Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.4 has been released.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Ever participated in one our Game Jams? Want pointers on your project? Our Evangelists will be available on Friday to give feedback. Come share your games with us!
    Dismiss Notice

Visual Novel/RPG Conversation System.

Discussion in 'Works In Progress' started by Tsumik1, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Tsumik1

Tsumik1

UPDATE: This system is now complete, find it in the Asset Store. New forum thread Here!

Just a quick look at a system I am working on at the moment to enable people to create visual novels quickly and easily.

Only have the output to show for now, am hoping for some feedback as to the functionality of the system.

Last Updated: 10/06/2013

NEW WEB PLAYER DEMO.

The new webplayer demo is designed to show the system working in a more game-like manner.
    Controls:
    Movement: W A S D.
    Talk: Space.

Currently Implemented
    • XML parsing of custom scripts
    • Fully integrated character manager/editor.
    • Auto/Skip button functionality
    • Player character thought parsing.
    • Scene management.
    • Questions with answers leading to different paths.
    • Save/Load functionality.
    • Matching voice to lines.
    • Scene dependent music.
    • In-line responses.
    • Basic conversation editor.
    • In-line conversations.
    • Auto-close of the dialog box
    • Close button.
    • Can now load characters from resources to save Scene clutter when designing.
    • Fixed a ton of bugs and made it Web-Player friendly once again by adding a 'Save Enabled' toggle for web.
    • Full custom conversation editor.
    • Custom Inspectors

To-Do
    • Conversation history.
    • Character Expressions
    • Scene Transitions
    • New web-player build which shows more features.

Screens/Webplayer

Old Webplayer!
    Webplayer Link

Disclaimer
    I do NOT claim ownership of any of the backgrounds/character artwork. These are just placeholders to demonstrate the system.
    However the text-boxes/buttons etc. were designed and created by myself.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  2. Tsumik1

Tsumik1

Update
    I have done some more work on the overall functionality of the system, added some new functionality and fixed a heap of bugs.

New Features
    • Save/Load functionality works via XML format, am looking at maybe adding a secondary system for this
    • Auto and Skip buttons work as intended now.

Screenshots

Notes
    I haven't updated the Webplayer as yet as I haven't had chance to implement reading the XML through WWW, shouldn't be too difficult and may have a demo up in the next couple of days.

3. Tsumik1

Tsumik1

Been quite busy the last few days bringing some editor functionality to the system.

I have created a script editor so that new conversations can be created with ease. The script editor takes all the parameters associated with a cutscene/conversation and saves them in a compatible XML format ready to be used in game.

I have also started work on custom inspectors to allow for easy editing of characters and backgrounds.
    Script Editor
    $editorScreen1.jpg

Custom Inspectors
    $editorScreen2.jpg

The layout of these are currently for functionality purposes, I will hopefully spend some time refining them and cleaning them up for ease of use/consistency.

4. zephren

zephren

This looks very impressive, but I am working on an rpg game, that will be heavy in dialogue as the goal is to make the player feel that he is in a comic book story, How hard is it to implement into an rpg game?

is there a way to try out the system?

5. Tsumik1

Tsumik1

First of I just wanna say thanks for taking a look at this :).

It should pretty much be a case of dropping in a package, setting up backgrounds/characters/sound/music. Then using the editor to define what characters say and when etc. I still have to make a few tweaks to move the game from Level to Level but that's likely to be implemented in the next few days anyway. If your assets are all ready to go it should only take about 10 minutes to get this system up and running.

As for trying the system I will probably try and get some people to do some testing before releasing it for free on the asset store(will set up a forum for support for the free version).

I will also offer a 'pro' version for $5 which will entitle users to first hand support from myself.

Once the majority of the system is complete I will spend some time building some video tutorials to help people set it up.

I'm doing this project in-between a couple of others but am hoping to have an initial test version out in the next couple of weeks. If you want to know more or have any more questions just send me a PM :).

6. vladimirdlc

vladimirdlc

Cool, have you planned a release date to test it and play with it?

7. Tsumik1

Tsumik1

I'm currently moving house atm so will be out of action for a couple of weeks, which has pushed this back a little bit. I'm hoping to have a test version ready for release towards the back end of April. Have some new features and ideas I want to try and put into this beforehand such as in-line decisions and creating the choice of XML or native types to make it a little more user-friendly.

8. Tsumik1

Tsumik1

Minor Update
    I have added in-line responses to the system that will enable this tool to be more useful in an RPG setting.
    I will hopefully be updating the webplayer build in the next week or so to reflect the changes made.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  9. LNMRae

LNMRae

This is looking great! I'm trying to do something similar to Persona 4's conversation system, where you move around in a 3D world but when you talk to characters, a dialog box pops up with the characters face above it. Would that be possible with this system?

Either way, amazing work so far.

10. Tsumik1

Tsumik1

Thanks a lot :D.

I can't see why not, when i started work on the in-line version this is pretty much what I had in mind anyway. As it stands a 'dialogue script' would have to be written per character, but that shouldn't be much of an issue. I was planning a sample where you control a character and talk to various other characters in a game world, am hoping to start beta testing in April, or at the very least sharing some of the system with the community :).

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  11. LNMRae

LNMRae

I'm looking very forward to it, I think it's exactly what I'm looking for. Thank you for doing this and for intending to share it with the community! It's incredibly generous of you. I'll keep checking back on this thread and your blog. I'll be happy to beta test it when you release it.

12. Tsumik1

Tsumik1

Update 25/03/2013

NEW WEB PLAYER DEMO.

The new webplayer demo is designed to show the system working in a more game-like manner.
    Controls:
    Movement: W A S D.
    Talk: Space.

You currently have to get very close to the NPCs to engage in conversations.

$screen7.jpg

Added Functionality:
    • In-line conversations.
    • Auto-close of the dialog box
    • Close button.
    • Can now load characters from resources to save Scene clutter when designing.
    • Fixed a ton of bugs and made it Web-Player friendly once again by adding a 'Save Enabled' toggle for web.

I'm hoping that integration with other peoples systems isn't going to be too difficult, I am trying to make it as simple as possible but I hope that easy for me translates into something that everyone can use without it breaking everything.

I will be happy to let you beta test it soon am hoping to share it in the next few weeks for people to have a play with, watch this space :).

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  13. Tsumik1

Tsumik1

Been incredibly busy in the last few weeks and have neglected this project a little more than I would have liked.

But without further ado I have made some adjustments to the system and am edging ever closer to an inevitable release.

Updates:

• Completely revamped the dialog editor with a new layout and better functionality.
    • Tweaked demos for more fluid presentation.
    • Revamped save/load functionality.

Also new web player demo :D.

Still to-do:

• Webplayer demo with voiceovers
    • Clean Package
    • Create settings editor.
    • Bug fixes

New Screenshots

New Webplayer Demo
    Controls:
    W A S D - Move
    Space - Speak

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/102437179/VNExample2/VNExample2.html

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  14. LNMRae

LNMRae

Yes! Very excited about this still!

15. TheNorthridge

TheNorthridge

If I could create a fallout like dialogue system, I'd be all over it :)

16. Tsumik1

Tsumik1

I can't see it being too hard to implement with what is currently working. You would pretty much just have to link the camera focus on a character in the world and then match animations to line numbers if you were to have the NPCs speak. I might think about including a sample that does just that nearer release :).

Thanks for taking an interest, keeps me motivated to work on it :).

17. Tsumik1

Tsumik1

Just added a settings controller to the system so everything can be set up. I've tried to make a ton of fail-safes so it can't be easily broken. Am hoping to make a couple of tutorials next week and then release this both on my blog and (if approved) on the asset store. I just have to get some new stock backgrounds that I know I have permission to use.

But getting there :D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  18. LNMRae

LNMRae

Amazing stuff, it looks like you really polished this. It looks great, I can't wait to use it! Thank you for all of the work you've put into it.

19. Tsumik1

Tsumik1

Just a brief update on this. I have been pretty busy with game projects and haven't had much chance to work on this. I intend to spend a good bit of next Monday finishing this up and making a first release along with a tutorial/video :).

20. Tsumik1

Tsumik1

Little bit delayed, found a bunch of bugs that needed fixing with the editor side of things. Am currently in the process of commenting my code, will hopefully get some basic documentation and basic tutorial up within the next week or so...I really hope haha :).

21. Neuroprovocateur

Neuroprovocateur

Wow, this looks awesome and extremely useful. Can't wait to try it out! :D

22. Tsumik1

Tsumik1

unityunity