Search Unity

Feature Request Visual Scripting Post-it Notes

Discussion in 'Visual Scripting' started by mr-cowface, Aug 2, 2021.

1. mr-cowface

mr-cowface

Hello,

as I was using Visual Scripting I found myself wanting to write down specifics of what areas of the code would do. I think this feature could be beneficial to be able to make a sticky note of sorts to write down what something does, equivalent to a comment in other scripting languages.

Thank you

Canley and OldMage like this.
  2. SurreyMuso

SurreyMuso

I do agree with this and would put it in the category of "Things that could make your life easier in VS". I'm an old-timer when it comes to coding with text and, like many, searching in an IDE for methods, variables and so on is second nature to me.

However, I really, really enjoy working with VS, though larger projects frustrate me for their lack of basic programmer tools.

To get around the limitation you describe, I use decomposition with Subgraphs and the Group function to document my design. That works well but makes it even hard to find things.

Sort of: I know I used a similar bit of code somewhere but where did I put it???

3. jeanedouard_unity

jeanedouard_unity

Unity Technologies

We are currently working on updating the Visual Scripting frontend so that all our graph tools are uniform. With the new graph tool framework comes the Sticky Note feature. So that's definitely a feature you'll have in the future.

4. Trindenberg

Trindenberg

This was also something I thought ages ago, so did make a rewrite of the comment node in the addons community. Maybe went OTT haha

HitsuSan likes this.
  5. HitsuSan

HitsuSan

Do we have ETA on this?
    It couldn't arrive fast enough, imagine having to write an entire game without being able to write proper documentation on your code...

Arrdenet likes this.
  6. SurreyMuso

SurreyMuso

Just in case you're not familiar with this, you can create frames around your nodes by Ctrl-drag (Cmd-Drag on a Mac) around a number of nodes and then colouring them and giving them a title. That's a good way of decomposing your code and proving smallish comments. Create as many frames as you like, breaking the graph into separate sections.

I used to use this a lot for teaching purposes but lately, on a Mac at least, it doesn't work any more and creates problems with broken internal pointers. Might be better on a Windows machine.

7. AlexVillalba

AlexVillalba

Hi, any news?

8. LOLinc

LOLinc

I guess not...

9. REDACT3D_

REDACT3D_

can use "Groups" by holding CTRL and click dragging on the graph.
    Edit the text or what ever
    The nodes you place inside the bounds even move around when the group is selected.

n.PNG str.PNG g.PNG jazz.PNG