Search Unity

Visual Logic Editor (Antares VIZIO) : (video screens)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Neodrop, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Neodrop

Neodrop

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  2. Neodrop

Neodrop

Now we have a Free Edition right in Asset Store!

$09878ade-ce7a-4edb-a692-257dbacb4d48.jpg

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  3. JohnyZuper

JohnyZuper

The Asset Store didn't want to download version 1.21 for me, so I deleted my VIZIO folders (except for ProjectData) and imported the package. That worked but the Universe editor still says that it's on version 1.20.

4. Neodrop

Neodrop

You mean Free ?

5. JohnyZuper

JohnyZuper

No, I've purchased Universe a while ago. I've updated it multiple times already.

6. Neodrop

Neodrop

In my Store project all fine as I see. I think, something wrong in Asset Store itself. I will try reload it and notify the crew about it.

7. Neodrop

Neodrop

BTW - try to import Free version. If all will work fine, the problem in the Commercial package on the Store.

8. JohnyZuper

JohnyZuper

Yes. That worked! Now it says "1.21 (beta)" and there's a new Animation Get/Clips Info block (among many others, I'm sure). Thanks!

9. Neodrop

Neodrop

New for next release (1.22)

Two nodes for ProceduralMaterial group :

1. Get Properties : Will return an array of all available procedural properties names.

2. Get Property Type : Check the procedural property type and activate one from 10 output triggers :
    1. Not Found
    2. BOOL
    3. COLOR RGB
    4. COLOR RGBA
    5. ENUM
    6. FLOAT
    7. VECTOR2
    8. VECTOR3
    9. VECTOR4
    10. TEXTURE

$ProcMaterialsNodes.jpg

10. bigSky

bigSky

Hats off to you good sirs, for speed and usefulness!:D

11. Neodrop

Neodrop

Our Free version are changed from "Free for non commercial" to "Full Free"

Free version have no limits right now, but can be a bit limited in the future. Also, it show a small banner on application start.

Cheers, NeoPax team.

12. Neodrop

Neodrop

New description are uploaded, but pending review by Unity.

13. EmadGh

EmadGh

Great work NeoPax ..., Thank you :)

14. bigSky

bigSky

Does the free version mean that those of us who paid for the tool can expect supercharged (pro-only) features soon? ;)

15. Neodrop

Neodrop

Yes. Something like PRO-only features will be. Also no banners on start ;)

16. Neodrop

Neodrop

A little example about how to find textures on your HDD using Universe and System.IO.Directory

$SystemIO.jpg

17. taumel

taumel

I was thinking about how much sense it would make if you offer a procedural texture generator. You have written all the editor stuff inside unity already. There are libs around on the net how to generate a variety of procedural textures as well, which you could take as a basis to start from. If you provide the source for the generation, it could be part of each distribution, also the webplayer. Obviously as written in C#, it would come with a performance penalty but then again i think there are a number of use cases where it just could be good enough. Offering and feeding parameters wouldn't be an issue as well. If it turns out fast&flexible enough and would be reasonable priced this could sell quite well.

18. Neodrop

Neodrop

I do not think, what it's easy and fast to win this race with Allegorithmics Substance.

19. taumel

taumel

I think for some unknown reasons, maybe negotiations didn't work out the way both hoped for, we ended up without the once intended implementation of Substances into Unity directly. What we're now left with is a situation where we got native access for a solution which is proprietary and overpriced for many situations. You can do quite fancy stuff with the Substance Designer but for a large amount of projects it will be just overkill. On one side you'll pay for stuff you'll never need. On the other side their "cheap" offered product is still too pricey, sounds that it will be limited in aspects you'll want&need but then again comes with all the complexity/flexibility due to the capabilities of their engine which you won't need again as well.

It's important to note that i definately would wait and see how their V2 of Lite shapes up in real but my feeling after playing around with the older version, reading how they tick what they intend to do is that chances are high that there will be a gap for what could be reasonable for quite some projects. A product which fills this gap could do very well because it makes sense in this environment. For instance there do exist a couple of high priced procedural texture generators but there also do exist a few more reasonable priced ones which maybe only do 80% of what the others are able to but those are the 80% you need and so they are just fine, sometimes even better but unknown. As i wrote somewhere else already what's missing is a Pixelmator instead of a Photoshop solution for procedural texturing in Unity. Unity is going the Pro and Electronic Arts buddies route a lot lately.

The downside is that the success of your product depends on how they act in the future. If they decide coming up with a reasonable priced well featured product, then you might be out of business but that is a possibility everyone who offers a feature Unity doesn't offer at a certain time shares and the question is how big are the chances that it happens. I think it's at least worth to think about it. There are pros as well as cons but personally i would be more interested in such a product than in a VSL solution and i think that i'm not the only one.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  20. Neodrop

Neodrop

May be you have any interesting links ? I will looking for it in free time.

21. Neodrop

Neodrop

Universe 1.22 is uploaded to the AssetStore.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  22. Neodrop

Neodrop

It's happend!
    Release 1.23 will present Containers.
    No more complexity graphs!

Containers it's possibility to save any visual code inside Logic Block (node) and reuse it as many times, as you wish. In other words - it's user created nodes, which are created from other nodes with no one line of ordinary code (if you wish so).
    Coming soon.

23. bigSky

bigSky

Whoo Hoo!

24. Neodrop

Neodrop

Also, any existing graphs or it parts (logic chains) can be easy converted in new Container with preservation of all internal links and variables values.

25. kshaja

kshaja

26. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Hey Neodrop, I finally checked out Antares (kick ass tool) And now I am just wondering if there is a way to Blend two or animations (such as running) and then return to idle animations using this tool...

I have a character who needs to be able to do all of this and I was wondering if u have any tutorials on how to do this... thanks a bunch :)

27. Neodrop

Neodrop

28. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Sounds cool... it looks like I will have to get my hands dirty with this... I am not too familiar with visual scripting... so far I have only been able to get my character's idle animation to play... and now i want to get my animations working based on input from the controller...

Thanks a bunch

29. Neodrop

Neodrop

Check Input >> CrossFade Animation >> Play in your game ;)
    It's very easy after one-two succesfull tests.

Something like this :

$FSMandAnimation.jpg

Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
  30. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I was thinking of that too... I started off by cloning the Activator (Start) and changed it to update, but I think FSM's work way better... :)... I will also have to do this for assigning damage shaders to my model based on physical damage and collisions... I'll give this a try now with the animations... I have an animation that has a walk animation that is split into two (don't know why I needed two) and now i want to blend them...

Looking forward to learning more

31. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

That looks pretty cool...now looking for that Selector node... that has the icons on it... so much fun and so much to learn :)

Never mind, i got it... i also wanted to let you know that i am using my control pad for my inputs

32. Neodrop

Neodrop

MMO game developed in Antares Universe (VIZIO)
    Work in progress.

$WIP.jpg

33. Neodrop

Neodrop

We have no limits instead our competitors ;)

34. Mark_T

Mark_T

MMO? Looking impressive. Especially in the browser. :)
    Maybe a tutorial for the GUI?

35. Neodrop

Neodrop

36. Neodrop

Neodrop

CONTAINERS!
    How to create reusable node right from visual code .
    (Soon in english, but in russian now)

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  37. holyjewsus

holyjewsus

awesome neodrop, this is just in time for my work. Release soon?

38. Neodrop

Neodrop

I can upload it right now, but I want to wait a little to translate this video into English for your convenience.

39. holyjewsus

holyjewsus

I'll learn russian!!! ;)

40. Neodrop

Neodrop

Unfortunately, you are not my single user ;) ;)

41. SimonAlkemade

SimonAlkemade

How is the smaller file size for iOS coming along? Is Pax back on it? And how much approximately will it cost?

kind regards,
    Simon

42. Neodrop

Neodrop

I still wait for him, but hope on days. The price not will be more 50$

43. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Neodrop I think you are a nice guy so I got a few suggestions for you, while I am not your customer sadly (I went with PlayMaker and uScript) I think you can take a few lessons from looking at your competitor's product which are more well thought out.

1. Interface design - looking at uScript you can immediately see how functional its interface is - its clearly readable because each node is colored in bright, distinctive colors (orange, bright yellow), it makes it much easier to read the graph than getting confused when looking at maze of nodes in all the same color with same background color (all gray). Its frustrating. If you have a even slightly complicated project I will bet it will take 100 times longer to understand the graphs than if you color the nodes because you will have to constantly zooming in to read each label of the nodes.

vs

Think of it this way, the people who buys your product are almost definitely designers (not coders, or else they would just code) who are very visual people. Looking at graphs and trying to visually making sense of the code is like looking at the instrumental panel of a space station. If every button and switch are all just text labels (even emergency buttons, power on buttons) with same grey color (so its almost same color as the metal) do you think the astronaut can get anything done? They would be spending so much time reading the labels they can't get anything done. Not to mention if there is an emergency, time is running out and you are trying to find the eject button but its in a maze of 1000 buttons all text labels all looks the same........

Even most of the IDE (Integrated development environment) like Microsoft Visual Studio color coded the syntax nowadays ("Syntax highlighting") so its easier to pick out than if all of the code are all same black color text.

2. I never understand why programmers often decides to be "creative" by putting "programmer art" into the most inappropriate place. If you look above at Universe - you see that embossed graffiti graphics in the background - its almost the same color as the lines in the link graph. It makes it EVEN HARDER to see which line is the background, and which line is the actual graph line. You need to strive to make your user's life easier, NOT HARDER. I would suggest you remove that background graphics and also make your lines more visible (and less curvy because curvy makes it hard to trace relationships).

These are just the stuff I found, I really REALLY want to like Antare Universe, but until it become more functional and more thought out and user friendly, I can't put my money down on this one yet. Thanks for listening :)

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  44. Dreamora

Dreamora

As owner of all 3 (and beta tester of uScript) I agree up to a given point bawss :)

The coloring definitely needs work in Universe, its not visually readable commonly without comment boxes, which is pretty time consuming.

There is one point though where I clearly favor Universe approach over uScript: uScript forces you to make dummy variables even for direct forwarding, which is hell annoying (and leads to less optimized code as its not just a relay invoke) if you didn't want to store it in form of a named variable or use as input for more than one node.

45. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

uScript? or do you mean Antare Universe?

I found uScript highly readable, I can zoom out and still understand what's going on without having to zoom in just to read the text label. That's the beauty of color coding.

46. Dreamora

Dreamora

naturally I mean Universe :)
    Fixed that

47. juan-jo

juan-jo

I agree, especially that Neodrop is a nice guy.

Sure for my next works I'll use one of Universe or uScript.
    From what I've seen, as former user of Quest3D, both systems seem a bit confusing visually, although uScript seems more readable and less intimidating. I am not saying I prefer the colorful. At first glance I prefer the apparent sobriety of Universe, but uScript has chosen a rather discreet color palette that does not bother me.

I do not know yet which I will choose, because both have advantages and disadvantages difficult to compare, but certainly Universe would benefit from aesthetic review.
    Also maybe links to represent horizontally execution flow add links uScript not need. Maybe a color or thickness difference between both might help.

Maybe a colored version of the Strumpy Shader Editor would be nice, although Universe is necessarily more complex.

48. juan-jo

juan-jo

I think they need to be curved, since the data flow links link out of the bottom to the top of nodes that are aside.

49. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

LOL, talk about Quest 3D I can't believe it is DEAD! Its staying at v4 for a long time now.

I think Unity killed it ! :D

UNITY POOWWAAA!

I think at one stage (few years ago just before Quest3D v3.5 came out) I was really seriously thinking to buy Quest3D Power Edition.....(even had my credit card out...but then back out at the last moment).... lucky for me I didn't or all that money would have been wasted. :D

Out of all the "visual programming" game development kit, I found Unity + uScript + PlayMaker the most appealing to me. Virtools and Quest3D were probably the pioneers but for some reason Quest3D is dead now. Virtools on the other hand seems to be not doing that much better largely due to they miss out on the iPhone/Android boat and also being highly unaffordable (something like $9999 last time I checked).

50. holyjewsus

holyjewsus

I think grasshopper has one of the best line types, the lines change based on the kind of data being moved.

either solid, colored, or dotted.