller

Dan_Miller

I checked and there is no other option since this is the only IDE on the PC. I attempted by file -- open file -- open with.

Yeah, it's strange. I have re-installed three times now. When I first install, IntelliSense works fine. Then I create a script in Unity, double click it, and then from that point forward IntelliSense no longer works. I believe because it is showing as Miscellaneous, but I don't understand why it is doing that.

In the Solution Explorer it shows my solution as incompatible and the application is not installed. I am only starting to learn C# so I'm not familiar.

16. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

Do me a favor... if this is Visual Studio 2017... hit your start menu and find Visual Studio Installer... Run it... select "Modify" and select individual components... find Visual Studio Tools for Unity... if it's installed, untick it and uninstall it, then run the installer again and reinstall it. Otherwise, just tick it and install it.

ManavD and kai_226 like this.
  17. Dan_Miller

Dan_Miller

Ok, so I uninstalled Tools for Unity and then re-installed. I then launched Unity, created a new script, double clicked which launched Visual Studio 2017. It shows up as Miscellaneous Files and IntelliSense does not work.

I then closed Unity and closed Visual Studio. Next I launched Visual Studio, new file, Visual C# Class and the same problem.

I closed that out and then created a new project. In the project settings the OK button is grayed out. I double checked the location to ensure it was pointing to a valid location, and the OK button still grayed out. So unable to create a New Project.

Back to the installer, under workloads, I installed .NET desktop development. I then went for new project again and this time presented with a .NET framework higher than 3.5. Using .NET Framework 4.6.1, there were options for Visual C# and the Ok button was no longer grayed out. I selected Console App and created a new project. IntelliSense seems to work, but in a generic way. For example, if I begin to type 'transform', it does not give code completion for transform. It no longer says Miscellaneous Files but still no code completion.

I then went back to Workloads and selected Universal Windows Platform development in the installer. This added a 6GB module. Launched the test project and same problem. Launched Unity, opened script, and same problem.

Back to the VS Installer and individual components. Checked the component named Unity 5.6 Editor to install. Same problem, no code completion. Back to Unity Preferences External Tools to try and select Unity.Vs.OpenFile. This would not select before but this time the setting seems to select. External argument "$(File)". Closed out VS, double clicked script in Unity, and it does not launch Visual Studio.

Back to preferences and changed to Mono Develop just to try it out. It launches and code completion works fine. Typed tran, and given many options as it relates to Transform. Just as I would expect from Visual Studio. Closed out Mono Develop and back to preferences to select Visual Studio 2017. It requires a restart to take effect so restarted Unity 2017.1. Same problem in Visual Studio. I shouldn't say there is no code completion, but it is things like: true, try, tryf, etc.

I wrote a novel here but open to any other ideas someone may have. Not sure where else to go with this. Uninstalling and re-installing has given the same result three times. I don't want to use Visual Studio without code completion so I need to resolve this problem before I can continue with learning how to code in C#.

18. Dan_Miller

Dan_Miller

Update: Ok, without doing anything else, I decided to launch Unity 5.6.2. Created a new project, created a new script, double clicked it and it then launched VS 2017. Typed 'tr' and IntelliSense works just fine; giving options for transform, transparency, etc.

I then closed that out, launched Unity 2017.1 and opened the file that was used in Unity 5.6.2. When double clicking and opening in VS 2017, IntelliSense works just fine.

Although I now have a working VS 2017, I really don't understand why.

19. Dan_Miller

Dan_Miller

I launched my original project and now back to the same problem; no code completion. Or, at least, not normal code completion.

I'm noticing a difference between the scripts:

1. BalloonController.cs which does not code complete correctly.

2. TestTwo.cs which works just fine.

The script that works fine has the following grayed out:
    using System.Collections;
    using System.Collections.Generic;

And the name of the project shows correctly.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The script that does not work fine has the following in white (not grayed out):
    using System.Collections;
    using System.Collections.Generic;

And the name of the project says Miscellaneous Files.

softrare likes this.
  20. Dan_Miller

Dan_Miller

Ok, I think this is my final entry. It seemed that deleting the solution and starting over might work. So I deleted all the files related to VS within my Unity project. I then restarted Unity and opened the project. When double clicking on the script, it launched VS and created a new solution. Now everything works fine. I don't know what caused the problem, but the fix was simply deleting the old solution, and creating a new one.

softrare and tyapichu like this.
  21. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

I think I just read all volumes of Encyclopedia Britannica cover to cover. :) Glad you got it working. Sounds to me like there was something jacked in the project or sln file... but that doesn't explain why Visual Studio was giving you the same problems with other non-unith projects.

Dan_Miller likes this.
  22. tyapichu

tyapichu

Dan_Miller, I think I've found the best solution of our problem (i've got the same problem with vs17 as you).

It's VisualStudio problem, not Unity. The solution describes here and here.
    First you shoult Default Application property for SLN file. (no sure if this is necessary)
    Next save your SLN file by VS17 (select it in Solution Explorer and Save As in file menu to rewright existing file).
    And restart your VisualStudio.

unity_BKllr8GDrbBoTw likes this.
  23. omninewb

omninewb

TL;DR - Open both Unity and Visual Studio in either elevated(Administrator) mode, or non-elevated mode. Not one in the other and vice-versa.

In the event someone else runs across this thread and the above solutions do not work for them (as they did not for me), ensure you are running both programs at the same privilege elevation by default.

I have been running VS2017 in Administrator mode by default for a long time due to needing the increased permissions for other projects. Launching Unity without these elevated permissions caused it to open Monodevelop by default, even though Visual Studio was chosen in Edit -> Preferences -> External Tools -> External Script Editor. Running both in Administrator mode, or both in non-Administrator mode fixed these issues and I have full compliance between the two now.

Good luck!

Ryiah, softrare and Dustin-Horne like this.
  24. softrare

softrare

I just had the same problem. Removing the VS/solution files did not help. Then I did Build->Clean and worked instantly.

25. Whatever560

Whatever560

[EDIT] : Change log for unity tools, https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/vi...form/change-log-visual-studio-tools-for-unity

What is the last version number ?

I've got 3.3.0.2

Right now i'm testing the new assembly functionalities and only one of the project filter is shown in Visual. It actually tries to load 4 projects but there is one duplicate, which I guess is the second assembly. Shouldn't the assembly defined in the .asmdef be suffixed as plugins and editors are ?

Editor: Added assembly definition files for script compilation pipeline in the editor. This allows you to define your own managed assemblies based on scripts inside a folder. Splitting your project's scripts into multiple assemblies can greatly reduce script compilation times in the Editor. Note that the latest version of Visual Studio Tools for Unity is required for this feature to work with solution and project generation for Visual Studio.

26. visionman50

visionman50

hi, well a blind it student doing certificate iv interactive gaming and digital media from http://www.upskilled.edu.au and use a screen readers, jaws for windows http://www.freedomscientific.com andnon visual desktop access (nvda) from http://www.nvcaccess.org. nvda works okay with the unity editor, jaws just struggles, and have to use the jaws ocr feature to read text. well, would like the separate vsto downloalod for the unity tools for visual studio. when I did a search for download unity tools for visual studio, only for visual studio 2015. would love a simple separate download file to download the unityt ools, as visual studio 2017, is very accessible with screen readers, and unity is a bit hit and miss with accessibility. new to using unity. so want to use unity in visual studio. and don't want to use the beta version of visual studio. when will the next version came out, using visual studio 2017 community edition 32 bit version. 15.57. and did go through notifications and told me a visual studio update, and the installer open for visual studio and told me it was updating. so where can I download it, without having to jump through a lot more hoops. and don't have months to wait. so, any one know where I can download it, and do have the development game engine for it, but would like the project and item templates in visual studio 2017. just frustrated..

27. visionman50

visionman50

28. netlander

netlander

Visual Studio is at a reasonable state now with Unity plugin working well. Give it a try! (late answer I know)

29. Deleted User

Deleted User

I'm using Visual Studio 2017 and only get "Visual Studio Tools For Unity" 3.9.0.3.
    The latest is 4.1.1.0.
    Is it possible to update it? How?

30. Whatever560

Whatever560

I've contacted the team behind the plugin and the updates beyond 3.9.0.3 (the one I use as well) are only compatible with VS 2019. While using unity 2017 LTS we have to wait for unity team to make a compatibility patch between 2017LTS and VS 2019.

If you do not have this constraint, you could update to VS2019 and have the latest version.
    Best

31. ManavD

ManavD

Thank you so much for these steps. It really helped me in my 2 days struggle of making intellisense work in VS 2017.