Search Unity

TextMesh Pro Visual effects with TMPro text

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by dgoyette, Feb 28, 2019.

1. dgoyette

dgoyette

This is a tricky question because it involves a number of different components. I asked something similar on the Image Effects forums, but no hits there, so maybe I'll have better luck here.

I've been wanting to create an in-game 3D UI, like a holographic display. It should ideally be as simple as a world-space canvas with a custom shader to make it looks interesting (distortion, wavey lines, static, etc). I've got something that looks pretty good for built-in Unity UI components, but because it's shader-based, it doesn't work with TextMeshPro (which uses its own shaders).

So I'm trying to understand what my options are. I'm using HDRP and ShaderGraph to make my shader, which I'm sure adds another level of complexity to things, but ideally I'd be able to keep doing that.

So, are there any options with TMPro to using interesting image effects on worldspace canvases? A reminder that it's not just TMPro content on the UI: There are other things, like images and buttons, which should all use the same overall effect.

Thanks.