Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Visual Scripting... When to use?

Discussion in 'Visual Scripting' started by AlphaGrizzlyBear, May 20, 2022.

1. AlphaGrizzlyBear

AlphaGrizzlyBear

I've been perusing some of the forum posts in regards to Bolt and visual scripting, people say that its helpful in some scenarios and not in some others, where writing the code would make more sense.

Are there drawbacks to picking and choosing? To using both written code and visual scripting in the same game? Do they conflict with each other?

A noob trying to figure out how I should move forward with a project ;)

thx

2. PanthenEye

PanthenEye

There are hardly any drawbacks to choosing only C#, that's how most Unity games are made. There are many drawbacks when picking only Visual Scripting, such as performance concerns, maintainability, extensibility, limited feature set, etc.

They do not conflict with each other. In fact, they're best used in tandem. Visual Scripting generates nearly all of its nodes automatically from Unity's C# scripting API. The same API that's used to write C# code. Visual Scripting basically is a C# code visualizer at this point in time. So they interact freely.

There are many benefits to start with Visual Scripting for Unity coding beginners. It abstracts a lot of the initial complexity of traditional C# code away and lets you focus 100% on the design. The ability to edit graphs in Play mode and immediately see results is a powerful tool for a beginner, since you can mess around until something works. And Fuzzy finder reveals how Unity is structured in general. And if you learn one, you basically learn the other as well since you're using the same API.

AlphaGrizzlyBear likes this.
  3. munchmo

munchmo

Personally, I feel that VS is the best and easiest way to deal with UI elements. I use it everywhere though, for just about anything, but there's no reason to only use VS, actual coding can be a lot easier in some ways.

AlphaGrizzlyBear likes this.