Search Unity

1. Looking for a job or to hire someone for a project? Check out the re-opened job forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 2020 LTS & Unity 2021.1 have been released.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Visual scripting roadmap update - September 2020

Discussion in 'Visual Scripting' started by LaurentGibert, Sep 28, 2020.

1. ezhilselvan

ezhilselvan

Visual Scripting in 2021.1.0f1 is an Official release?

danibacon likes this.
  2. theor-unity

theor-unity

Unity Technologies

what do you mean by "official release" ? unity 2021.1.0f1 is a non-beta release of unity. it ships with the new version of bolt, renamed Unity Visual Scripting.

ezhilselvan likes this.
  3. toomasio

toomasio

Does this mean that the current "look" of Visual Scripting will be the same even in a DOTS project? Or are there going to be separate VS packages for both DOTS and Mono projects?

4. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

The new look has a darker background ( can I change the color? if no, why not? )

The top shading of each node is now almost the same as the bottom of the node, I prefer the older way of lighter gray at the top, ( can I customize this, if no why not ? )

Thanks

5. theor-unity

theor-unity

Unity Technologies

the current plan is to have an extension of Unity VS for dots - so same ux, different backend.

The answer to "why not" is usually "because we didn't have the time to do it" :)

6. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Thats a nice answer, thanks, I'll be patiently waiting :)

Mark_01 likes this.
  7. awesomedata

awesomedata

You shouldn't have said that.

Get the chains. Tie the man to his computer. Get the whip, just in case he wants a "lunch" break or something.

In the corporate world, we call this "MANDATORY" overtime.

8. ericb_unity

ericb_unity

Unity Technologies

Not having this "MANDATORY overtime" make it possible to not over burn the employees and keep the team at a reasonable sanity level, making it possible to have a better quality of life. This enables us to continue to grab the best elements in our teams and also enables us to support the users as best we can in a better working environment where we feel that we can help each other as best as possible.

This is part of the reasons why I stopped working in the game industry on AAA projects with crunch times that are just supposed to be normal and seeing some people leave burned out and some other people never coming back.

I'm pretty sure it was sarcasm, but I felt it was important to point this out. In the end, all we want is to make development as accessible as possible to anybody.

9. MagdielM

MagdielM

I think they were trying to be sarcastic. Oh wow I'm blind.

10. awesomedata

awesomedata

Yes. I _definitely_ was being sarcastic.

Wow. That joke blew up in my face.

Geeze -- How could someone _not_ know @theor-unity (and everyone there) work hard enough? -- Clearly this is the case.
    In fact, who the hell in (or around) the games industry doesn't work hard??
    Visual Scripting is just not an easy thing to implement -- much less effectively -- otherwise there'd be a slew of these solutions laying about (and I wouldn't have an entire thread devoted to discussing the subject!)
    In short -- I 'get' this. And I was trying to nip any potential problem with this exact thing in the bud with my joke (in case anyone was thinking about really saying something like this) -- which clearly (unintentionally) made ME into the enemy.

Besides, the content of my reply was to poke fun at this one line -- not the whole games industry (much less the people, like myself, making tools for those still in it!)
    I was only joking that he opened himself up to someone (apparently not less considerate than me) saying something similar -- though way less exaggerated of course -- by explicitly giving his reason for x/y/z feature not being implemented as "we didn't have time to do it" -- as somebody (much less understanding -- and much more 'entitled' than most of us) would complain about this sort of thing, and naturally expect superhuman feats out of him. And there are no shortage of these people in the world. In effect -- I was arguing your point for you.

Clearly "chaining the man to his computer" is not a humane solution by anyone's definition (except the corporate one, as you pointed out -- which I thought I too had clearly pointed out through intense sarcasm). However, (like you pointed out) there are hugely important problems with this 'corporate' approach, and in no way was I trying to condone such activities. :/
    That said -- the times are definitely changing (thankfully), and this "crunch" problem is becoming less and less a thing (even though it definitely still exists), but I didn't expect to trigger anyone on this. Therefore I made the joke.
    That being said -- point taken. I retract my (terrible) joke meant to invoke fun banter into the thread, as I am clearly terrible at humor. Go me.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021 at 4:01 PM
    ericb_unity likes this.
unityunity